996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MPS2's, how many heat cycles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
MPS2's, how many heat cycles?

Wondering if anyone knows how many heat cycles is too many before the tire turns rock hard and needs to be replaced?

I am assuming a HC is one 20-30 min session on a road course. Yes?

Or, if I do 3-4 30 min sessions in one day is that a HC?

My gut tells me the tire heats up during the session then I wait for other sessions to go after me so the tire cools down then I go back out and it heats up again. Am I right?

I did 3-4 sessions per day for 3 days in a row, so let's say 9-10 HC for the weekend. Are my MPS2's toast now or near toast if they had about 5k miles on them before with some occasional drag strip visits and street pulls?

Tires are 19 inch and all four but especially the rears have 1-1.5 inches of scrub, wear, evidence of roll on the shoulders, meaning where the rain tunnel used to extend to the line before the writing, there is nothing. Bald. I don't know the lingo but I guess bald/balding is a good word.

I don't see cords or anything, though I did see a viper at the event that had cords showing and they made him replace the tires and they were ps2s.

The tread and depth is still very strong, very far from the bar, but I want to make sure I am safe and have not had time to go to Discount Tire to ask them. I know my neg camber was not as high which contributed to this but I am working on it with susp work in the near future.

Thoughts?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Street tires don't heat cycle in the same way as racing tires. You should be fine as long as there is tread.