996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

my friends 01 996tt for 35k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:40 AM
josserman is on a distinguished road
my friends 01 996tt for 35k?

So my buddy has an 01 that’s far from mint, but I have some thoughts on buying it.

Issues: ( I had a PPI done at a Porsche dealer)

-Very slight oil leak rear left and right of engine

-Overboost pressure (not sure the cause, thinking bad bearing or leaky pipes)

- Car was in two accidents, but repaired by very reliable source and the Porsche dealer was VERY impressed with the repair job on the ppi

Plan:
- Purchase this for 35k

-Purchase an upgrade kit. When I bring the car in to install the kit they can seal up any leaks and also resolve the overboost. (Turbo, intake, Exhaust, Chip, ECT)

Net/Net:
I pay a total of around $50k for a car that I know very well and it's upgrade to a stage 2/3 turbo kit with 550-600hp

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:36 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
My opinion is that you can buy a similar car with no stories for the same price. And a very nicely modded car for 50k with no stories or leaks.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Todd,

Who has a 996TT for 35K, and how many miles?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:50 AM
ixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
My opinion is that you can buy a similar car with no stories for the same price. And a very nicely modded car for 50k with no stories or leaks.
+1

how long have you known your friend?

imo, the previous accident(s) would scare me away, repaired correctly or not. when you go to resell the car, the next buyer may not be as leisurely with the history.

its your money but i would take a little time to explore the market. with things the way they are, im sure you would be able to find many clean accident free examples out there.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Todd,

Who has a 996TT for 35K, and how many miles?
My buddy is on the hunt for a TT. He tells me about the mid thirty TT's he comes across. He just isn't quite ready yet.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Send me the link, I have a friend who is ready to buy.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Never buy cars from friends or neighbors...

And mid-thirties is possible, but you'd be much happier spending mid-forties and getting a much cleaner car than you could for $10k less...

Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM
BlueRanger is on a distinguished road
50K can buy a nice car with Zero accidents! Accidents only lead to future problems.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlueRanger
50K can buy a nice car with Zero accidents! Accidents only lead to future problems.
+1 I'd much rather spend a bit of extra money and get one of the great steals on 996tt's this economy is offering. Spending a bit more up front will definitely benefit in the long run with a clean car with no history or problems.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:50 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
I just paid $55K for a 2003 TT X50, which was optioned with an original sticker of almost $150K, with only 5,000 miles on it. Your friend will probably get that money for the car, but you should keep looking as you'll both find a better deal, and help your friendship. My friend's dieing to buy my old car, but I really don't want to deal with having something break on it. (And my car runs perfectly and has no accident history.)

Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
What kind of damage did the car sustain? Were the accidents fender benders or something more serious? If the damage was just to the sheet metal I wouldn't worry about it. How much to repair the leaks? What about the service history and overall condition of the car? I've sold cars to friends and had no issues.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:59 AM
josserman is on a distinguished road
wow thanks everyone for the replies....so car only has 30k miles on it. Damage was more then body..it was significant. The oil leak is very very slight no drips or anything....just residue.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:04 AM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know if I would sell my friend my used car with those issues.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 AM
MarkP has a spectacular aura aboutMarkP has a spectacular aura about
I'm currently in the market for a 996TT and thus have been looking at a lot of used ones recently. There are a lot for sale around $50k, many stock and many with mods. The vast majority are under 50k miles and many in the 30k's. I'd look for one without any accidents or paint work. That will really help you be able to sell it down the line. Likewise avoid one with a leak. There are many to choose from. Keep looking and find the one that's right for you.

Good luck
Mark

Old 03-07-2009, 11:16 AM
soothsayer will become famous soon enough
To me, it depends on what you can afford. There is a huge discrepancy between one for 35-40k and one at low-mid 50k. You can get a meticulously maintained cream puff for a few more dollars. imo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my friends 01 996tt for 35k?