996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Battery blew up trying to start car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Paulie - Did you manage to fix this yet?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
This issue is not a result of the tender or any other charger brand.
It is a result of Mr nut not having the nuts to live in a cooler climate and it is not to uncommon either...
Instead of me typing out some poorly worded story I will cut and paste but I will not give a reference as I used it before and I do not know where it came from.

Note, you can tell your friends that a tree made your battery explode.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The most probable cause of internal battery explosions are from a combination of low electrolyte levels below the plates in the battery, a low resistance bridge is formed between or across the top of the plates, and a build up of hydrogen gas in the cell. The low resistive bridge is called "treeing" between the positive and negative plates. When current flows in the battery, a spark can occur and ignite the residual gas in one or more of the cells. A second possible cause is a manufacturing defect in the weld of one of the plate connecting straps causing a spark igniting the residual gas. Another source of internal battery explosions is caused from a direct electrical short across the battery's terminals. The battery rapidly over heats form the high current and can explode. The largest number of internal battery explosions occur in hot climates due to the loss of water in wet "maintenance free" and low maintenance starting batteries. Most internal battery explosions could have been prevented if the plates were always covered with electrolyte. Please see Section 3 for more information on preventive maintenance

14.5. Do wet "Maintenance Free" (Ca/Ca) batteries require maintenance?
All lead-acid batteries require some preventive maintenance, some types more than others. The term "Maintenance Free" generally refers to a wet, sealed lead-acid car and deep cycle batteries with calcium added to the positive and negative plates. (Please see Section 7.1.3 for more information on these types of batteries.) In hot climates, the water is lost due to evaporation caused by high underhood temperatures and normal charging. Water can also be lost due to excessive charging voltage or charging currents. Using non-sealed wet Low Maintenance (Sb/Ca) batteries (with filler caps) is encouraged in hot climates so distilled water can be added when this occurs. (Please see Section 3. for other preventive maintenance procedures that should be performed on lead-acid batteries.)

Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
msf
msf is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
MSF, meet 2009, 2009, met MSF
Nothing like reviving an old thread...lol

Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by msf
Nothing like reviving an old thread...lol

... and responding to a member that passed away...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Whos dead... Paulie???? someone else????

Either way we are not all connected and know each other.
Not to dismis anyone that has passed away but we all keep on living even if they are gone; from my last few years I know that all to well.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Whos dead... Paulie???? someone else????

Either way we are not all connected and know each other.
Not to dismis anyone that has passed away but we all keep on living even if they are gone; from my last few years I know that all to well.
RobertP. Cancer. RIP.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
RobertP. Cancer. RIP.

Yeah Cancer sucks. And yes RIP Mr Robert.

I fully believe there is no pain in death unless you are one of the poor people who get left behind to morn.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Paulie is still here.Just been out of the country.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:11 AM
msf
msf is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ttboost
... and responding to a member that passed away...
Sorry for your loss.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Yes, RIP RobertP.

At first I thought that maybe Paulies wife caught him with a Costa Rican hottie and gave him the Lorena Bobbit treatment.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
At first I thought that maybe Paulies wife caught him with a Costa Rican hottie and gave him the Lorena Bobbit treatment.

Yeah thats too bad about Pauly. Did they find his body and missing *****. I wonder if his disappearance has anything thing to do with the Puerto Rican gang kids that stole his car and hijacked his Speed 6 account.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
My 2011 997 twin turbo battery just exploded. It happened on Fathers Day starting the car. Smoke everywhere. Original OEM battery. [url]https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=451595&stc=1&d=1466477 460[/url

Last edited by Turbo Ron; 06-20-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:07 AM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
This issue is not a result of the tender or any other charger brand.
It is a result of Mr nut not having the nuts to live in a cooler climate and it is not to uncommon either...
Instead of me typing out some poorly worded story I will cut and paste but I will not give a reference as I used it before and I do not know where it came from.

Note, you can tell your friends that a tree made your battery explode.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The most probable cause of internal battery explosions are from a combination of low electrolyte levels below the plates in the battery, a low resistance bridge is formed between or across the top of the plates, and a build up of hydrogen gas in the cell. The low resistive bridge is called "treeing" between the positive and negative plates. When current flows in the battery, a spark can occur and ignite the residual gas in one or more of the cells. A second possible cause is a manufacturing defect in the weld of one of the plate connecting straps causing a spark igniting the residual gas. Another source of internal battery explosions is caused from a direct electrical short across the battery's terminals. The battery rapidly over heats form the high current and can explode. The largest number of internal battery explosions occur in hot climates due to the loss of water in wet "maintenance free" and low maintenance starting batteries. Most internal battery explosions could have been prevented if the plates were always covered with electrolyte. Please see Section 3 for more information on preventive maintenance

14.5. Do wet "Maintenance Free" (Ca/Ca) batteries require maintenance?
All lead-acid batteries require some preventive maintenance, some types more than others. The term "Maintenance Free" generally refers to a wet, sealed lead-acid car and deep cycle batteries with calcium added to the positive and negative plates. (Please see Section 7.1.3 for more information on these types of batteries.) In hot climates, the water is lost due to evaporation caused by high underhood temperatures and normal charging. Water can also be lost due to excessive charging voltage or charging currents. Using non-sealed wet Low Maintenance (Sb/Ca) batteries (with filler caps) is encouraged in hot climates so distilled water can be added when this occurs. (Please see Section 3. for other preventive maintenance procedures that should be performed on lead-acid batteries.)
Thanks for the education . Considering that some of us tend to have our cars on a tender and never really ever consider adding water to even sealed batteries. I bet these exploding batteries are mostly caused by the lack of water in the batteries....see explanation above.