996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rumbling noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Rumbling noise

My car is driving me nuts at the moment.

Constantly some niggling problems... I am hearing some rumbling noises from the front. First I thought something is lose in my front boot area (spare wheel) but it isn’t. But it’s a similar sound like if a spare wheel would be lose or lift handle would be vibrating against the boot floor. But it ain’t. Under further observation it actually starts to happen once the car warms up, 10 miles or so. Once it starts it stays there. It’s like a suspension play rattle but then it comes and goes unrelated to bumps, so I don't think this is it. It’s quite faint but definitely there. I know list is endless but is anyone hearing this as it could be just a quirk noise that’s normal with our cars as I have plenty of those. Also, I’ve just changed tyres so hearing lots more things as on silent shoes...

Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Hi. Does it go away when you're stopped? If so, I suspect it's a
bearing gone in the unit that transfers power to the front wheels.
If it's that, a new unit is expensive, and Porsche doesn't support
fixing it, but I've had good luck with a local mechanic taking them
apart and replacing bearings... PM me if you want more details.
Joe

Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Technological has a spectacular aura aboutTechnological has a spectacular aura aboutTechnological has a spectacular aura about
Faint rumbling noise? Make sure it isn't your tires. Check the wear on them, make sure you don't have any cupping (run your hands along the tread)

Tire noise has been mistaken for wheel bearing noise on more than a few occasions.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Hi. Does it go away when you're stopped? If so, I suspect it's a
bearing gone in the unit that transfers power to the front wheels.
If it's that, a new unit is expensive, and Porsche doesn't support
fixing it, but I've had good luck with a local mechanic taking them
apart and replacing bearings... PM me if you want more details.
Joe
Hi Joe, it's not the diff; I’ve had that replaced last year. It's a different noise; it's like metal clacking. I just don’t understand what could start to clack once car is driven for 10 miles and would not make noise beforehand, and up-front? Also, once the clacking starts it stays there and the next day it’s gone for the first 10 miles again. Noise is not there when stationary. :-(.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:42 PM
t2_996420 is infamous around these partst2_996420 is infamous around these parts
Front brake duct loose???

Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Front radiator cooling fan?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:51 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
do u hear it when turning ? if not could be your wheel bearings....

Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Ok, I've placed dictaphone in my boot. I've empty everything. This is what it sounds like. It's not as loud in the ****pit. For the first 10 miles noise is not there, then it's there and it gets louder.

http://www.communicormedia.com/996TTfrontnoise.mp3

Anyone from CSI (car forensic) who can work it out? ...

Old 05-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
That does sound like the front differential...
Did you get a whole new unit or a used
replacement? I'm guessing it takes the oil
warming up and therefore getting thinner
to allow the free and easy play to get the
rattle/knock...

Last edited by Joe Weinstein; 05-02-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
That does sound like the front differential...
Did you get a whole new unit or a used
replacement? I'm guessing it takes the oil
warming up and therefore getting thinner
to allow the free and easy play to get the
rattle/knock...
Porsche oem recon unit. I hope it's that as still in warranty.

Last edited by Terminator; 05-02-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Well, do get them to verify that's the problem and let us know...

Old 05-02-2009, 11:36 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Are you sure it's not a lose shock?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Update; car was jacked up, no play anywhere. All looks fine. Dealer suspect’s stabiliser bars although they have no play in them? Huh? They recommend we disconnect them go for a drive to see if it's the bars...

Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
disconnect the front diff and go for a ride....

Old 05-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
disconnect the front diff and go for a ride....
Front diff only has 5K on it, I've replaced it (recon unit from Porsche) 6 months ago... it was making a whining noise - doesn't sound like a diff but maybe? Who knows, will try that too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rumbling noise