996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

AutoTrader.com has 76 '02 Turbos, but only 1 X50

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Goodwood is on a distinguished road
Exclamation AutoTrader.com has 76 '02 Turbos, but only 1 X50

Why only 1 lousy Turbo w/X50 out of 76 cars for sale there? AutoTrader's prices range are pretty wide, from as low as a single car @82k, up to several @99k. Surely, an X50 pkg must be worth something extra to the right person, right? Someone that wants that little extra punch, and no plans to mod their car further.
But, more than that, where ARE all the X50s? Didn't Porsche sell very many of them? Was this not a desirable option? Is it because virtually everyone feels they're going to mod the sht out of their car, so why bother with additional cost of an X50? In light of the '05 Turbo S having the identical X50 pkg as standard equipment, you would think *someone* would want a nice used example what is essentially the identical car, but for considerably less money.
fwiw, in an effort to make my car more "salesworthy", I've returned my X50 to it's pristine stock state, having taken off the Ruf exhaust, and the Gemballa Competition wheels, the only "mods" I ever did to my X50.
Also found, out in my outbuilding, a new set of larger, OEM GT2 front rotors and Pagid Orange Pads I never got around to installing, still new in the box. New Porsche cover too. Look for those items in the classified section soon. Haven't determined any prices for them yet.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:49 PM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
Thats a good thing no ?......

Old 10-27-2004, 08:09 PM
rbcsaver is on a distinguished road
I think it's a good thing.
Steve

Old 10-27-2004, 10:29 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
X50 is an 18K option so I doubt there were as many as you'd think ordered with it....Bottom line: BUY MY CAR

Old 10-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Re: AutoTrader.com has 76 '02 Turbos, but only 1 X50

Originally posted by Goodwood
Why only 1 lousy Turbo w/X50 out of 76 cars for sale there? AutoTrader's prices range are pretty wide, from as low as a single car @82k, up to several @99k. Surely, an X50 pkg must be worth something extra to the right person, right? Someone that wants that little extra punch, and no plans to mod their car further.
But, more than that, where ARE all the X50s? Didn't Porsche sell very many of them? Was this not a desirable option? Is it because virtually everyone feels they're going to mod the sht out of their car, so why bother with additional cost of an X50? In light of the '05 Turbo S having the identical X50 pkg as standard equipment, you would think *someone* would want a nice used example what is essentially the identical car, but for considerably less money.
Steve,

IMHO, the X50 is a "performance" option. You can't tell if the car has it unless you see the paperwork or drive the car. Porsche didn't make a big deal of it, the salespeople never pushed it because it added such a huge cost to the car so the only people who really knew it was out there were the real enthusiasts. IMHO, a significant number of people buy 911 turbos because it's like their Rolex's, gorgeous women, etc - because it's part of the trimmings of success. They could care less about an additional 40 HP. Then you have the young guns who want to be cool - they're really reaching to get to $125K without adding another huge chunk that they'll never need.

The X50 appeals to racers and performance freaks. Stock the car is a decent step up over a non-50. IMHO, guys that bought the X50 were buying a car to keep for some time.

Your challenge is your location. Indiana is not a hot bed of Porsche activity (I was raised about 50 miles from where you are). If you can sit on the car for a while you will find the "right" buyer. If you're in a hurry, the buyers are going to treat the X50 as a differentiator - something nice to have with all other things equal.

I'll give you a call later this week.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:07 AM
Carolina Speed
james is on a distinguished road
I think the x-50 guys are a diff't subgroup of racing enthusiasts that are accumulaters not flippers onto "the next great thing." This car is intended to be used, kept up well, and enjoyed. . . probably the same way most here feel about thier "modded" cars. Just a guess, but I bet you will find more concurrent multiple (or planning multiple) owned Porsches with the x-50 group.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Goodwood is on a distinguished road
PM'ed you, Ken

Please do gimme a call.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:17 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PM'ed you, Ken

Originally posted by Goodwood
Please do gimme a call.
I tell ya, goodwood, wait a bit longer and I'm on it...

Old 10-28-2004, 04:18 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Originally posted by msindi
X50 is an 18K option so I doubt there were as many as you'd think ordered with it....Bottom line: BUY MY CAR

No, buy MY car. Well, actually they're for different types of buyers. Mine's an '01 so it'll be less $$ than Mansour's.