996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best platform for a drag car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
S-351 has built more Mustangs than he would care to admit. (Some that have run 8's). I like the Supra/ Grand National alternative as well although you will be spending more $ to make them run 9's.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 PM
nanokpsi is a glorious beacon of lightnanokpsi is a glorious beacon of lightnanokpsi is a glorious beacon of lightnanokpsi is a glorious beacon of lightnanokpsi is a glorious beacon of lightnanokpsi is a glorious beacon of light
I'll throw a vote out there for Grand National as well, that is unless you just want to order the axles for the GT2.
A mustang would be easier and cheaper, but that is just because every swinging d1ck has done it already

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=Morden314;2773827]A Chevy Nova is a great drag car. You can stick a HUGE motor in it, and either pile on a blower or nitrous to the max. Blow the engine? Fix it yourself easy. Narrow the rear end, the options go on and on depending on how serious you want to be.

Ditto, You can cram in a LS7 crate motor, Muncie M22 rockcrusher, 6/8-71 blower. Narrow a chevy 12 bolt. Figure out what class you want to compete in before you begin the build. If you stay out of the fuel classes you won't break the bank.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
while the mustangs might be fast as well, the supras are just built so well...and i wouldn't mind having one in the garage...id go with the supra.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
up your power on the GT2 another 100 or so to the wheels, get some drag radials, some axles, and save yourself the hassle of building another platform. I think Chris was proving it could be done last weekend. It's not the easiest car to drive, but it is pretty rewarding to have a 10 second driver

If you want to do a completely different car, then you can't go wrong with the Fox or the Supra, although I think if you use it for double duty the Supra might be a bit more comfy on any type of extended drive.

Justin

Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 AM
No Name will become famous soon enoughNo Name will become famous soon enough
You're going to have a lot more money into a Supra than you will a Mustang. But as stated above, every swinging d!ck has a Mustang at the track.

I like the idea of doing the axles in your car and enjoying it. You dont see all that many Pcars at the strip, plus you already own it (and it's one less car to take care of!)

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Has anyone redid their AWD system to handle the big power, it seems like most of the big power P car guys are RWD.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
up your power on the GT2 another 100 or so to the wheels, get some drag radials, some axles, and save yourself the hassle of building another platform. I think Chris was proving it could be done last weekend. It's not the easiest car to drive, but it is pretty rewarding to have a 10 second driver

If you want to do a completely different car, then you can't go wrong with the Fox or the Supra, although I think if you use it for double duty the Supra might be a bit more comfy on any type of extended drive.

Justin

Justin,

I am making around 750 rwhp at 1.5 right now. I am putting the Brockaway and a good boost gauge in and then going up to 1.65 which should put me close to 800 rwhp.

However I really just want to keep this car as a twice a week roll on/meet car. Its too special for the abuse of 1/4 miling.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
The Supra is a great platform, but there at this point not much less expensive to buy a decent one than a 996 TT! I can buy a built 10.5 spec caged 9 second all day long drag setup Mustang for alot less than just buying a BPU Supra.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Justin,

I am making around 750 rwhp at 1.5 right now. I am putting the Brockaway and a good boost gauge in and then going up to 1.65 which should put me close to 800 rwhp.

However I really just want to keep this car as a twice a week roll on/meet car. Its too special for the abuse of 1/4 miling.

When you say "roll on", you mean at the track right?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
I am making around 750 rwhp at 1.5 right now

and then going up to 1.65 which should put me close to 800 rwhp.

Its too special for the abuse of 1/4 miling.
Are we talking about in the real world or in Jitsu World? Because 1) for the third time, I didn't run you at the boost level I ran Eric's car on the dyno 2) only you would believe that .15 bar would net 50 hp on your set-up and 3) you bought a salvage GT2.

For the record, I think you should learn to drag race anything. I heard the crowd was like why the **** was that silver Porsche doing a roll-on in the middle of a drag event?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Jamie,

We raced. I won. You lost. Please get on with your life.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Jamie,

We raced. I won. You lost. Please get on with your life.
After your 35 posts on the topic, shouldn't I be saying that to you?

Every dog has its day (even one wearing honestly the gayest driving gloves and shoes I have ever seen in my life.)

Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 PM
revracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nice
Fox body mustang with a liberty shifted trans, 03/04cobra motor, single 76mm turbo, and a cage would net low 9's maybe high 8's. If your feeling risky a GT47-80 would work well too.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:55 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
After your 35 posts on the topic, shouldn't I be saying that to you?

Every dog has its day (even one wearing honestly the gayest driving gloves and shoes I have ever seen in my life.)

Sorry to interfere,but why did Sean have driving gloves on?Really.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best platform for a drag car?