996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Trailer Brakes, Surge or Electric?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Aboy.GT2 is a jewel in the roughAboy.GT2 is a jewel in the roughAboy.GT2 is a jewel in the roughAboy.GT2 is a jewel in the rough
Trailer Brakes, Surge or Electric?

Can anyone explain the pros and cons between surge and electric brakes on a trailer. Is one better than the other? Does one require any more or less maintenance?
I am looking for a trailex trailer and would like to get some feedback as to which way to go.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I've used both, and I presonally prefer electric brakes on a larger combo rigs... My current setup is over 20K pounds w/ truck/ trailer/ car/ tools/ essentials. That said, I know a number of guys using the trailex trailers in both configurations... Surge brakes work off a lever mounted to a cable in some cases, and to a plate the ball rests against in others, and it applies brakes based on the level of "surge between the tow vehicle and the trailer/load. The electric brake setup applies brakes based on the elecrical system in the truck or the electronic brake box that is an add on to balance the two systems...

With a trailex trailer being so much lighter, you can't go wrong. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone the enclosed trailex route.

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Aboy.GT2 is a jewel in the roughAboy.GT2 is a jewel in the roughAboy.GT2 is a jewel in the roughAboy.GT2 is a jewel in the rough
I would love to go enclosed but financial and storage constraints limit my choice. I am leaning towards the surge as no further work needs to be done on my tow vehicle. Also I plan to have the trailer longer than the tow vehicle as it is leased and would need to switch the electric controller and wiring.

As far as reliability and performance does anyone know if there is a difference between the two?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
abcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of light
i tow a race trailer and a boat there is no comparison. go with the electric

Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM
jasonfreed is on a distinguished road
I just installed a VERY cool electric brake controller in my tow vehicle. They control electric brakes but act like surge brakes.

The problem with electric brakes is that the second you hit the brake pedal in the car, the trailer brakes start ramping up to your preselected % of power. Even if you are only coming to slow stop.

The module I just installed has an accelerometer built in. You can set the electric brakes at 60% but when stopping slowly, they only ramp up to 20 or 30%. Hit the brakes harder and they ramp up to a higher percentage. Very cool.

Maybe this is well know to some of you but I had never seen one like this.

Got the module at Autozone for $89.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:09 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I have the surge brakes on my Trailex (6+ years) and have been very happy with them. The only real issue that I know of is that if you try to back the trailer up an incline, the surge brake will resist, maybe even locking the trailer wheels.

Jon

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Jason, Do you have a brand and model number for this unit??? Mine has been clicking and making a little noise as of late...

Mike

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
I just installed a VERY cool electric brake controller in my tow vehicle. They control electric brakes but act like surge brakes.

The problem with electric brakes is that the second you hit the brake pedal in the car, the trailer brakes start ramping up to your preselected % of power. Even if you are only coming to slow stop.

The module I just installed has an accelerometer built in. You can set the electric brakes at 60% but when stopping slowly, they only ramp up to 20 or 30%. Hit the brakes harder and they ramp up to a higher percentage. Very cool.

Maybe this is well know to some of you but I had never seen one like this.

Got the module at Autozone for $89.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:24 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I use a Tekonsha Prodigy to control my electric brakes in the trailer. (F250 4x4PSD with a 14k lb(max) gooseneck trailer)

The unit has an accelerometer in it, so it uses a combination of variable to control the brakes. (The accelerometer measures how much the tow vehicle is actually slowing once the brake are applied and generates a deceleration value.) You can set overall brake force, but also adjust how much of the deceleration variable that is added in. You can get really phenomenal control with these (I assume there are others on the market now, mine is a few years old.)- to the point that the braking feels almost neutral: so the trailer doesn't seem like it is locking up, nor does the tow rig feel like it is being pushed.

FYI

http://www.brakecontroller.com/

Edit: My truck had basic wiring in place for this, and a custom harness was available to just plug it in!

Last edited by ard; 05-09-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
I have both; surge on the boat electric on the Trailex. The Electric units require a little more set up wiring Etc, but they are well worth it .go with electric.
I use an inexpensive computer controlled box. work s fine for the light Trailex. If you go with heavier loads than an inertia type might be better.
Elliot