996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt Key Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 PM
sirschwag will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by hly
LOL, I guess I do want both!
The transmitter is the circuit board, and the transponder is the little crystal, right? Thx
That's correct...place copper colored parts towards the key, you'll need to use a bit of silicone adhesive to hold the pill in place (just like the new pill is, be sue to remove all adhesive)...

Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
r71
r71 has a spectacular aura aboutr71 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by viprklr
I did the same thing with my old TT key. The only problem is that the keyless entry/trunk dont function now. Not sure why.
Mine did that for a day or two, then it came back. Weird....

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 AM
NYPorsche911T will become famous soon enoughNYPorsche911T will become famous soon enough
Does anyone know of a dealer would do the swap for me? I'm hesitant to do the swap since I only have one key and don't want to screw it up. That being said, the only key is in terrible shape.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 AM
r71
r71 has a spectacular aura aboutr71 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NYPorsche911
Does anyone know of a dealer would do the swap for me? I'm hesitant to do the swap since I only have one key and don't want to screw it up. That being said, the only key is in terrible shape.
You can't mess it up. You would be doing most of the steps in just changing out the battery. Diy, and you'll feel better anyhow.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 AM
NYPorsche911T will become famous soon enoughNYPorsche911T will become famous soon enough
I'm assuming you guys all have TT's? I called my local dealer and they said the part number is for a Targa and wouldn't work on a TT...

Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 PM
It'll work on all with 2 button remotes, there really isn't anything to mess up or more difficult than changing the battery if you follow the steps in this post.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
Just replaced mine...and the frikking Porsche shield logo fell off the key after a few hours! Luckily it was in my pocket and not lost...will need to mod the mod and glue it in.
(I found that trying to load the spring back in was a major pain in the ****...it jumped out @5 times and traveled to the unknown, I was like Mr Magoo on the floor looking for it...)
Any tips on how to best load the spring back in - to help others?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
I ordered mine and should be getting it on Friday. I'm awful with this kind of stuff. Cant't wait. LOL

Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 AM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NYPorsche911
I ordered mine and should be getting it on Friday. I'm awful with this kind of stuff. Cant't wait. LOL
It seems intimidating (like a lot of other stuff on these cars) but it is super easy! You'll love the feeling after you accomplished it! Did mine last year and it looks great!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Ajs76 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by thomapa1
Just replaced mine...and the frikking Porsche shield logo fell off the key after a few hours! Luckily it was in my pocket and not lost...will need to mod the mod and glue it in.
(I found that trying to load the spring back in was a major pain in the ****...it jumped out @5 times and traveled to the unknown, I was like Mr Magoo on the floor looking for it...)
Any tips on how to best load the spring back in - to help others?
If I remember correctly, I just threw the spring away because I couldn't get it in there. Instead, I just manually pushed the locking mechanism (thing that holds the key blade in place) up and called it good. No problems after 4 months.

If I have to open it and push the mechanism back together in a year, so be it.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I loaded the spring towards the key, then used my craftsman straight pick (their 4-piece pick set had come in handy often) then pulled the last ring back and into place. I put some silicone adhesive to fill around the sping to keep it all in tact. You'll need the clear silicone to fix the pill too...

Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
i dont have a spare key so if i get this i can cut the key it comes with at the dealer correct. All thatll be required after that is to switch the pill correct? thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by greekc6
i dont have a spare key so if i get this i can cut the key it comes with at the dealer correct. All thatll be required after that is to switch the pill correct? thanks
It's just the remote housing, you'll need to buy a key if you don't have an extra...most people do this to "upgrade" their old key. You need to swap the guts as well.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:53 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
So do I need do by a whole new key fob have it cut for my car and programmed. Then swap it out or can I get someone else's used key fob take those guts and cut a new key

Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by greekc6
So do I need do by a whole new key fob have it cut for my car and programmed. Then swap it out or can I get someone else's used key fob take those guts and cut a new key
Good question, I'm pretty sure if you bought a used key you can have it re programmed (to your car) at the dealer (I'd call them and ask if there is a $ difference vs programming a new key)., then also have them cut the metal key,and program the pill (you do get a blank pill with the upgrade remote housing). I don't think the dealer can re-cut an existing "used" key...once all of that is done then you can swap everything. So I'd look around for a used key or check sonnen porsche for a good price on a new one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996tt Key Conversion