996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Chrome Lips on HRE's ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 06:05 AM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
Chrome Lips on HRE's ...

Has anyone done this ... I had polished lips on my 542R's and it was a pain to keep clean and get water marks off of ... even had it clearcoated ... I eventually gave up ... I remember a thread where the use of Chrome instead of polishing remedied the problem but you sacrificed performance or weight? ... any input ... would it throw the cosmetic look of the car off with brushed centers and chrome lips instead of polished ...

Thanks,
Dario

Old 10-20-2004, 06:14 AM
Don Relentless will become famous soon enough
i had hre with polished lips and keeping them clean was virtually impossible. i had them torn apart and chromed, not only did they look 10x better, but keeping them cleaner was 100x easier. only problems that can occur from my understanding is that a bad chromer may flake along the assembly areas which cause the wheel to later leak air, one big reason why HRE themselves does not recommend chroming or charges soo much. second is that the outer lip will need to be slightly shaved/grinded so the center fits back into place. 1/16" of chrome all the way around the lip is enough that the centers will not set. defintely find a good chromer with experience as they know that the lip will need to be shaved (not a hard or exspensive process. i paid about $125 as lip with chroming.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
dario,

chrome does not spot, so if you had trouble with the polish, go chrome....

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 10-20-2004, 06:38 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
My 845R's have chrome lips and let me tell you its worth the rediculous amount HRE charges!!!!! I take a papertowel soaked with water, run it around the lip, then takea dry paper towel and run it around and it looks PERFECT!! High polish will never look as good as chrome (even polished perfect) in my opinion.

I can take better pictures if you would like...
Evan

Old 10-20-2004, 06:52 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
When my car goes down for the GT 800 I plan to have my lips redone as well. Polished is just too much work ...

Old 10-20-2004, 07:33 AM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is on a distinguished road
oh no! I should have done this few weeks ago, its alright, I will also get the lip redone. PITA to clean the lip and I have the wheels for less than a month.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:35 AM
alamein is on a distinguished road
I agree, I want to get mine chromed also, polished is an unbelievable PITA.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:41 AM
Dabum is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking hot Evan

Old 10-20-2004, 07:49 AM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
EVAN,

Sent you an Email regarding your wing to: evan@fvd.us

Dario

Old 10-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Can the lips be clearcoated...how do they hold up if the lips are cleared....I just ordered some wheels and they said that they dont clear the lips only the centers because the lips chip?

Jason

Old 10-20-2004, 08:37 AM
My lips were clearcoated and it didn't help one bit ... I could only imagine what the non-clearcoated lips looked like after a drive or rain ...

Dario

Old 10-20-2004, 08:52 AM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is on a distinguished road
Re: Chrome Lips on HRE's ...

Originally posted by DarioTexas
Has anyone done this ... I had polished lips on my 542R's and it was a pain to keep clean and get water marks off of ... even had it clearcoated ... I eventually gave up ... I remember a thread where the use of Chrome instead of polishing remedied the problem but you sacrificed performance or weight? ... any input ... would it throw the cosmetic look of the car off with brushed centers and chrome lips instead of polished ...

Thanks,
Dario
HRE chromed my lips.. I had to return them to have them redone. I don't know if they solved there problem but even the ones I have now are not good quality. They need to be buffed out as they have scratches in them. That is how they came.

Easier to clean... YES !!!!

I had polished before these.

Oh, Don't scrape one... If you do your F'ked, trust me I know...

Last edited by Gary (Fl); 10-20-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
PLEASE DONT EVER CLEARCOAT THE LIPS!!!! it sucks!!!

Gary, did Mike ever get a hold of you?

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 10-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by lee2375
PLEASE DONT EVER CLEARCOAT THE LIPS!!!! it sucks!!!
Now I see why, I knew I should have ordered my wheels through you...too late

Jason

Old 10-20-2004, 09:58 AM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is on a distinguished road
LOVE
THAT
LIP
MMMM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chrome Lips on HRE's ...