996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Window regulator fun...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Window regulator fun...

...and by fun, I mean frustration!

All of the documentation I could find online shows 996.542.076.04 as the correct part # for the passenger side regulator on my '02 TT Coupe.

So I bought this OEM Porsche part

When I removed the old regulator. It has a different part number. Similar, but different:

I went ahead and installed the 996.542.076.04 regulator, but the window won't go all the way down into the door.
Is this normal? The driver's window drops down all the way so there is nothing visible. I don't normally drive with my windows down and can't remember if this is how it should be.

Am I missing something? Is there an adjustment I can use to fix this?

Old 09-27-2015, 02:34 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Did you have power removed when you did the job? Removed from the whole car? When you lose power you have to "train" the windows for full up and down operation. If you didn't remove power it might be possible that it's still somehow trained to stop but in the wrong place? Just make sure you have radio codes etc. if you're going to remove power and try to retrain blah blah.

A friend just bought regulators for his car for both sides, I'll see if I can get him to post what he used...

Old 09-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Did you have power removed when you did the job? Removed from the whole car? When you lose power you have to "train" the windows for full up and down operation. If you didn't remove power it might be possible that it's still somehow trained to stop but in the wrong place? Just make sure you have radio codes etc. if you're going to remove power and try to retrain blah blah.

A friend just bought regulators for his car for both sides, I'll see if I can get him to post what he used...
Yes I disconnected the battery. You have to remove the airbag and those things scare the **** out of me. I always have no power to the car when messing with those!

I have not put the door back together so I can see inside. You can see that the regulator is all the way down as far as it will go.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:00 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
These regulators are shared with the Boxster. Did you catch the part of the install where you need to remove the upper boxster specific stop? Likely why it's not going all the way down in your install.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by pteck
These regulators are shared with the Boxster. Did you catch the part of the install where you need to remove the upper boxster specific stop? Likely why it's not going all the way down in your install.
ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

Now you mention the stop, I can see there are two stops. An upper and lower stop.
There is no upper stop on the regulator I removed - Doh!

Thanks for the help. This forum (and more importantly, the people on it) rocks!

Old 11-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
How did you resolve the problem? I need to replace the same part on my 02.

Any tips for a first timer?

Old 11-26-2015, 12:52 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
The best tip I have is don't buy the Chinese ones! I bought one and installed it. It rolled up significantly slower than the other OEM. I sent it back and did a used OEM unit,

Old 11-26-2015, 04:16 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
?! a what? a chinese window reg? really...?! oh man.. whats next. sheesh.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
?! a what? a chinese window reg? really...?! oh man.. whats next. sheesh.
Most of the ones you see on eBay are Chinese aftermarket.

Chinese con rods??!!?? Anyone??

Old 11-27-2015, 05:35 AM
Scawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really niceScawt is just really nice
I have extra OEM TT window parts if anybody needs them.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:01 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pumptech
Most of the ones you see on eBay are Chinese aftermarket.

Chinese con rods??!!?? Anyone??
oh, you mean xian less yaun pauter!? lol. got it!

Old 11-27-2015, 09:07 AM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Scawt
I have extra OEM TT window parts if anybody needs them.
I need the driver's side microswitch that lowers the window slightly when I open the door from inside the car - at least I think I do. Have that part?

Old 11-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Iv got both side regulators, motors, micro switches and then some as well.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pumptech
Iv got both side regulators, motors, micro switches and then some as well.
I could use a good working right side regulator as well as the yellow led behind the passenger inside door handle. I installed a regulator from Amazon and it sucks. I installed a factory Porsche on drivers side and it drops twice as much when opening and closing door.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
I could use a good working right side regulator as well as the yellow led behind the passenger inside door handle. I installed a regulator from Amazon and it sucks. I installed a factory Porsche on drivers side and it drops twice as much when opening and closing door.
I sold my passenger side regulator on eBay last week. Not sure about the LED light. Is that part of the micro switch?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window regulator fun...