996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Window problem....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Window problem....

When I operate the outside or inside door handle the glass should come down about 13mm (.5 inch) according to the repair manual. On the right side it move only about 2mm. Just barely enough to clear the seal when the door is closing. I realized the glass can be moved by hand about an inch up and down. It is loose in the lower attachment. On the left side it is completely tight. So I dismantle the door trimming to found out, the only thing that can go wrong is the window electric motor. Is there anything inside that motor, a brake of some kind, that can be adjusted or replaced. Thanks for your help, J.P.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Window problem evaluation...

when I am forcing the glass up and down the mechanism of the regulator move freely. Both pulleys and cables follow the movement of the glass. There is nothing loose in the mechanism in relation with the glass itself and the regulator. May be there is a device into the attachment part of the electric motor on the regulator assembly that provide friction. I am really lost on this one. There has to be a brake of some kind or an electric clutch that engage and disengage when window is operating???? Or I got serious damaged gears inside the motor... Any experience in this part of the mechanism?

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 PM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Bump-Same problem as of today...
I'm calling my friend who is a Pcar mechanic.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Please let me know what he thinks....

Old 04-25-2009, 07:43 PM
blackonblacktt will become famous soon enoughblackonblacktt will become famous soon enough
I recently replaced my regulators, my window was doing the same thing but it also had the grinding noise on the affected side. I noticed that the wire was unwound right next to where you pointed out on your diagram. look to see if this is the case and if so a regulator change should fix your problem.

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Ok I will look at this...Thanks for the info.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Chris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpflip
Ok I will look at this...Thanks for the info.
100% you need to replace the regulator, we do tons of them. The cables just stretch out.