996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt KW v3 Suspension " too bouncy on street " setup thoughts plz ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Martin, I'm not confused man. I understand what you're saying, and what I was getting at is with regards to your (and others) experience with PSS9s. If you are having trouble with Motons as well, then I'd be trying to buy a few books on suspension dynamics to help you with the setup. At some point, you have to take over from your shop and do the fine tuning yourself or it will get very expensive.

My car came to me with the PSS9s and the H/R sway bars already on it. It also had been corner balanced by the owner in his own private shop, with his own scales and equipment. This guy wasn't a racer, but an average enthusiast. He bought a bunch of books and read, and learned by trial and error. What's funny is HE had this car setup way better than some "shops" can do it. My indy took my car out several times and he was also shocked that the car rides as well and is as compliant at track speeds. First question he asked was "who did the setup on the suspension?" I inquired as to if something was wrong with it and he said "It's damned near perfect." This guy used to race BMW E36s, so his opinion was important to me...

I've since added adjustable control arms and other bits to the mix, but not touched the ride height. The car has been on the alignment rack a handful of times, and it always comes back feeling the same. What I did notice was in shock and swaybar adjustments. You can really make a Great car handly extremely poorly. Which gets back to the heart of the matter with the original poster... I adjusted the suspension down two clicks softer in the rear after we insalled the new seats and removed the rollbar... Car became extremely bouncy. The fronts were still two clicks from full stiff... The rears were now EQUAL to the fronts and it changed the total feel of the car. I took the fronts down softer two clicks and it helped, but still was not as compliant as it had been with the full stiff rear and two from stiff front. If THAT simple setting change made such a huge difference (and I have ONE adjustment I can make with regards to damping/rebound) imagine how hard it will be when you have compression and rebound adjustments. You MUST understand what you're dealing with in regards to each of the settings before you start fiddling. It is VERY easy to get the car to handle poorly. having the proper baseline to make it handle great is just something I was blessed with when I got my car.

If you aren't comfortable grasping all the subtle issues involved with suspension dynamics, and there are a BUNCH, find the best Porsche suspension guy in your area and take him for a ride. He'll probably be able to ballpark the issue for you in five minutes of riding/driving the car.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-22-2009 at 06:55 AM.