996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Perception

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
secretvampire is infamous around these parts
Didn't mean it on a personal level. Just saying.
Still sounded like a fortune cookie, and I'm just poking fun at ya.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 AM
hrs1 is infamous around these parts
hmm...maybe just a different point a view, but unless you have pimped out turbo OR someone really knows porsche cars, others may think it may find it hard to tell between cayman, boxter or 99 996 etc I know my wife and other females couldnt tell the difference for awhile

Old 04-29-2009, 11:46 AM
DJH
DJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really nice
There were a lot of good points on this thread. As stated before, I think most people assume that even a used 996TT is over $100K.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 AM
lsbe36 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jimmy k
I'm a dentist with a SY cab that I bought last year. It's always parked out front and my patients always ask about the car. Most are very nice about it, and ask when they can go for a ride. A few say stuff like, I bet this crown/implant/root canal is paying for your car note. I just laugh it off and say, this one's paid for. You're donating to my son's college fund.
Best response ever! And i too look forward to the day that my Turbo is sitting infront of my dental office!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 AM
dre_techie is infamous around these parts
Anything up to 911 Turbo is considered a sign of success and is professional, if you start with a Ferrari or anything else people will think something is fishy, maybe you're trying to distract them from something in the business deal.

In the last couple of years in Bucharest I'd say the color of the car will tell you more about the person than the car choice. I see that with white regular 3-Series coupes vs my grey car which goes unnoticed, but this is what I was going for.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 AM
kgryder22 is infamous around these parts
Very interesting string and most have said the same thing.
I will give a recent story. I work as a sales consultant in my company supporting the sales guys. One of the guys is into cars and drives a convertible JAG, we have talked cars on occasion. He knows I love Porsches and used to have one. ANd recently I got back in the game and bought my dream car, 996 BLACK TT.
Anyhow, since I got it, he has told most of the people in our company about it. I work remotely so LUCKILY I dont drive it into an office where people can see it everyday. Last week I was at the corporate office and two guys I was at lunch with were talking about a guy that got fired a while back and they thought it was because he was in sales (and not doing well) but was driving a Porsche. Then they said how they think the company frowns upon flashy cars, etc. (The parking lot has nothing interesting in it to speak of).
This made me VERY nervous being around the office not knowing who might know about it, etc. I agree with the comments about givng the finger to those that dont get it and all. But perception IS reality and would hate to think I could lose a job over the car I drive, so I prefer it be kept a secret in this situation. If I drove to work, I would play it a different way.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
I'm a criminal defense lawyer. My clients don't really see my car when I bring it to work because even though I have a parking lot attached to my office, I park in a garage which I pay for extra just to keep the car out of the sun and heat during the Vegas summers. My daily driver is a 750Li, which is already a statement to some extent-driving around in a suit and all-but it's low key (No 22's or other abominations) and here in Vegas, valet parking attendants can afford BMW 750's so its not such a big deal.

As for my GT2, that's a different story. First, I would say that 95% of the public don't know GT2 from Mustang GT. All they know is that it's a Porsche, it's loud, and it just outran that Kawasaki on the highway. The car definitely gets a bunch of attention, and for some reason every idiot in an "SSR" pick-up truck with a rear wing wants to race me. I guess the dealers really sold them a bill of goods about how fast those pick ups are.

The funny thing is my biggest fan base is kids. I have discovered that a bunch of kids know the GT2 from their video games. When they see it, they actually pipe up: "Hey Mister, is that really a GT2, I drive that in my game"

The greatest "effect" is on my fellow lawyers. I'm the only one in town (among the criminal practitioners) with a GT2, and I have gotten only positive reviews. But since I rarely drive it to work (Leave home-sit in traffic-park the car-leave work-sit in traffic-arrive home), most of my colleagues don't even know I have it.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
My 2 cents:

Color IS a very big thing. There a two 996 TT's in my parking lot. Mine is midnight blue, the other is a bright yellow convertible. Guess who gets all the comments and attention.... I would rather not get any attention. I still get comments, but i laugh them off. This is my dream. The car is for me and my own personal indulgence. The yellow TT says something different, because that guy wants attention too.

I agree that It DOES matter what profession/business you are in. But I would never let anyone else's perception of me ruin my dream of owning a 911 Turbo. You get one go around in this world, and if you can make your dreams a reality, the heck with what anyone else thinks. If you see yourself in a yellow TT, then dont compromise for anyone. But dont be surprised when others take extra notice and whisper behind your back.