996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rev's go up when shifting? Off the gas and clutch=strange

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:24 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Rev's go up when shifting? Off the gas and clutch=strange

So I've had my 996tt for about a week and a half now. It's in excellent shape and runs good. Doesn't need anything except for me to learn about it's little quirks.

Sometimes when shifting fast and at full throttle, when I push in the clutch and let off the gas at the same time to go in the next gear, the rpm's will go up a little instead of falling down like a normal throttle body car...is this normal for drive by wire?

I'm thinking that since it's drive by wire and I'm off the throttle, there must be a little delay and the computer is still giving it some gas. Might be off on the gas pedal/throttle body calibration?

I know for my AEM Supra I use to have, if i didn't set the correct TPS range for closed and full throttle it might do something similar to this.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
I had this same experience when I first got my car. I believe you are just not getting off the gas quick enough. I started trying to get of the gas a little earlier when shifting, and now its automatic, and I no longer see the small little rpm "blip." That was my experience anyway. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Sounds like your clutch is slipping.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
clutch slipping for sure...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I have the same thing going on...doesn't happen all the time, and I've had two instances where I could actually smell the clutch after an rpm spin-up when shifting into 5th or 6th...but it's a sure sign of time to start shopping for a clutch...perhaps the wife can be talked into a great Christmas present? I recently bought the UMW flash...and even for those who might drive relatively conservatively.....Kevin usually warns his customers about the next "gotta' have" will be a clutch.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
How could it be a clutch if I'm pressing in on the clutch all the way? At this point the clutch disk isn't engaged, and I'm off the gas. I'm just not sure why the rev's don't fall very quick between gear changes.

If I were to press the clutch in,shift into the next gear, let off the clutch and give it gas with my foot on the pedal and the rpms remain high before falling then that would be a definite slip.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
My apologies....I misunderstood your explanation of what was happening..