996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

remote control key fob not working..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
my local d'ships got em. 9 bucks.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM
zdimic is a jewel in the roughzdimic is a jewel in the roughzdimic is a jewel in the rough
I had to change my keyfob cpl. months ago.

Nothing else helped. Indy though it was receiving unit, but dealer got me new fob, programmed it and that was that...

$250 for a fix, electronic unit and programming; I reused my old key itself (metal part), otherwise it was going to be another $100

Old 03-31-2013, 03:54 PM
spawnywhippet has a spectacular aura aboutspawnywhippet has a spectacular aura aboutspawnywhippet has a spectacular aura about
Have you tried the re-sync process? Unlock the car, turn on the ignition and press and hold the unlock key on the fob for 10 secs. I think it is described in the manual. My 2009 cabriolet needed this doing when I bought it.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Woop ti do! Thanks you guys! Just saved me a trip to the dealer and big bucks spent. I got a second key when I bought my car. However the battery was dead in the fob. I replaced the battery with the one that was in there from CVS. The battery was $5.70. Then the light on the fob would work, but nothing would happen with my car. The doors would not unlock, frunk, or start the car. I was about to give up and go to the dealer tomorrow and get the 20 digit code etc. But spawnywhippet you nailed it. I went back out to the car, put the key in the ignition and hit the button for 10 seconds. Guess what! It worked! Thanks, this forum is invaluable and I appreciate the knowledge you all share, commaderier, mods, updates etc. Cheers!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Here is another little known snippet... If you activate the key by pressing any button on the remote while away from the car so it does not receive the signal, it will disable the key (remote unlock only) after 256 activations. This includes if you sit on the key for about 30 seconds while in a restaurant having a beer. If the key is activated 1024 times, it will destroy the key so even the dealer can't fix it. This applies to remote lock/unlock only. Passive start protection comes from the little transponder in the key (looks like a pill) - it is not affected by the above. The reset sequence from Spawny above will fix the 256 activation problem.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:47 AM
ptstv is on a distinguished road
Was doing some research on my same issue and came about this thread. Just though I'd post that, after having mine work very intermittently recently (worked 25% of the time?), I took it apart, pulled the battery, unsoldered the battery case, retouched all the solder joints with just tiny bit of flux and solder, and now it's back to working beautifully again. Took about 5 minutes. (Note that I'm an experienced solderer and have a fine tip on my iron for small parts like that.). I bet this is the problem with many of them.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:23 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spawnywhippet
Have you tried the re-sync process? Unlock the car, turn on the ignition and press and hold the unlock key on the fob for 10 secs. I think it is described in the manual. My 2009 cabriolet needed this doing when I bought it.
I know this thread is almost 5 years old, but it saved me from much aggravation and expense. A simple search got both of my FOB's working again. BTW, I only had to do the 10-second re-sych with one remote, and both began working again.

Thanks again to this great community!!!

Old 11-16-2018, 02:59 PM
olwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of light
Key fobs drive me nuts

I am likely on my third set of remote control key heads for my 2001 Turbo. Current situation:
Most recently, 1 year ago I bought a new remote for the key and had it programmed by the dealer - Suncoast Motorsports in Sarasota. Worked great. After the battery went dead and was replaced it will no longer work. Suncoast says the remote is dead despite the red LED flashing strongly.
I have an older key fob which works great for a couple of minutes after I put a new battery in, but drains the battery. This tells me the car is working and that key fob has some kind of short in it though I cannot see anything wrong with it.

Questions:
- Since the lights are flashing on the newer remote: Is it possible that Suncoast is wrong and the newer remote works but has lost its identification and can be re-programmed?
- Does anyone have advice on what can be draining the batteries so quickly on the older remote which works for a few minutes after battery replacement?

Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
The Porsche warranty for key fobs is 2 years - Suncoast should fix it - whatever it takes.

I have a fob that kills batteries also - it's more than 2 years old. Obviously there is a defect in production quality if these devices fail after just 2 years (I have a crappy 20 year old transistor radio that still works great!) - For $300 per key, they should be backing these up better.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:17 PM
olwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of lightolwe is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you for the quick response which made me go look. I thought I had bought it from ebay but I actually bought the remote from Suncoast in October 2017. I'll check if they will warrantee it.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:08 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
I've gone through 3 key fobs (going onto #4 now) in 2 years, quality control issue.. I'm bringing it up with Porsche

Old 11-19-2018, 12:47 PM
Suncoast replaced the remote under warranty, but I still had to pay $80+tax for the programming. Grr!

Does anyone know if the 986 keys work on the 996? Maybe the quality is better. I think they have three buttons so there would be one extra,