996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What is the highest 1/4 mile trap speed possible with EVO Stage 4GT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Banned
Accomplice is on a distinguished road
What is the highest 1/4 mile trap speed possible with EVO Stage 4GT?

I'm curious as to what kind of cars you could beat with this kit on street tires. Once the trap speed is beyond 125 I take it you could handle most of the usual suspects: vipers, diablos, murcielagos, Zonda, GT2s, etc. (in stock form of course). I'm curious as to what stage or whp must be attained in a 996TT to handle some of the bigger dogs: McLaren F1, turbo/ supercharged vipers or vettes, Enzo, single turbo Supras etc. (1/4 mile trap speeds of 132-145 MPH).

Kevin

Old 09-14-2003, 09:18 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Unless everything was perfect, I doubt a Stage IV GT with 540 rwhp could break 126 mph ET. I am talking drag strip times against the stage lights, not G Tech Meter type times.

Last edited by cjv; 09-14-2003 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:24 PM
Banned
Hmmm. Do you guys generally consider the EVO 4 GT stage to be near the highest state of tune for a 996TT that is to be used as a daily driver (if one required extreme reliability)?

There are some supercharged vipers around here that would be tough to beat at 'only' a 125 MPH trap speed. Other than some 650 RWHP supras those blown vipers are probably about the toughest cars to beat in my area. Any idea what those trap at?

Kevin

Old 09-14-2003, 09:39 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
just out of curiousity, how old are the people that care about **** like this? What difference does it make if you can beat a blown Viper or not in a straight line??

Old 09-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Banned
Oh I forgot to add a disclaimer about how I know Porsches are meant for road racing not drag racing blah blah blah. Most 996TT owners won't ever take their car onto either kind of track so that argument is silly. What most owners will likely do is have some harmless stop light to stop light fun with other high end car owners. So when you think about it, straight line performance is the most likely performance aspect ever to be fully exploited by owners. Now let's hear the 'at the end of the day he still going home in a viper and you'll have a Porsche statement.' Once we get that out of the way we should have our bases covered for generic arguments. It sounds like people are looked down upon if they buy a quick car and actually use some of that performance they paid a premium for. I'd just like to be able to mod my highend sports car to have some fun against some exotics.

Kevin

Old 09-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
I take my car to the track, and for practice, I slam the canyons every single day.

I use all the power in my car, well, at least the boost guage and tachometer tell me so. I usually don't do stoplight drag races because they're boring and pointless.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:20 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
i don't personally have anything against people who drag race or want to make their car as fast as possible, i just think when you start doing your mods just so you can "beat the Jones's" you've missed the point

Old 09-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Banned
Understood. I guess everybody wants their car to be competitive for whatever application best suits the situation. There are no road courses or even 1/4 mile drag racing tracks in my immediate area. Organized racing is something I'd have to go without. It won't matter if I end up with a stock E55 or modded 996TT my only outlet will be the occassional highway or back road contest for fun.

Kevin

Old 09-14-2003, 10:57 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I still think a lot depends on conditions. Remember I ran 11.6 twice at 123 and 124 with just a chip. Yes it was winter time and cold but still

We'll see what happens now with Kevin's turbos/tuning etc...

Old 09-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
I race against myself. I can now get to the local 7-11 in 3:12:45. Another 50 hp and I should break 3 minutes.

Racing against anyone else is simply (IMHO) a matter of $. Given enough money Stephen, Matt or whoever could make a car fast enough to beat anyone until that person upped the ante.

To each his own. I drive my car at 8/10 every day and have a smile on my face. I could care less what anyone else drives, thinks, or says.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Ok with that in mind.. I think we should all show up at Sacramento Raceway and race for pink slips!

Old 09-14-2003, 11:23 PM
racer63 is on a distinguished road
Re: What is the highest 1/4 mile trap speed possible with EVO Stage 4GT?

Originally posted by Accomplice
I'm curious as to what kind of cars you could beat with this kit on street tires. Once the trap speed is beyond 125 I take it you could handle most of the usual suspects: vipers, diablos, murcielagos, Zonda, GT2s, etc. (in stock form of course). I'm curious as to what stage or whp must be attained in a 996TT to handle some of the bigger dogs: McLaren F1, turbo/ supercharged vipers or vettes, Enzo, single turbo Supras etc. (1/4 mile trap speeds of 132-145 MPH).

Kevin
My guess is about 125 or so. But I've never tried it. I went drag racing once about five years ago. I got like three runs in something like 8 hours. A lot like my experience with autocross... Not quite what I was looking for. I'm barely awake after three runs , and it usually takes at least an hour of on track time to get me motivated to make the 8 hour commitment. So, that's where the road racing car comes into play.

As for the exotic cars mentioned above, I've not yet once come up at a stoplight against any one of them. And I live in an area with probably more exotics per capita than just about anywhere else in the US. In my neighborhood alone, there's an Enzo, a Maclaren (the one that was in R&T a few months back), several Ferraris and Vipers, a Z8, a Z06 and other Vettes, a bunch of NA 911s, a Maserati Spyder, assorted AMGs, and another 996TT. Yet, strangely enough, we never end up at a stop light at the same time. But, surely, one of these days, I'll have a go with one or two of the above.

Finally, I live in one of the worst speed traps in the U.S. So, basically, all I can do is 0-the flow of traffic extremely quickly... then take off on the weekends and run the canyons. Still, the stage 4gt is worth every penny. Better drivability than stock, phenomenal acceleration, and excellent reliability.

Last edited by racer63; 09-14-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:57 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Kevin,

Currently from the best know tuners there is a PES/EVO Stage 5 kit good for 700 hp, my car is currently being morphed into this beast. I will probably make one trip to the drags to see what it might run and then will be doing road courses after that.

Other than that you can spend MEGA BUCKS for a one off engine like CJV (Chad) has, he is currently running around 805 hp. It is all about CUBIC DOLLARS. How much do you want to spend?

Old 09-15-2003, 09:58 AM
racer63 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by buddyg
Kevin,

Currently from the best know tuners there is a PES/EVO Stage 5 kit good for 700 hp, my car is currently being morphed into this beast. I will probably make one trip to the drags to see what it might run and then will be doing road courses after that.

Buddy. Are you really going to run the full 700 HP on road courses? I'd be very hesitant to do that. If you are running anywhere near even 9/10, I don't think the engine will last without internal mods. My guess is you are looking at < 20 hours of track time per rebuild with a 700 HP engine and no internal mods.

IMO, the higher HP mods (without internal mods) are really intended more for street and strip, not for road courses. That is, unless you have a very large racing budget; but if you have that kind of budget, why not do the internal mods while you are at it... to spare yourself the broken pieces that can be much more costly to fix down the road.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:01 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I have not heard that running the 700 hp on the track would be a problem. It is probably more horsepower than is needed on the track. I will have to ask the boys at PES/EVO what they think.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the highest 1/4 mile trap speed possible with EVO Stage 4GT?