996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch recommendations for 600hp+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:06 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !

Ok so what are you guys running and Why? how is the streetablity of it?

Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
600 wheel horsepower or 600 crank ? Are you going to road race or drag race the car frequently? Do you have intentions of increasing horsepower even more in the future ? A clutch is a part that you want to replace once if you can, so it's best to get something that works best for your setup and leaves room for growth. Many single place options work well up until 600-650hp, once you increase beyond that if you're going to race the car frequently it's best to explore multi-disc options like those from Carbonetics and Tilton.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Ok Good questions!
600+ wheel HP and thats conservative. I do not road race at all, I drag the car more then anything. But it is a regularly driven car.
Dont really have plans for more power..Who know though

Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned
jmenge is on a distinguished road
Tuning in as I need to upgrade my clutch soon as well.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
With a K24/18G 5bar setup a Clutchmaster Stage 3 is a great choice. If you track the car quite I bit I'd suggest going to a Carbonetic Triple carbon.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I have whatever is recommended for their GT700 pack (I believe a Sach's stage 3), and it drives like any other stock clutch I've ever owned. Very streetable and feels great.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned
How does a clutchmaster stage 3 drive compared to stock? I had a spec stage 5 once in another car and it was an unsprung hub disc, and it was like an on-off switch, horrible on the street.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Nigel will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jmenge
How does a clutchmaster stage 3 drive compared to stock? I had a spec stage 5 once in another car and it was an unsprung hub disc, and it was like an on-off switch, horrible on the street.
I had a Clutchmasters stage 4 setup on my last Audi S4 (that thing did 507whp). It was awesome, the best clutch I have ever driven. It was not heavy (ie. didn't need all your leg strength to engage), but it grabbed like a ****.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Former Vendor
Stage 3 uses a modified Motorsports pressure plate for increased clamping force, and a sprung hybrid disc. The sprung hub and motorsports style pressure plate make the engagement slightly harder than stock, however with the factory accumulator setup found in the 996tt (GT2 excluded) it's probably very difficult to tell.

Last I checked the Evo clutch kits where very "similar" to the Clutchmaster kits in terms of stages and included parts. I am not an Evo dealer so I can not confirm 100% but I believe Clutchmasters provides the kits for them.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I had something similar to the "stage 3" ) organic clutch w/ SWachs upgrade) and it was very drivable but started slipping after 10 K at 580 to the wheels. W/ labor over 1K I did not want to hassle w/ a replacement every 2 years so I went for the bulletproof Carbonetics/ATS triple carbon which is necessary since I am now making 670 at the wheels.

The ATS is a pain in the *** in traffic, however and would not be a good dd, but I only drive my GT2 twice a week.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I have the EVO/Sachs Stage 3 with the GT2 hydraulic conversion. With the conversion, there is a much better feel for the engagement.

I drive the car daily and in a lot of stop-and-go traffic. While it took getting used to, it is doable for daily use - not the easiest to drive and I do get some creaking from the actuation (but I've heard the same creaking in the GT3RS as well).

Strong clutch and does not slip.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Rich,

You definately do not want a carbon triple for dd. I had GT 28's on a stock fuel system and your set up held pretty well, it wasn't till I went to a full fuel system that the clutch started slipping.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Banned
Damn, now you guys are scaring me. I'm installing full fuel system with my k24/18's. Do you think the EVO or Sachs stage 3, etc will be enough to handle that?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 PM
No, you will eventually have problems....w/ labor and down time don't play around, get the triple carbon.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Banned
Shoot, I want to be able to daily drive the car when the weather is nice, how bad is the ATS?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendations for 600hp+