996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Suspension Made Simple?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:42 AM
scott is on a distinguished road
I'm at the advanced intermediate category. Run group A or B right now. Doing about 5-6 events yearly and some, but limited street use. Years ago, I put the X73 on. But as I understand, it's not adjustable. Suggestions?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scott
I'm at the advanced intermediate category. Run group A or B right now. Doing about 5-6 events yearly and some, but limited street use. Years ago, I put the X73 on. But as I understand, it's not adjustable. Suggestions?

You saying you want a better suspension? Any other suspension components on the car?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Nothing other than X73 for the suspension. Is there anything I can do to it to make it more track worthy without throwing it out and starting over?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Couple of things you can do without going broke:

Adjustable Sway Bars
Adjustable Drop Links
Adjustable Toe Links
Lock Plates

Doing those alone will help with the overall weight distribution. They'll also help you as you advance in your driving. You'll eventually snap those spindly end links as you advance and snapping one could be bad on a high speed sweeper.

The X73 suspension is fine for "getting into it" or even for the serious driver who doesn't want to make the car into a less friendly street car. It all depends on what you want to do with the car and your driving.

Mike

Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Mike,
X73 has inadequate end links? Does it make sense to do the things you suggest if in the end I'm going to have to go to a different suspension anyway? Assume that I am going to continue tracking the car.

For me, the dilemma seems to be that I have a car that's great for the street, and if I want to keep tracking, it may be better to bail on it and get a GT3.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
if you are a tinkerer then I would just go all out and save all the inbetween moderate upgrades and go MOtons w/ RS solid set up.

if it's a question of worth it. just get a go cart.

getting a GT3 isn't the answer. you can easily make a turbo handle as well and have much more mad power the GT3 will never have. with the turbo chassis you have much more options. not sure how many turbo charged GT3's around.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Oak,
Who is a recommended supplier for Motons? What is with RS?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Mike at AWE board sponser just click the link to the right of the web page.
Mike has been great with suppying and setting up my suspension pieces and Motons.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Scott, Everything I listed there will be transfered over to any other system you'd "upgrade" to, including motons... The parts I listed are parts that you'd replace regardless. Also, the droplinks on the X73 package are the same as all the others... They're junk for track day applications... They will break, and you will lose your sway bar torsion... When they do, HOLD ON and pray!

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 05-09-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Scott, Everything I listed there will be transfered over to any other system you'd "upgrade" to, including motons... The parts I listed are parts that you'd replace regardless. Also, the droplinks on the X73 package are the same as all the others... They're junk for track day applications... They will break, and you will lose your sway bar torsion... When they do, HOLD ON and pray!

Mike

So then it makes sense to do these things now. And this coming winter, a new package like Moton. With that in mind, point me to a source. Found the adjustable sway bars, but what about the drop links, toe links, and lock plates. I may be able to have this stuff done before my next event.

Thanks, Scott

Last edited by scott; 05-09-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:50 PM
You have any number of vendors here on the board who are sponsors on the board...Lots of options...I don't like making vendor referals in sticky threads here on the board... I'll pm you with a few recommendations...

Mike

Old 05-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
Im runnig JIC Cross coilovers with 8/12 springs , GT3 roll bars and uprated drop links , all set to GT2 specs and running on 19" alloys on my 996tt. The main problem i have is the car feels very unstable on back roads with camber changes in them,i also often get the PSM light flashing like the car is fighting for traction.
What changes and settings are worth trying ?
I was thinking a change to softer sprngs may help as even on soft settings the ride is very harsh for our poor roads.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:20 AM
Softer springs and maybe soften the settings for compression and slow the rebound a little... Take baby steps though... I'd start with suspension settings before you swap springs. Also, what camber and toe settings are you running?

Mike

Old 05-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
Thanks Mikelly the car set to standard GT2 specs.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
kwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura aboutkwerks has a spectacular aura about
Mikelly you deserve a metal for this thread. Someone sticky this thing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension Made Simple?