996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Will a 997 shift knob fit/integrate with 996 shift boot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
I assumed there's no way to seperate the 996 boot and shift ****. For the 996 boot / 997 set up, just cut the boot, invert fix (zip tie or the like) to shift lever? Mine's pretty worn out, would like to change it as well. Anyone know the thread size? thanks

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Suncoast has the Alcantara GT3 shift **** for $200. The silver S shift **** is $219. Check their website. 275 Euros = $375. Saved you some more money.

Last edited by landjet; 03-08-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Suncoast has the Alcantara GT3 shift **** for $200. The silver S shift **** is $219. Check their website. 275 Euros = $375. Saved you some more money.
Don't worry...I wouldn't have bought OEM parts from Carnewal, I thought they had some kind of adapter kit for this and that is why I reached out to them. I already have had some successful dealings with Suncoast, and those guys are very helpful indeed! Thanks regardless, as I love to save money!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I am pretty sure the leather boot on a 996 is just held on with a ziptie at the shift ****. Should be an easy transplant just only use the 997 ****.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Thanks gearhead...I'm honestly surprised there isn't more interest in this as a fairly standard mod in the 996 community. Maybe there is and I missed it? Maybe it's just not that big of a deal to most?

Old 03-09-2010, 02:44 PM
wezz is on a distinguished road
Steve, i'm looking into this as well (thank you for starting this thread). I've gotten my performance stuff done, so now its on to the interior. Hopefully we can open a sticky thread that shows all the 997tt parts that can swap over to the 996TT. I'd like to swap my steering wheel to a 997 one! Does anyone know if thats a direct or simple swap?

Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM
No problem at all wezz, darn glad it's a useful thread for someone else.

Since you're a bit ahead of me (haven't purchased any 997 **** yet), I'd appreciate your ongoing feedback about the modification process. I will be installing my SSK soon.

Regarding the steering wheel swap, I've never seen that done and fear it might have challenges, but that is assuming the same logic of why people aren't swapping other parts. Perhaps the airbag uses a different style of connector or something? I'd certainly welcome your findings on that too. Best wishes!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
wezz is on a distinguished road
Steve,

Just did a search:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...changable.html

Looks like an adaptor is needed for the swap. Surprised no one has looked into one....FVD or one of our other vendors - please see what you can do!

I just called down to Switzers to see if they have any 997tt ***** laying around. Hopefully they can find two

Paul

Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Cartel is on a distinguished road
Update?

I am interested in pulling the trigger on a 997 GT3 Alcantara shift **** in my '03 Boxster S. Any further info would greatly be appreciated!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM
cp supreme is on a distinguished road
I have a 996t and i wanted the alcantara gt3 shifter and boot in my car. The 996 and 997 shift boots are obviously very different shapes. The 996 is more of a narrow oval i guess you would say and the 997 is more of a square. The shift **** from the 996 detaches from the boot with no problem. So here's what I did....

I loosened up my **** (haha), the old shift boot, and snapped out the piece of plastic it attaches to out of my car. Then removed the boot from the **** (very easy). I then just put the **** back on the shift kit with the kit exposed so i could drive my car in the mean time. I took my new 997 gt3 shifter and old 996 shift boot and piece of plastic to my local interior place (it happens to be a very legit one). I had them match the alcantara color of the gt3 **** as close as possible and sew me a boot that would fit in the 996. They cut the boot off of the 997 gt3 shifter and sewed on the new alcantara one they made in the 996 shape and fit it to the 996 peice of plastic (which i also had them paint black and it looks so much better). I had them do the stitching in red to match my seatbelts. And the car is a little dirty so there's some white flakes that wouldn't normally be there...Here's a picture for you guys....

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2011, 03:25 PM
harkerdude will become famous soon enoughharkerdude will become famous soon enough
Love it.

How much did it cost?

Originally Posted by cp supreme
I have a 996t and i wanted the alcantara gt3 shifter and boot in my car. The 996 and 997 shift boots are obviously very different shapes. The 996 is more of a narrow oval i guess you would say and the 997 is more of a square. The shift **** from the 996 detaches from the boot with no problem. So here's what I did....

I loosened up my **** (haha), the old shift boot, and snapped out the piece of plastic it attaches to out of my car. Then removed the boot from the **** (very easy). I then just put the **** back on the shift kit with the kit exposed so i could drive my car in the mean time. I took my new 997 gt3 shifter and old 996 shift boot and piece of plastic to my local interior place (it happens to be a very legit one). I had them match the alcantara color of the gt3 **** as close as possible and sew me a boot that would fit in the 996. They cut the boot off of the 997 gt3 shifter and sewed on the new alcantara one they made in the 996 shape and fit it to the 996 peice of plastic (which i also had them paint black and it looks so much better). I had them do the stitching in red to match my seatbelts. And the car is a little dirty so there's some white flakes that wouldn't normally be there...Here's a picture for you guys....

Old 07-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Harker,

It was $300 (cash price) plus the cost of the gt3 shifter obviously. It's definitely expensive but the work was on point. The interior guy actually brought me back into the workshop and we looked at pieces of suede he had left over from past jobs. He was willing to give me one of these for free which was cool of him and would have saved me 160 bucks or so (cant remember the exact cost of the material). Unfortunately, there wasn't a piece that matched close enough. A big part of the cost was the 'minimum order' yard of alcantara I had to buy.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 PM
harkerdude will become famous soon enoughharkerdude will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cp supreme
Harker,

It was $300 (cash price) plus the cost of the gt3 shifter obviously. It's definitely expensive but the work was on point. The interior guy actually brought me back into the workshop and we looked at pieces of suede he had left over from past jobs. He was willing to give me one of these for free which was cool of him and would have saved me 160 bucks or so (cant remember the exact cost of the material). Unfortunately, there wasn't a piece that matched close enough. A big part of the cost was the 'minimum order' yard of alcantara I had to buy.
ah thanks for the info.

It is expensive but your shifter looks really good.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by harkerdude
ah thanks for the info.

It is expensive but your shifter looks really good.

Thanks man. I like how it came out. There was something about the leather boot and that big golf driver look of the carbon fiber shifter I really didn't like. Nothing crazy but I wanted to do a couple other interior things also. I think in the next couple of weeks I'm going to order the ma-carbon 'ac horse shoe non nav' piece, the 'instrument cluster' and also the 'mid dash airbag strip.' I really don't like the silver pieces my car came with. http://www.macarbon.com/store/996-da...roof-trim-118/

Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 AM
sms
sms is on a distinguished road
996/997 Shift ****

looking for a black/silver shift **** for my 996.
Anyone want to sell the 996 or 997 **** they removed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will a 997 shift knob fit/integrate with 996 shift boot?