996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

can someone post photo of bottom of engine? I think I removed wrong oil drain plugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:31 PM
MarkP has a spectacular aura aboutMarkP has a spectacular aura about
can someone post photo of bottom of engine? I think I removed wrong oil drain plugs

I did my first oil change last night and after buying the parts (filter and 4 crush washers) from the dealership, I had asked him what the 4 bolts went to. He mentioned two in the oil pump (and never mentioned turbos). I had saw a 996tt getting an oil change once and knew there were 4 plugs, but never paid attention to where they were.

So last night I removed the one in the oil pan and the one in the aluminum tank thing next to the flex-looking hose. When I did the next one (at what I believe to be the pump, located between the engine and the tranny), a spring and a metal slug fell out with the drain plug. Similar with the next one I did. One was horizontal the other vertical (horizontal one didn't fall out, but was present).

So, was that actually the oil pump? I'm pretty sure OIL came out, and not some other fluid. It would suck if that was tranny for instance.

The crush washers all seemed to match up, so I assumed I had the right plugs and nobody happened to tell me about these springs.

Today when I looked online to find the detail, I couldn't. I only found mention of people doing the turbo reservoirs, which I now believe to be the proper place for those other crush washers.

Does anyone have a write-up on these drain plugs that I changed? I'd like to see confirmation of what I actually took apart.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by MarkP; 06-18-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
No DIY for an oil change writeup at all, that surprises me. I have to do my first oil change in 1500 miles and was planning on just doing a search for the details. Make sure to give an update when you get it figured out for sure Mark, I know I for one will be looking. Hope you didn't end draining the wrong fluid there!

Justin

Old 06-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by kwei
No DIY for an oil change writeup at all, that surprises me. I have to do my first oil change in 1500 miles and was planning on just doing a search for the details. Make sure to give an update when you get it figured out for sure Mark, I know I for one will be looking. Hope you didn't end draining the wrong fluid there!

Justin

There's a write-up on RT: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...&hl=oil+change

I just never read it first ;-)

Old 06-18-2009, 01:49 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Here are the locations for the drain plugs (more for archives/searches):

one on each turbo:

Old 06-18-2009, 02:14 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
I did that same mistake once, it is very importamat that you locate the parts that came out. It controls your fuel pressure, have the porsche dealer give a print out of that part. i believe it come out in this order. bolt, washer, a piece that sits on top of the bolt (for the sping to sit on), sping, and metal cap that sits on top of the spring. i hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Here are the two drain plugs that I had removed - as described, both of these have springs/metal caps inside that can/will come out.

Is this in fact the oil pump??? Or what is it?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by bimmer81
I did that same mistake once, it is very importamat that you locate the parts that came out. It controls your fuel pressure, have the porsche dealer give a print out of that part. i believe it come out in this order. bolt, washer, a piece that sits on top of the bolt (for the sping to sit on), sping, and metal cap that sits on top of the spring. i hope this helps.
Thanks - I think I put it all back together correctly, but I will check with the dealer.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 AM
wagongotya is on a distinguished road
hahahahahahahaahhaahahaha aren't new toys fun?

hi mark!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wagongotya
hahahahahahahaahhaahahaha aren't new toys fun?

hi mark!
I remember my first project car....

hi mark!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Hey Mark! When did you get the TT? Looks like you decided on yellow! Looks great!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
I remember my first project car....

hi mark!

Ha - thanks guys you're great :P

Old 06-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by raineycd
Hey Mark! When did you get the TT? Looks like you decided on yellow! Looks great!
Chad,

Thanks - I picked it up 2 months ago and have been tied up with a lot of other stuff since so I haven't been around here much. Here's a photo:

Old 06-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
This is an extremely useful and timely thread for me. Thanks guys!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:49 PM
TT996al is just really niceTT996al is just really niceTT996al is just really niceTT996al is just really niceTT996al is just really nice
I have a question about the reasoning of doing oil change when the engine is hot..
Is it because you can only check the oil level when the car is at the operating temperature? or is it another reason all together?
and by the way i am learning so much on 6 speedonline, thanks to all.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Oil becomes more viscous at higher temperatures, and also acts as a better 'solvent' to keep solids that would settle into inaccessible oil passages in play.

So it runs out better, and has more crap from your engine in it if its hot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: can someone post photo of bottom of engine? I think I removed wrong oil drain plugs