996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Truth about coilpacks...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Hotter coils shouldn't help much if you're already firing fine. If you're misfiring then heck yeah it might be worth it. $900 is a pile of cash though. I'd really want to see some serious dyno tests - same car same day same tune.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I change mine once a year....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Hotter coils shouldn't help much if you're already firing fine. If you're misfiring then heck yeah it might be worth it. $900 is a pile of cash though. I'd really want to see some serious dyno tests - same car same day same tune.
We have done some extensive testing on a wide range of cars including back to back on the same car / same tune. The car with our coils runs much smoother and makes more power especially in the higher RPM range.

Details here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...now-avail.html

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Not to state the obvious, but a hotter spark will resist 'blowout" at higher than normal boost levels. So if you normally run very high boost levels, these coils are must.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
you can also use rhinoceros horns in powdered form as an aphrodisiac!
And only fuel up your car during moon light.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Not to state the obvious, but a hotter spark will resist 'blowout" at higher than normal boost levels. So if you normally run very high boost levels, these coils are must.

i agree but at what point is this? 1000hp car i think so 600hp car i wonder if its money thrown in the pit

Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
i agree but at what point is this? 1000hp car i think so 600hp car i wonder if its money thrown in the pit
I think so. As I said earlier, I HAVE a 600whp car and I think it is a waste at this point, FOR ME. If you have a car at this level, and have massive misfires with stock coils, the BBi coils are your solution. I am not there...yet.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:39 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
just to share... check out the 996 turbo/GT2 vendor forum.. apparently EVOMS came out with their own set today.. looks very nice... 1k and has dyno charts.. it seems that the coils helps above 3.5k rpm

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...now-avail.html

Old 11-18-2009, 09:36 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Yes, resist blowout, that is indeed obvious. As cylinder pressure increases it takes more power to jump the spark gap due to higher resistance. The higher cylinder pressure is what causes the resistance. This is why cars with weak coils misfire most at peak torque under boost. It's not even so much high boost levels as it is high power levels - boost is really meaningless as a measurement, it's cylinder pressure that makes the difference. Past a certain point adding more voltage to the plug isn't going to make a difference - fuel won't burn twice. There's also not much time at high RPMs, most multistrike boxes stop doing multifire at pretty low RPMs. They smooth out idle and cruise, that's about it - not quite snake oil but not all powerful power adders either. Anyway...

I've done the dance with coils on another car. Supra coils are a PITA and weaken fairly quickly. You end up with the spark being blown out and guys gap plugs down to get a spark across - this means less room for fuel molecules when you do fire, that's not good. New coils are bux but they sit right on top of the engine. My solution was motorcycle coils, turns out those bad boys worked GREAT and cost me peanuts on eBay - required a standalone EMS to fire them though. Unfortunately on the 996 changing the plugs and coils is a freakin' nightmare compared to the Supra so I don't imagine much experimenting has been done. You've also got to worry more about how they are fitted since it's a flat engine. Looking at the plug boot in the pics EVOMS posted in the other thread bike coils might actually work except for the mounting and possible electrical issues. The custom mounting is worth something to me to say the least but a grand is still tough to swallow for 6 coils. I'll ask some questions about them over there, hopefully folks will be trying them out and reporting back real world results in back to back testing. Certainly when you bump power up more than 50% from what a car was designed for you can run into ignition issues...

Curious, how many wires on the coils? Is the ECU controlling dwell or is the ignitor in the coil? Given a choice I prefer dumb coils and some ECU control, have the various tuners tried modifying the dwell if the ECU controls it? The Supra guys used to run an HKS box that did nothing more than extend dwell - it actually worked. Some people also worked with boxes that would supply more than 12 volts to the coil - I didn't much like that frankly. The best ignition I knew of was one from a company called Autronic paired with Mercury Marine coils. Another Aussie company makes an equal box but the name escapes me. NASTY! I cannot imagine frankensteining that into a road going Porsche though.

Thankfully, for now, I've not got ignition issues. I look forward to seeing how the EVOMS coils do and some independent testing of them. Choice is good, the more the merrier but wow I wish they weren't so expensive.

Last edited by BLKMGK; 11-18-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
cylinder pressure increases with compression ratio, load and boost. Remember that fast supras drive with really SICK (> 2++bar ) boost levels

Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
My Stockers seem to work just fine. I can think of a lot better places to put a grand right now. Like in MY Pocket.

When they blow I may re-visit, but I am for the Stock solution for $222. Please reveal the source. I simply cannot justify the extra cost for such a minimum HP return. BTW I am no where near 1000hp, NOR Do I need to be. I REALLY like my clutch. .

Respectfully, I am sure these fancy coil packs are excellent quality and attractive for the chosen few. If they were more reasonably priced though, more people would probably buy them as an upgrade, but for a $800 delta........ I guess my poor baby will have to limp along on her stockers for the forseeable future.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
agree completely ^ if the price would of been inbetween stock and where it is now id have a set coming

Old 11-19-2009, 02:43 PM
a66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
My Stockers seem to work just fine. I can think of a lot better places to put a grand right now. Like in MY Pocket.

When they blow I may re-visit, but I am for the Stock solution for $222. Please reveal the source. I simply cannot justify the extra cost for such a minimum HP return. BTW I am no where near 1000hp, NOR Do I need to be. I REALLY like my clutch. .

Respectfully, I am sure these fancy coil packs are excellent quality and attractive for the chosen few. If they were more reasonably priced though, more people would probably buy them as an upgrade, but for a $800 delta........ I guess my poor baby will have to limp along on her stockers for the forseeable future.
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
agree completely ^ if the price would of been inbetween stock and where it is now id have a set coming
Agree 100% with these guys. Mods are great and all, but unless they far exceed OEM in more than just price, I'm not going to pull the trigger just to say I have them on my car.

That being said, I am in the under 600 HP range as well, so for the "go fast" guys, it sounds like this is certainly a great item to have under the hood.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
I just got them. They look oem and I'm sure they'll fit but I'm not gonna have time to work on the car today.

the part number on them is 997.602.102.00 and 0 040 100 021

The ones on my car say 996.602.102.00.

Here's a link to his ebay auction but if you want to strike a deal e-mail him at :
sportscarextras@hotmail.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

Old 11-19-2009, 03:34 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
but just think how much potential you leave on the table with out them. MP!!!

you need them.

by the way anyone know where these are made or who makes them?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Truth about coilpacks...