6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/210711-complete-road-racing-thread-take-your-car-track.html)

buddyg 05-10-2010 01:51 PM

The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!
 
Ok,

Heavy wanted a road racing sticky so here it is mods. Let's talk about road
racing, how to do it, what you need to do it, things to bring to the track, tracks we like, times at each track etc...

I will start:

Grattan Raceway is 15 minutes from my house and a great track with a nice off camber uphill turn, some good twisties and a decent front straight. Did I mention it is 15 minutes from my house?

We are doing a track event June 11-13 there for anyone that wants to come.

www.grattanraceway.com

My best time in my 2002 996 turbo GT700 is 1:29.247

I like to use Hoosier R6's I will let someone else post up things to bring to the track, etc...

Hey mods can you make this a sticky?

Lap times

Grattan Raceway
1:29.247 buddyg 2002 996 turbo GT700

Mid-Ohio
1:40 fast fwd 2001 996 turbo

Putnam Park
1:19 fast fwd 2001 996 turbo

Road America
2:33.7 fast fwd 2001 996 turbo

Thunderhill
1:59 f1crazydriver


Weight Reduction Thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/71489-official-turbo-weight-loss-thread-lightest-turbo-list.html

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page

vbmw335 05-10-2010 02:05 PM

Grattan is a fun track. I am going to gingerman on wednesday with a Gt3 friend. anyone going?

All i have in the car apart from k24/18g and tuning are pagid yellow's (all 4) , sumitomos, castrol SRF.

buddyg 05-10-2010 02:19 PM

What kind of tires?

I have golf league Wednesday night otherwise I would come down to meet you.

FAST FWD 05-10-2010 02:24 PM

I've been doing DE's for 17 years, instructing for the last 7 or 8. I go to 3 tracks most of the time:

Putnam Park is 45 minutes from my house. 10 turn 1.6 mile course. A great place to start doing DE's: It's fairly flat, very open with lots of runoff. My best time there is 1:19, but I've added some mods since then. Looking forward to meeting a couple of 6speeders there in July - vbmw335, fdorn, I'm calling you guys out! :)

Mid-Ohio is a 5 hour drive, worth every moment of it. Technical track, 2.5 miles, 14 turns, with high speed sections, twisties, blind corners and apexes at the tops of hills. I ran 1:40-1:41 last month, with the new mods.

Road America is about 6 hours. Beautiful place. Very fast track - 4.2 miles, 14 turns (really only 10-11) with three straights where you are over 150 mph. Not terribly technical. Ran 2:30 last year - that's an average speed right around 100 mph. Did I mention it's a fast track?

I plan to try Summit Point this year. It's a long way.

Jon

f1crazydriver 05-10-2010 02:29 PM

Cool. I'm doing a shakedown session June 4th at Thunderhill in California.
I'm testing the improvements that the rear camber arms, rear custom toe links, eibach swaybars, and a new aligment can do. Also along with some my new rear wing. I may take adjusting heights to see if their's a differnece. Last time I was there I was 1:59's with a passanger i hope to be in the mid 1:50s with a passanger.

buddyg 05-10-2010 02:29 PM

Mid-Ohio is one of my favorites as well. I ran Laguna Seca in a Skip Barber Formula Dodge and that was a blast as well.

fdorn 05-10-2010 02:37 PM

I was at Blackawk with PCA on Friday and meet someone (Andy W.). He has a Black 997 GT3. He said Mid-Ohio is just exceptional...top-tier (Gingerman - Blackhawk would be bottom, Autobahn CC middle). I would go to Putnam Park and/or Mid-Ohio. It would have to be later in the summer (Julyish)

The only date for sure that I have booked is Autobahn on June 14th with PCA.

Jon, thanks for the info on the roll bar (not cage)..lol



Originally Posted by FAST FWD (Post 2835069)
I've been doing DE's for 17 years, instructing for the last 7 or 8. I go to 3 tracks most of the time:

Putnam Park is 45 minutes from my house. 10 turn 1.6 mile course. A great place to start doing DE's: It's fairly flat, very open with lots of runoff. My best time there is 1:19, but I've added some mods since then. Looking forward to meeting a couple of 6speeders there in July - vbmw335, fdorn, I'm calling you guys out! :)

Mid-Ohio is a 5 hour drive, worth every moment of it. Technical track, 2.5 miles, 14 turns, with high speed sections, twisties, blind corners and apexes at the tops of hills. I ran 1:40-1:41 last month, with the new mods.

Road America is about 6 hours. Beautiful place. Very fast track - 4.2 miles, 14 turns (really only 10-11) with three straights where you are over 150 mph. Not terribly technical. Ran 2:30 last year - that's an average speed right around 100 mph. Did I mention it's a fast track?

I plan to try Summit Point this year. It's a long way.

Jon


2muchtime 05-10-2010 02:38 PM

Any of you guys run cool suits in the summer up north?

buddyg 05-10-2010 02:44 PM

No, when I ran stock cars in ASA we used them but we were in
the cars for several hours. The DE events with the Porsche are just 20 minute sessions.

2muchtime 05-10-2010 03:02 PM

Went to PBIR in March, and I was looking forward to Homestead in June and PBOC at Sebring in July, unfortunately jet ski accident this weekend and I won't even be able to drive for 3 - 4 months, sucks, tore 3 of my 4 quad muscles off my knee cap.

vbmw335 05-10-2010 03:11 PM


Originally Posted by buddyg (Post 2835060)
What kind of tires?

I have golf league Wednesday night otherwise I would come down to meet you.

I use cheap street tires from Sumitomo...not the best but it does the job. I was at Autobanh CC for the Audi club DE it was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to going to Road America this year.

I plan on doing a few Gingerman test tune days this year...we can meet later for sure.

80shilling 05-10-2010 03:13 PM


Originally Posted by f1crazydriver (Post 2835074)
Cool. I'm doing a shakedown session June 4th at Thunderhill in California.
I'm testing the improvements that the rear camber arms, rear custom toe links, eibach swaybars, and a new aligment can do. Also along with some my new rear wing. I may take adjusting heights to see if their's a differnece. Last time I was there I was 1:59's with a passanger i hope to be in the mid 1:50s with a passanger.

1:59's is pretty fast.. Was that using the Cyclone or the bypass?

f1crazydriver 05-10-2010 03:18 PM


Originally Posted by 80shilling (Post 2835137)
1:59's is pretty fast.. Was that using the Cyclone or the bypass?

Cyclone. Graham, it's a private track event. You can run any sessions as many sessions. You should come, want the info ?

80shilling 05-10-2010 03:28 PM


Originally Posted by f1crazydriver (Post 2835145)
Cyclone. Graham, it's a private track event. You can run any sessions as many sessions. You should come, want the info ?

Yup... send info ASAP please.. :D

heavychevy 05-10-2010 07:20 PM

Buddy G, do this for me, add these links in the original post so that people that come to the section, who will inevitably look for these things can find them and we won't need too many stickies for them. Most of the stuff you've said already has a thread dedicated to those very things. Maybe the original post can be a portal to the rest of the useful stuff. It will be too hard to keep track of everything in one thread IMO.

Lap times thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/108848-lap-times-thread.html


Weight Reduction Thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/71489-official-turbo-weight-loss-thread-lightest-turbo-list.html


I would put the brake thread, but Mike deleted all his posts rendering it useless.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands