996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Another MAF is blown...(4th one)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
I can tell you that the limit of the stock MAF is FAAAAAR below that 525-575 chp is more like it; however, most tuners rely primarily on the o2 sensors and the knock sensors after that. I would say upgrade the MAF..

Sorry to hear about all of your MAF issues as I know it seems like some cars are jsut prone to the failure. As was mentioned previously, the wrong airbox can expedite the process.

Justin
I am not questioning you as I am not as knowledgeable as most on here, and I'm still learning a lot about these cars, but what is it that makes the limit around 525-575 crank hp? and what is there to say about the cars running 11s and even high 10s on k24/18g and gt28's and putting out 650-700 crank hp? they seem to be running fine with quite a few miles, no? are they running with a "band aid" of sorts?

thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
This is interesting. I'm sorry to hear about your maf issues. I don't know if I've been lucky or if it's tune dependent but I haven't blown a maf yet and I'm running the V flow. I think if I were in your shoes I'd just do a Ford Maf and see if that takes care of your problem.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:45 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear and yep, you need a ford MAF asap. I went through 7 of those. It will save you a lot of headache. After the modified MAF there has been no issues. If I were you I would change the Y pipe too at the same time to Proto style.

Originally Posted by skandalis447
Today another MAF has RIP...Its the forth time that happens and finally i decided that it is time to upgrade it to Ford MAF,since i believe that stock MAF hp limits are somewhere between 670-700hp...so a k24/18g car with injectors can burn it when boost is up...the question is,does it worth the money to upgrade the whole intake Y pipe and the MAF,or just replacing MAF would be fine...?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flash68
I am not questioning you as I am not as knowledgeable as most on here, and I'm still learning a lot about these cars, but what is it that makes the limit around 525-575 crank hp? and what is there to say about the cars running 11s and even high 10s on k24/18g and gt28's and putting out 650-700 crank hp? they seem to be running fine with quite a few miles, no? are they running with a "band aid" of sorts?

thanks
THe stock MAF limitation is based on a potential voltage output of 5 volts. It reaches this at about 470rwhp/rwtq(iirc). 2 possibilities for expanding this limitation; slow down the velocity of the air via a larger inlet tube, or change the MAF altogether, thereby changing the entire calibration and increasing the potential(still based on a 0-5v signal)

It's not really a band aid for a couple of reasons...

There is also a map sensor
You have a desired or target A/F ratio in the ecu
The ignition timing is constantly being adjusted with input from the knock sensors(this is why you can do nothing but add race fuel and see an increase in power/torque)

If Porsche is doing it, it can't be all that bad, right?

Justin

Old 06-21-2009, 11:17 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
THe stock MAF limitation is based on a potential voltage output of 5 volts. It reaches this at about 470rwhp/rwtq(iirc). 2 possibilities for expanding this limitation; slow down the velocity of the air via a larger inlet tube, or change the MAF altogether, thereby changing the entire calibration and increasing the potential(still based on a 0-5v signal)

It's not really a band aid for a couple of reasons...

There is also a map sensor
You have a desired or target A/F ratio in the ecu
The ignition timing is constantly being adjusted with input from the knock sensors(this is why you can do nothing but add race fuel and see an increase in power/torque)

If Porsche is doing it, it can't be all that bad, right?

Justin
Not sure if my question came out right, but I meant to ask:

are some tuners in some way "band aiding" this MAF limitation with their ECU tuning? and is that not a good thing based on what you are saying?

And is there a danger/risk of running 650-700+ hp with the stock MAF in your opinion?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:36 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flash68
Not sure if my question came out right, but I meant to ask:

are some tuners in some way "band aiding" this MAF limitation with their ECU tuning? and is that not a good thing based on what you are saying?

And is there a danger/risk of running 650-700+ hp with the stock MAF in your opinion?
I do not think that they are "band aiding" the system. THe Bosch unit is quite powerful and its adaptation is what allows the tuners to be able to increase power so much with a reflash. Since all of the safety features of the stock ecu are still in place(at least most of them, i hope), there is very little to worry about.

In my opinion, 700chp could be made reliable, but since I don't really focus on the stock ecu tuning, I am not the best person to answer that. As far as a danger in running that amount of hp in relation to the stock MAF.... ANything can happen at that hp level when increasing the power output level over factory, so the risk is always present. Personally, I would upgrade the MAF at anything over 550whp.

This is all moot in my case, since I am running 100% speed density

Justin

Old 06-21-2009, 11:40 PM
^ thanks for your input Justin. I am shooting for the 550whp number (for now) and would like to retain stock MAF for now as well.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
It is very weird that bosch does not have any bigger MAF from ours,so to replace it with a bosch unit...For present time I would like to get the FORD maf and install it with an adapter to the intake...Can somebody supply me with FORD maf part no or sell me this unit with the adapter...In worst case i will have to buy Y pipe and install the MAF in boost hose...However i am interested in only these parts,i can fabricate others here and install cone filters to the turbos...So a good priced package for MAF,housing (and Y pipe only) would be appreciated...

Old 06-22-2009, 02:04 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Ford MAF FS... if you want just the MAF itself. I will be in Athens this week if you want to meet up? PM me if interested

Old 06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Skand - you are making alot of power which is good Ford MAF time.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Yes Dan...the car runs fine except for the left header that i think might have a leak again...i will get a FORD MAF and a Y pipe and will develop the rest to make a free intake system...Worst case scenario,i will develop my own Y pipe if no one sells one in a good price...

Old 06-23-2009, 04:12 PM
In order to have my car running,i installed an OEM maf...i did not buy it from Bosch(like the three others)a friend of mine gave it to me sealed at a white box...with no brand at all...just a sticker saying OEM part ........(will edit it tomorrow cant recall the part no now)the MAF did not have any part number engraved on it such as porsche or bosch units...otherwise they look the same...the car hesitates heavily...it does not throw any codes but it runs awful...bad and unstable idle,and when i revved 2nd geat to 7000rpm and shifted to 3rd...the car stalled and boost went to 0,3...no codes at all...idle values of maf is 22kg and 1,4 volt...after some minutes for stabilizing...which is ok...but then while driving when i press the throttle sometimes the car stalls and nothing happens...It seems to me like a plug-coil failure,but there is no way that can happen when i swapped mafs...Are there any cheap chinese mafs?My friend bought it for 100$ from UK store with mafs...

Old 06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
We carried some MAF's made in China for a while and the first ones were fine, but then we got a bad shipment and discontinued them after that. They came in a white box with a Bosch part number. I would try an OEM MAF.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 06-23-2009, 04:31 PM
That is exactly the package i saw...white box with only oem bosch number...i needed it just for a couple of days until i figure out which maf to buy,ford or hitachi to give an end to maf failures...

Old 06-23-2009, 05:25 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
That is exactly the package i saw...white box with only oem bosch number...i needed it just for a couple of days until i figure out which maf to buy,ford or hitachi to give an end to maf failures...

Did you try putting your stock airbox and stock filter back in? I bet you won't notice much of a difference seat of the pants...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another MAF is blown...(4th one)