996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant leak from front radiator - pics inside - what to do next ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Question Coolant leak from front radiator - pics inside - what to do next ?

All,

Some of you might have read my previous post about the coolant leak at the front of my car. I started removing some stuff today and took some pictures. See attached.
Can somebody please help me assess as to how bad this damage would be ? Are we talking hoses or radiator unit ? What to look for ?
Got leaks on both sides, but the passenger side is really bad...

Thanks !

Yves

Attached Images      
Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Can you tell where it's leaking from? Core? Hoses? Fittings? Take the radiator right out if you can't see where the leak is coming from. New radiators are around $400 each, if you need one. You gotta bleed them anyway, might as well take it out and see what the problem is?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Can't immediately see where it comes from. Quite some 'spray'. No real clear origin.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Yves
Can't immediately see where it comes from. Quite some 'spray'. No real clear origin.
I would spray it all down with brake clean or something fairly strong to get it clean and let it run and get hot to see where it leaks from...

Old 12-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Good idea ! That will be my New Year's day project, haha.

Even if I would need new radiators, is this an easy DIY project ? Installing the hardware won't be that difficult, but will I need the system flushed ?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Good idea ! That will be my New Year's day project, haha.

Even if I would need new radiators, is this an easy DIY project ? Installing the hardware won't be that difficult, but will I need the system flushed ?

Changing the radiators is an easy project to do. Bleeding is a b*tch and coolant is expensive. This is the problem I had.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-problem.html

Old 12-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I just did mine a month ago. Honestly it was pain in the butt. Lots of stuff had to e unscrewed etc.
A pressure test from the back would tell him where it's coming from.
I pain $560 for mine

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Janker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really nice
Mines booked in for 2 x new rads next week, when the car gets hot you can see steam escaping from the rads. As suggested above I would run it and see where it's coming from - if your not confident with a DIY bleed (which I wasn't) I'd take to an indi and get them to do it. I wouldn't want to 'cook' a 25k motor...

Jim

Old 01-01-2010, 04:27 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Just did both side on my TT, parts are around $400 each radiator + 3-4 hours of labour.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Right and in case you didn't know there are 3 radiators...left, right and center.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Well...good morning everybody and happy new year !

Just had a look in the garage and things did not look too good this morning. Car has been crying all night (see picture), more so on the passenger side.

Kind of surprising for such an expensive car. Second year of ownership and already had to deal with the slave/accumulator and now this...

Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Well...good morning everybody and happy new year !

Just had a look in the garage and things did not look too good this morning. Car has been crying all night (see picture), more so on the passenger side.

Kind of surprising for such an expensive car. Second year of ownership and already had to deal with the slave/accumulator and now this...

Remove the inner fender, jack up the front and remove the plastic under cover and see where the wet starts. See if it is a hose, loose fitting or the radiator itself is bad. You could need a left and right radiator or you could just need a couple O-rings or tighten a fitting? Hopefully the latter...

Old 01-01-2010, 08:44 AM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
How many miles on the car? Unless you can definitely identify a fitting or O ring as the issue, I'd replace the radiators. You don't want to have to do the job twice...

Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 AM
21K miles
About 5K with modifications (see my signature).

Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 AM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
Wow, that seems really premature for the radiators to leak...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak from front radiator - pics inside - what to do next ?