996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can't Aim Headlight?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Can't Aim Headlight?!?!

My passenger side light is about 5 degrees lower than the driver's side.

I have tried using a Phillips screwdriver though the alignment hole without success. Then I removed the headlight assembly and tried the adjustment directly from the outside of the housing. Although the screw turns, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Questions - Does the headlight assembly have to be installed with power to the lights for the adjustment to work (motor driven)? Is there any other way to align the headlight?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 AM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
I also need to figure this out

Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
Not sure if you have this, but here are the instructions from the service manual. See if this will help.

Headlight-adj.pdf

Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Yes, I have the manual... They mention a "headlight adjustment unit" (I figured out that a really narrow screwdriver would turn the screw) but I don't know how to find out why it's not working. Should turning the adjustment screw with the housing removed allow a vertical adjustment to work (mechanical vs electrical).

Old 05-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
You should be able to pop out the entire headlight unit and turn the screw. I believe clockwise on the lower screw raises the beam. So you can set the reference. The auto adjust is for when the car changes it's stance.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:25 AM
What is involved in the "Auto Adjust"?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 PM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
I'm having the same issue with mine on the passenger side headlight. Pointing up too high. Some one got the answer hopefully? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
The instructions for aiming the headlight are in the owner's manual. However, at least in mine, the instructions give exactly the reverse of the correct directions (mine is an '01, perhaps they fixed this later). I mean, it said turn one way to aim the headlight up, but it was actually the opposite.

A long screwdriver will not do the job. It is a hex key - a really long one. What I ended up doing was using some hex stock and then a socket to turn it. There are two holes. One adjusts left-right, and the manual says not to touch that one. The other adjusts up-down. In my car, I was able to adjust the driver's side in the car, but I had to take out the passenger's side, tweak the adjuster and then put it back. Your hex key doesn't have to be as long when it is out of the car.

My car and I are on different continents at the moment, so I can't give you the exact details. I hope this helps just the same.

Jon

Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Speedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud of
I have had the same problem, the adjuster had come of the smal ball inside the light unit.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Speedfreak
I have had the same problem, the adjuster had come of the smal ball inside the light unit.
Did you have to take the back off the light housing to figure that out?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Speedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Slider
Did you have to take the back off the light housing to figure that out?
I can't remember, but I opened it some where and it wasn't difficult to fix.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Same issue on mine. One light adjusts fine, the other wouldn't adjust no matter what. I took it apart and it looked like the adjuster came off, I clicked it back on and same issue that it wouldn't go up. I adjusted them evenly and added HIDS to the fogs.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Yesterday, I cracked open the enclosure - easy to do; just remove two screws and un-clip in 2 places and it pops open. I was able to determine that the adjustment is mechanical - so no power required for the adjustment to happen. Clockwise aims up.

I think there is something wrong with mine because the headlight assembly (part that holds high-beam and low beam) is very loose in there although I can't see any obvious signs that something is broken. By turning my adjustment to the limit, I was able to get the light to aim up 70% to where it should be.

If anyone has a passenger side light assembly they don't need, I would be happy to take it off your hands - for a reasonable fee of course.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Drew's 996 will become famous soon enough
My passenger light will not adjust so it looks like I have to crack the light open and reattach the adjustment mechanisms. Is there anything I should be aware of before I tackle this? Thanks!

Old 04-08-2017, 12:00 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Determined my passenger side has the same issue. Opened the headlight up and looked to see if the gear spun as I tried to adjust, and it doesn't move. I then tested the driver side to make sure i wasn't doing anything wrong. That side operated fine.

I don't see how you could reseat anything without taking all the guts out. Any advice?

Also, seems to be common on the passenger side, haven't seen anyone report the same issue on the driver side.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't Aim Headlight?!?!