996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Checking for Boost Leaks and Poor Diverter Valves?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Checking for Boost Leaks and Poor Diverter Valves?

I am trying to see if there is a way to test for boost leaks and dodgy (faulty) Diverter Valves on my Turbo S without removing them.

I have and love the Mityvac MV8500 vacuum/pressure tester. I removed one of the supply vacuum pipes to the diverter valves and connected it up. It holds pressure up to 25psi forever but does not allow vacuum. This is probably because of a supply valve someplace.

I was wondering if there was a definitive way to test all this stuff without removing the Valves themselves to test them.

Anyone got any good ideas?

Thanks in advance.

SWR

Old 08-22-2009, 01:28 PM
madduc is a jewel in the roughmadduc is a jewel in the roughmadduc is a jewel in the rough
PM Colorinc, He made a set-up to test for leaks. I searched but can't find his thread on it.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:03 PM
AdamW81 will become famous soon enoughAdamW81 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I am trying to see if there is a way to test for boost leaks and dodgy (faulty) Diverter Valves on my Turbo S without removing them.

I have and love the Mityvac MV8500 vacuum/pressure tester. I removed one of the supply vacuum pipes to the diverter valves and connected it up. It holds pressure up to 25psi forever but does not allow vacuum. This is probably because of a supply valve someplace.

I was wondering if there was a definitive way to test all this stuff without removing the Valves themselves to test them.

Anyone got any good ideas?

Thanks in advance.

SWR

From other threads, if your DV will not hold vacuum taping into the 1/4" hose connected to the top of the DV then it is leaky/bad.

If you have a leak somewhere else, remove your intake and pressurize the whole system from just past the maf, I just sent another thread to the 1st page on how to do that.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AdamW81
From other threads, if your DV will not hold vacuum taping into the 1/4" hose connected to the top of the DV then it is leaky/bad.

If you have a leak somewhere else, remove your intake and pressurize the whole system from just past the maf, I just sent another thread to the 1st page on how to do that.
No I did not test the DV itself just the pipe going to it, bakwards that is.