996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clear Bra Protection- 3M, Stoneguard, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:05 PM
kparis has a spectacular aura aboutkparis has a spectacular aura about
Clear Bra Protection- 3M, Stoneguard, etc.

I am thinking about having one of the clear bra protection films installed on the front of my new Turbo. Does anyone on the board have expereince with the various kits, installtion techniques, etc.? Any pictures?

So far I found one person in my area that will install the 3M ScotchcalPaint Protection Film for me. The cost of the kit and the install price seem reasonable. I noticed that the 3M kit comes in several peices...Do the others?

My car is silver so it shouldn't show too many lines.

Hood (lower portion)
End caps (tops of fenders- over lights)
Front lower facia (in 4 peices- sides L&R, lower middle and upper portion)

Thanks,

Old 07-14-2003, 01:29 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Keith, I have the Stongard stuff installed. It comes all die cut, ready to install. I've had it from almost day one. I like it better than chips in the finish. Also have the Songard light protection installed. Good stuff. My paint would be sand blasted by now, if I didn't have it.

Old 07-14-2003, 01:34 PM
EM 996 GTS is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by oak
Keith, I have the Stongard stuff installed. It comes all die cut, ready to install. I've had it from almost day one. I like it better than chips in the finish. Also have the Songard light protection installed. Good stuff. My paint would be sand blasted by now, if I didn't have it.
oak,
where can you buy this stuff? how much is the cost? thanks

Old 07-14-2003, 01:54 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
If you track your car, I would suggest the large kit, it protects the fender well edges.

Stongard for 996tt

Old 07-14-2003, 02:27 PM
Joe West is on a distinguished road
If you'd like, I can post a picture of my install

Keith,

I have the 3M Ultra Shield installed and am very happy with it so far. On my initial install, there were some inconsistancies in the surface (small air bubbles) which did not come out as the install cured... so I asked them to come out and fix it...they came out and re-did the installation in the areas I wasn't happy with and now the install is virtually perfect.

I paid something like $575 here in Arizona, and this included the headlight protection.

Just make sure when you get the install done, that you ASK if they have done a Porsche 996TT before... if not, look for an installer who has. There are some compound curves on the front bumpers which can be a real bear for a new installer. I'd recommend that you ask your dealer who they would suggest do the install; then you are pretty much guaranteed that you will have experienced installers.

Let me know if you want me to post some pictures of the install...

Kind Regards,

Joe West

Old 07-14-2003, 05:37 PM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
I also have Stongard and it has definitely saved my paint on a number of occasions.

All pending on where you get it installed (and be sure to choose wisely) and how much you get done...it can go as high as 1500 installed by a seasoned pro.

I had mine installed by the best and it took him 10 hours!

Old 07-14-2003, 05:57 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is on a distinguished road
Talking

Keith,

Can't you leave that car stock for 2 days???

One 20 minute visit and you have me looking at the TechArt Rear wing, side intakes and front bumper!! My wife thanks you.....

As someone once said, "Honey, I could be hanging out in Strip clubs giving it to strippers...." LMAO

Old 07-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks...

Gary- You know how I am. I've had the car 48 hours and already purchase a bunch of items. If it ever stops raining here in FL I'll post some pictures.

I ordered the 3M kit. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I hope to have the kit by the end of the week and have the install complete by next week.

I'll post pics when complete.

Old 07-14-2003, 08:58 PM
oak
I think you'll like it. The quality of install is dependant on the tech who installs it. Like Joe, has said, make sure the tech doing the install has experience installing it on a 996.

Old 07-14-2003, 09:02 PM
I agree

The tech told me he just did a 996 so I feel fairly confident. The good news is that it can be removed and it's not permanent so if he does a bad job- it's coming off and he's not getting paid!!

Oak- Package (1 box) was sent today via USPS Priority Mail. Should be in CA by Wednesday- Thursday at the latest.

Old 07-14-2003, 09:24 PM
oak
Good! From what I've seen there are 2 types of techniques and wetting agents. The best results I've seen were where the techinician uses a few drops of dish water soap water and alcohol to help release the surface tension and help position the sheets, then after squeeging the liqiud out towards the edges he fushes the edge with just the alcohol/water solution to flush the dish water solution out, so it keeps the edges in place.

I have personally installed this product on other vehicles and the dish soap technique makes the install much easier/nicer. The 3m material is easily stretched and will scar easily if you are not very careful.

Old 07-15-2003, 03:04 AM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
Definitely get it. My dad had it installed on his AMG, which is black in color, and it looks great. I mean, the 3M bra hardly shows, but serves a great purpose. Our package covers the mirrors, headlights, half of the hood, half of each fender, and the front bumper... All for only a couple hundred dollars... Certainly a wise investment if you care for your baby!

Old 07-15-2003, 12:22 PM
dilly is on a distinguished road
I have the 3M on my black 2001 996tt. It looks pretty good except for a little orange peel look to it. The installer redid it after the first application because of the curves but second times the charm. The only thing I don't like about it is that it seems to attract alot of dust which I remove with a California duster.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:40 PM
RockBlocker is on a distinguished road
Dilly,

I hear you about the dust. Try to wax the product with a high gloss polish. It tends to help after a couple of coats on there!!

Old 07-19-2003, 06:56 AM
Flypuck is on a distinguished road
South Fl.

Anyone know of a good clear bra installer in South Florida?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Protection- 3M, Stoneguard, etc.