996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why you DON'T use Brakleen on wheels!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Why you DON'T use Brakleen on wheels!!

No I didn't do this

- the dealership did this when they were balancing my tires today and trying to clean the inside of the wheels to mount the new weights... said it's never happened before. My nice white rims are now fakked up :-((

BTW - these were factory ordered this way, white with a 1/2" silver lip.

They said they would make it right - but that means I'll be without my car for a week and then they'll have to rebalance the tires again.

Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 PM
XwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud of
wow i would be soooo upset. at least they are making it right i suppose...

Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
That is so cool. Looks like Tim Burton designed them..

Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Hmmm...did they not read the package instructions?

Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice

Old 03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
My guess is they'll be buying you a new set of wheels. Pick something nice!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Don't let them refinish them, unless the vendor is qualified to duplicate the factory finish...

Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 AM
DanF is a splendid one to beholdDanF is a splendid one to beholdDanF is a splendid one to beholdDanF is a splendid one to beholdDanF is a splendid one to beholdDanF is a splendid one to beholdDanF is a splendid one to beholdDanF is a splendid one to behold
I think I would have cried.
My Condolences...

Old 03-17-2010, 05:16 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
damn that wheel is growing hair!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:23 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry that happened to you.... I have cleaned my wheels several times with brakleen with no problems at all. Just your luck

Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
Don't let them refinish them, unless the vendor is qualified to duplicate the factory finish...
HUGE 2nd... I would make them buy you a whole new set of wheels if these don't comeout 100%...

Old 03-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Janker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really nice
Gutted for you dude, that really sucks donkey *****... If you get the dealer to replace with new how long might that take? - could it be weeks from Germany if special order?.. I'd go with a proper refurb if it were me, if its done right I'm sure you'll be happy - just state that you retain the 'right to refuse' up front if not perfect.

Jim

Old 03-18-2010, 05:07 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ard
Not sure if they are qualified to replicate a factory finish. They plan to use Wheels America in Union City, CA. I talked to these guys and they seem qualified. Wheel guy said they would have to paint them and then apply a clear powder coat... does that sound right?

Dealer said all their wheels go to these guys for repairs. Dealer also said the design/paint on my wheels is not stock as there is a 1/2" silver color around the wheel next to the bead which is not stock. My build sheet shows (Option XD9 - Rims and Caps - Exterior Color- $1535.00). Anyone confirm this is not the way the stock wheels were painted?

Dealer said unless I bought the car new (no), they were probably repainted at some point. Maybe this is his out so he doesn't have to provide brand new wheels if I complain.

I'm perfectly happy if the wheel company matches the exiting color and they don't discolor over the years.

Repair is scheduled for next week.

Comments?

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
150shot is on a distinguished road
Good they are fixing it on their dime. LOL maybe go a step further and get something extra ( a pair of tires or even extra $) due to the time and effort and say its a true "custom" wheel and so on...

The famous statement..time is money!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by 150shot
Good they are fixing it on their dime. LOL maybe go a step further and get something extra ( a pair of tires or even extra $) due to the time and effort and say its a true "custom" wheel and so on...

The famous statement..time is money!
They don't seem to want to offer me anything for my loss of time (another visit to the dealer, send wheels off, rebalance tires, etc. - 3 days without car) - except the rental car...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why you DON'T use Brakleen on wheels!!