996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coil pack wire SOS !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 AM
andymac will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Coil pack wire SOS !!!!!!!!

I was changing my coil packs when the little plastic tab has snapped of the connector. So now the wire goes into the coil pack but there is nothing holding it in!

Its a snug fit but i bet it will come out when driving it around.

Has anyone got any ideas what I should do? Is the wire easy to replace, it doesn't look it ?

HELP !

Old 06-16-2009, 09:43 AM
A picture to show what I mean

Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
You'll have to track down a replacement connector and pull the pins out of the old/transfer to the new. It's a pretty simple task if you have the correct connector tool. I suspect the hard part will be to find the replacement connector. However, a good Porsche parts person might be able to locate the connector right away.

For a short term fix, I'd use a zip tie and come around the coil to secure the wiring as it is likely to come lose with normal driving.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brad Bedell
You'll have to track down a replacement connector and pull the pins out of the old/transfer to the new. It's a pretty simple task if you have the correct connector tool. I suspect the hard part will be to find the replacement connector. However, a good Porsche parts person might be able to locate the connector right away.

For a short term fix, I'd use a zip tie and come around the coil to secure the wiring as it is likely to come lose with normal driving.

MOST of those "weather pack" connectors can be removed using the guts of a ball point pen. The white plactic ink tube of the pen fits right over the pin to remove it. Worth a try...

Old 06-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the above.

Have tried the zip ties but they would keep slipping off.

Will try porsche for the weather connectors, you never know

Cheers

Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I would use 3 zip ties to look like this:

o-o Loop one around the connector. Loop another around the pigtail. Use the 3rd to join the two.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by function12
I would use 3 zip ties to look like this:

o-o Loop one around the connector. Loop another around the pigtail. Use the 3rd to join the two.
+1

Or one big zip tie, going under the coil pack between the bolts and between the wires over the boot.

Happens to best of us in the worst places.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 AM
sweeney186 will become famous soon enough
Using a dab of rtv silicone on the clean exterior-plug & coil will make a secure vibaration proof & easily removable connection

Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Cheers 4 all the above comments.
All good ideas, I'll give it a go

Andy

Old 11-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
A quick update on this.

Bob More Porsche Audi of Oklahoma city billed out .8 hours (68.00) and 30.62 for a part to replace the connector on Cylinder #3.

I changed the plugs tonight, just for grins... I found superglue on the rubber boot of the coil and no replaced connector. It's not a big deal since I bought the car 'as is' but noteworthy that the previous owner paid to have it fixed 6 weeks ago.

Did anyone ever track down a replacement connector part number?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brad Bedell
A quick update on this.

Bob More Porsche Audi of Oklahoma city billed out .8 hours (68.00) and 30.62 for a part to replace the connector on Cylinder #3.

I changed the plugs tonight, just for grins... I found superglue on the rubber boot of the coil and no replaced connector. It's not a big deal since I bought the car 'as is' but noteworthy that the previous owner paid to have it fixed 6 weeks ago.

Did anyone ever track down a replacement connector part number?
"As Is" is different than "fraud".

Not much to do, other than yet another peek behind the curtain of "Official Porsche Service"

Old 11-07-2009, 07:08 AM
I try not to assume the intentions of the Dealer, just wanted to report what I had found. The people I purchased it from made no mention of any repair, I just found it when digging through the documentation history. It's the only surprise on the car, so I really can't complain too much in the grand scheme of things.

I do 'think' I have replacement connectors in the mail to me, I'll report the part number when they arrive.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Part number: PNA72104300136

Electrical housing#960136

This is part of a 'set' there are 6 connectors; but looking at this package, it appears I got 2 of them, so 3 connectors each.

For a 8 month fix, I had simply pulled the rubber boot down tight and wrapped a zip tie around it. It was still tight when I found it, even after swapping my injectors. Anyhow, connector is now changed and I have 5 spares for when the next one breaks.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:08 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Good solution

Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
It happened to me last time I was at the mile! starting your run on all six then a dead miss, put it in the trailer!! I did a plug change do to fouling from intake lifting off two cylinders 5&6. I did one bank and a friend did the other(problem) bank. found it when I got home.. I was mad as hell. Had a spare plug off a motor I bought and changed it. Andy good move to fix that right the first time you saw it!!

Last edited by Tim941NYC; 07-27-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: what else spelling

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Coil pack wire SOS !!!!!!!!