996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Battery blew up trying to start car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Well, my charger finally turned off after 2 days. Phew. Still gonna vent that sucker before I fire it up again. Any updates with the car, Paulie?

Old 12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
My Car is at Motorwerks,Akram finished blowing out all the vent tubes. He is replacing the plastic cowl piece,new Battery & while it is at the shop I'm having him put in a 997 SSK. Everything looks ok under the Battery tray,no corrosive damage that we can see.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Ok guys, if you want to be thorough do what I did with my vehicle out West. It's run 3 - 4 weeks of the year almost 4 years now, no issues same Kirkland (Costco) battery.

I've set up the garage with a marine shore charger; ucontroller monitored, temperature compensated and all kinds of safety devices in place.

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
good to hear paulie ... don't forget to post what you think about the 997 ssk. i got the regular 997 shifter and although it's better than the original im not overly thrilled with the excursion of the shifter -- still too much

Old 12-22-2009, 03:22 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Sounds like Gretchen was messing with wires Sorry to hear Paulie, hope you fix it soon. Art

Old 12-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Sev
Sev will become famous soon enoughSev will become famous soon enough
Just got and plugged a porsche battery maintainer. You guys got me worried. How about unplugging the damn thing a day before actualy starting the car. That should prevent this type of issues and keep the battery in top shape... I winter drive my car but it sits a lot in winter months as I try not to take it out on crappy days...

Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Sounds like Gretchen was messing with wires Sorry to hear Paulie, hope you fix it soon. Art
That damn Gretchen used the Battery charger wires to tie herself down. Art I hope everything is going OK,I wish your mother a fast recovery.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
That damn Gretchen used the Battery charger wires to tie herself down. Art I hope everything is going OK,I wish your mother a fast recovery.

That or to strangle herself .........

Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by bmoores
That or to strangle herself .........
I think your on to something Ben...

Old 12-29-2009, 08:45 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
I went to drive the GT2 this morning,took off the Porsche trickle charger, turned the key & POW a semi loud explosion from under the hood, everything went dead & smoke was coming out from under the hood.
I finally was able to jump the hood open using my other battery tender. The Battery was in pieces and I started pouring baking soda mixed with water over everything. I have no idea what happened,maybe someone might have some insight?
Was Powell or Dr. Jitsu in your garage recently ?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Was Powell or Dr. Jitsu in your garage recently ?
I'll admit it was possibly me. Skinny White Dude Racing has moved into the Porsche tuning industry, well we tried to until this happened. We use a hybrid version of LS1Edit and HP-Tuners to do some mad programming to the Porsche. What really happened was Paulie was making so much HP it made the battery go kaboom!

I hope that was the case at least... If not it had to be that wiring job Sean did on Paulies new radar. I told him to make sure he put the connectors on the right terminals on the battery.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 PM
This is for Ben & Dennis:Name:  whatever.gif
Views: 340
Size:  6.8 KB

This is for everyone else:Name:  clapping.gif
Views: 346
Size:  2.5 KB

Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
hey paulie heres a bigger pic of the death of battery episode 1

Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks Mister Inspector, nice work.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Danyol
Ok guys, if you want to be thorough do what I did with my vehicle out West. It's run 3 - 4 weeks of the year almost 4 years now, no issues same Kirkland (Costco) battery.

I've set up the garage with a marine shore charger; ucontroller monitored, temperature compensated and all kinds of safety devices in place.
This is excellent for a good well maintained charge but does nothing for the issue suffered here. The build-up of hydrogen gas will happen whenever a battery is charged which is why batteries that aren't in an open engine bay have vent tubes - 996, Miata, etc. etc.. Charging without moving in a garage even with a vent tube (hydrogen being lighter than air) means it may buildup and the stuff is danged flammable if provided a spark. A sealed battery or gel cell is certainly the way to go IMO!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Battery blew up trying to start car?