996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Brake Fluid-Low Warning - False

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 11:19 AM
AndyW is on a distinguished road
Question Brake Fluid-Low Warning - False

I recently went to the track and on the third session, ended up getting a "Brake Fluid Low - warning". Got off the track, checked fluid (level @ max), checked pads (plenty). Let the car cool a bit, turned it off, turned it back on. Warning never came back on the fourth session.

Bled the brake system, at all four corners and replaced fluid with Motul 600.

Went for an early morning drive in the mountains with lots of twisty roads... and the warning came on 'twice'. Each time, turning off the car, made the warning go away. Each time, the pads and the fluid level were checked. No problem in either case.

I have a 2002 996 TT with a stock brake set-up.

Anyone have any ideas ? please ?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 09-09-2004, 11:29 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Andy,
I experienced the exact same response the last two times I went to the track. It can be a bit disheartening! I have the Brembo GT kit but still get the same symptoms. Unfortunately, the only idea I ever came up with was sloshig around of the fluid and a sensitive sensor.
I too would appreciate other opinions.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by KPV
Andy,
I experienced the exact same response the last two times I went to the track. It can be a bit disheartening! I have the Brembo GT kit but still get the same symptoms. Unfortunately, the only idea I ever came up with was sloshig around of the fluid and a sensitive sensor.
I too would appreciate other opinions.
Kevin,

Thanks for the quick response. What year is your car ? I thought about the sloshing around, but I had the fluid level filled to the 'max' level, and I looked at where the connector lay, and it's pretty 'low' on the reservoir. Although I can't swear to it, it 'looks' like if it's filled to the max-line, there is a low chance that the fluid would slosh 'away' enough from the sensor that it would set it off.... then again, this is just an 'eyeball' check.

When it happened on the track, I assumed it was fluid boil-over from the stock fluid. But, I have been at the track with Motul 600 on other cars, with both weak brakes and strong brakes, and never had the boil over problem, especially with strong brakes (six piston AP Racing calipers, 14" rotors, with cooling ducts).

I was especially surprised to get it in the mountain twisties, where it's not as likely that I can get the higher G's that i think I can get at the track. Then again, in the hills, the twisties then do tend to throw me left and right, more 'frequently' than on the track.

Did you continue despite the warning, and didn't have any kind of brake fade, failure, or otherwise ?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 09-09-2004, 11:58 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
Have you tried making a U-turn on a steep hill in SF to see if you can trigger it on demand? Maybe brake hard or take off fast on steep hill like taylor street.

When warning light come on, does it stay on for awhile?

I've been hearing a strange beep at times but I don't see any light come on by the time I can look down.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:18 PM
First, two things happen :

1) A nice "Brake Fluid Low" warning message shows up on my display
2) The "Brake" warning light indicator goes on.

I can 'dismiss' #1 via the computer stalk, but the #2 stays on (and is only "reset" when I turn the car off and then back on).

When I was driving through the mountains, I dismissed the warning once (which removed the text warning, but the brake warning light stays on), kept going, got braver, kept pushing more and more and sure enough, warning comes back on "brake fluid low".

Is there a 'fix' to this, or is this 'accepted' ? I find it a little disappointing that a car meant to be thrown around for spirited driving, would be subsceptible to this little 'bug'. Question is.... is it a warning that can really be ignored, or does it have 'implications' that should NOT be ignored ?

Old 09-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Kevin,

You said you had this experience the last two times you were on the track. My impressions are that you've been to the track way more than twice. What do you think brought this on the last two times, versus previous times ?

Something is degrading on the system ? Or are you just pushing it a LOT harder through the turns now ? ;-)

j/k.

But seriously, trying to gather as much information/other cases as possible.

What kind of brake fluid are you running ?

Andy

Old 09-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by collin996tt
Have you tried making a U-turn on a steep hill in SF to see if you can trigger it on demand? Maybe brake hard or take off fast on steep hill like taylor street.

When warning light come on, does it stay on for awhile?

I've been hearing a strange beep at times but I don't see any light come on by the time I can look down.
I haven't tried that, but this weekend, I may go out and try to make some fairly severe 'yawing' of the steering wheel to see if I can reproduce it on demand. I'd feel more comfortable doing that, then going back into the hills and doing it in 'real time/life' (or play with this problem at the next track event).

Andy

Old 09-09-2004, 12:23 PM
mowblowgo is on a distinguished road
I experienced the same warning. Left the track briefly to check tire pressures, and got the warning as I re-entered the track. After 1/4 of a lap or so, the warning went away. This happend one other session as well. Levels fine, temp OK. I have an 02TT with stock brakes, braided lines, blue racing fluid. Go figure.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by mowblowgo
I experienced the same warning. Left the track briefly to check tire pressures, and got the warning as I re-entered the track. After 1/4 of a lap or so, the warning went away. This happend one other session as well. Levels fine, temp OK. I have an 02TT with stock brakes, braided lines, blue racing fluid. Go figure.
Did your "Brake Fluid Low" text warning go away ? Or did the 'Brake' warning light go away ?

The former being a text message that you can dismiss with the computer stalk. The latter seems to be one of the warning indicators, that didn't go away for me, until I reset the car (turned off and turned back on).

Thanks,

Old 09-09-2004, 02:44 PM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
Yikes. Sounds like another one of those 2nd gear popout phenomenon where the dealer can't prove or disprove?
Better report it with porsche service dept first so they have a record before your warranty is over

Old 09-09-2004, 03:04 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Do the GT2/3 use a diffrent brake fluid reservoir? How come this only happens on 996tt? Maybe someone can figure out if the 2 and 3 use something diffrent and that we may be able to use it as an upgrade.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:55 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
happens on mine too Not sure why yet...

Old 09-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
This problem happen to me yesterday after I blead my brakes, but I also got a notice that PSM was deactivated. Talked with my local Porsche Tech (Porsche of Arlington, good guys ask for Mark) and he said that the float in the fluid resivoir gets stuck and gives the false reading. He said I could bring it in to have it reset or find a rough road to get the float to move again. The rough road worked for me last night. I also run the blue brake fluid. Hope this helps?

Old 09-09-2004, 07:27 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Andy,
First off, it is Ken, not Kevin. No harm, no foul.
I have taken the turbo on the track twice. I have taken many other cars on the track many other times. Gunther's explanation of a sticking float seems to makes sense although it is kind of silly in a car like this. My brakes are the Brembo GT's with 15 in rotors with 8 piston calipers in front and 14 inch rotors and larger 4 piston calipers in the rear. I am using Brembo's own racing brake fluid (600 degree). Even with the disconcerting lights going off, I paused through it the first time and then drove through it the subsequent times without ill effects. I was running Pocono wherein you are constantly braking from 160mph to about 80mph off the front straight. I never experienced any fade or any other detrimental effect.

I am filled to the max line as well on the reservoir. I wonder if the reservoir was less full if the effect would go away. Maybe the high fill level places the float at a point in the reservoir that is more susceptible to binding. Maybe we should try lower fluid levels??? Technically, anything between the High and Low marks is acceptable.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Gunther
This problem happen to me yesterday after I blead my brakes, but I also got a notice that PSM was deactivated. Talked with my local Porsche Tech (Porsche of Arlington, good guys ask for Mark) and he said that the float in the fluid resivoir gets stuck and gives the false reading. He said I could bring it in to have it reset or find a rough road to get the float to move again. The rough road worked for me last night. I also run the blue brake fluid. Hope this helps?
Thanks for this information. But, this means that this may happen again. If this is my problem, then I am 'prone' to having it again, as it has happened a few times across different days, across different driving situations (but all during 'spirited driving').

Thanks very much for this tidbit of information.

Andy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid-Low Warning - False