996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help with P1120 & P1122 Codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 AM
dog4delta will become famous soon enoughdog4delta will become famous soon enough
Help with P1120 & P1122 Codes

Hoping to gain some insight on codes P1120 & P1122.

I was driving my '03 Turbo today around town and noticed that the engine felt a little rough when I lifted the throttle. I then discovered that the car would make a max of 0.2 BAR of boost. The car has K16/16G turbos, a 5 BAR FPR, an exhaust, and an FVD flash. It typically makes a steady 1.2 BAR of boost, so something was definitely amiss.

I thought I must have a boost leak somewhere, so went home and did a quick pressure check. No boost leaks. I then got the code reader out and found the above mentioned codes. Note that the car never threw a CEL, despite the fact that I had driven it like this about 20 miles and had turned the car on and off a couple of times.

I think the P1120 code is "TP Sensor out of range low" and the P1122 code is for "TP Sensor 2," but am not for sure. I also found a few other posts with these codes mentioned, but it appears that most of the folks suffering from these can't get their cars to run. After thinking about the max of 0.2 BAR of boost and the car's anemic feeling, I figured it probably was something to do with the e-throttle signal and/or the TPS.

With no other way of troubleshooting other than to check the TPS connector (which was good), I decided to re-flash the DME. The car now once again runs fine, there are no codes present (at least after a short test drive), and the car now makes normal levels of boost.

After the re-flash, I put my code reader on and checked the PIDs. The Throttle Position shows about 4% with no throttle, and 100% with the throttle floored. I assume these are about correct? I would also assume that if the PID is showing 100% throttle with the pedal floored, that if I have any more problems that the problem must lie with the TPS and not the e-pedal signal? Has anyone had any similar experiences, or had to replace the throttle body assembly due to TPS codes?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 11-20-2015, 04:55 PM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
Reviving this old thread...
I just had the same thing happen to me on my way home from work.
2003, 29000 miles, markski 1.0 tune, sambott kline exhaust.

I turned the car off, re-started, and everything seems fine except when I plug in the Durametric these codes show up...

Suggestions?

Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 PM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
I just did the throttle body reset as I understood it.
Ignition on for 60 seconds
Ignition off for 5 seconds
Ignition on for 15 seconds
Ignition off and throttle reset complete.

I bought an extended warranty when I bought the car and it expires in 350 miles (ended at 30k or 3years)! Not sure if there is anything I need to do or check, or if I should take it to the dealer and let the warranty company deal with it...

Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by danhaug70
I just did the throttle body reset as I understood it.
Ignition on for 60 seconds
Ignition off for 5 seconds
Ignition on for 15 seconds
Ignition off and throttle reset complete.

I bought an extended warranty when I bought the car and it expires in 350 miles (ended at 30k or 3years)! Not sure if there is anything I need to do or check, or if I should take it to the dealer and let the warranty company deal with it...

Any suggestions appreciated.
If you have a warranty take advantage of it.

From my reference:

P1122:

431 Throttle position sensor 2 - signal implausible
431 Throttle position sensor 2 - below limit
431 Throttle position sensor 2 - above limit

Possible fault cause
♦ Open circuit in wiring
♦ Short circuit in wiring
♦ Throttle position sensor faulty
♦ DME control module faulty

None of the 4 possible fault causes is going to be cheap to identify and address.

That you turned the engine off and the fault was not present upon restart suggests it is probably a bad (currently intermittently) throttle position sensor.

Don't think it makes a difference but my info is the throttle reset is engine off, foot off the gas pedal during this entire process, turn the ignition to on but do not start the engine. Wait 60 seconds. Turn the key off for at least 10 seconds. Done.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
If you have a warranty take advantage of it.

From my reference:

P1122:

431 Throttle position sensor 2 - signal implausible
431 Throttle position sensor 2 - below limit
431 Throttle position sensor 2 - above limit

Possible fault cause
♦ Open circuit in wiring
♦ Short circuit in wiring
♦ Throttle position sensor faulty
♦ DME control module faulty

None of the 4 possible fault causes is going to be cheap to identify and address.

That you turned the engine off and the fault was not present upon restart suggests it is probably a bad (currently intermittently) throttle position sensor.

Don't think it makes a difference but my info is the throttle reset is engine off, foot off the gas pedal during this entire process, turn the ignition to on but do not start the engine. Wait 60 seconds. Turn the key off for at least 10 seconds. Done.

Thanks for the reply.... I'll head to my Indy and see if he can do the warranty repair when its intermittent.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:34 PM
And to the OP... Sorry for the high jack , but after five years I assume you won't mind....

Old 11-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
any update on the issue?

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-30-2015, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
any update on the issue?
Not yet... I will be taking the car in this week before the warranty expires.
I'll post what I find out in a few days.

Dan

Old 12-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
any update on the issue?
I got the car back from my Indy on Friday. His cure for my ill was to replace the throttle body.
Hope it is fixed because my warranty expires very soon.

Fingers crossed but so far so good.

Dan

Old 12-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Good luck Dan. Maybe he can keep an open ticket for you just in case.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Thanks Sam... I hope so.
On the bright side, the car is running great.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Thought I'd give an update on my issue... The new throttle body seems to have fixed the car.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 AM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
That code means to clean your throttle body. There's oil on the flap and sometimes it looks clean but needs a spray of throttle body cleaning. Getting a new one works but those are very hard to be bad.