996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

CA Race Gas Ban

Old 06-06-2010, 11:59 PM
TTHunter has a spectacular aura aboutTTHunter has a spectacular aura aboutTTHunter has a spectacular aura about
Found this to be an interesting read....

http://elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 AM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
Another reason why Texas Rules!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 AM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
Nice I am going to have to try it...but i am scared.

Originally Posted by TTHunter
Found this to be an interesting read....

http://elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 AM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
Wassup Richie?

Anyone know where to get some Toluene in Los Angeles?
I get mine at Vista Paint $6 a gallon.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
? We are... just like when we bailed out the unregulated ( by the Republican party) banking industry...
Really?

Congress has been both republican and democratic over the past 50 years (often changing hands)....no one sought to regulate the banking industry.

Furthermore, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...both supported heavily by Barney Frank...a democrat who said prior to their near collapse "let's roll the dice [with them]".

Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
Three months I have had to fill out a form justifying my VP 109 purchase. I purchased the gas before a PCA event and now align all of my purchases with track events. This is not really a big deal. You can still get the gas you just have to say what it is being used for. Millions of gallons of race gas are being sold every month for all types of events (drags, off road, track days) and it would take an army of officals to run down each user to ensure proper usage.

If you are local to Orange County go to Ace Auto in HB 714-964-2000. Ask for Bruce and he will take good care of you.

No need to install Meth, leave california or stop have fun.

100 Pump gas is approved for street but is not even close to VP 109 or C16.
Totally agree with Robert. CA may have its faults but the all year near perfect turbo weather more than makes up for it.

Originally Posted by ard
Regs are near and dear to my heart...so I had a read.

1. Why isn't 109 and 116 considered a 'conforming' fuel??? Is it all leaded? or are there other issues?

2. They do not ban 'race fuel' but ban using non-conforming fuel in any non-race vehicle. robertp has the process down. We need to play games with 'events'... so be it.

3. These are REGULATIONS and not laws- they are not passed nor promulgated by elected officials, but by career bureaucrats with agendas... the public (ie YOU) can complain and write letters.

4. In one passage, it seems to indicate that they define a race vehicle by it's ability to be legally operated on a road: If you can drive it to the race, it is not a race vehicle. This definition seems legally unsupportable.

Unfortunately, the CARB is a very entrenched bureaucracy here.... while I like my clean air, the price we pay as Californians to be on the cutting edge (and beyond) on air pollution policy has gotten well out of hand...

A
MS109 is banned because it contains MTBE. MTBE has nothing to do with air pollution but rather ground water contamination. People who didn't live in LA in the 70s and 80s, have not experienced stage 3 smog alerts and how unbelivably bad the smog was then. It is soooo much better now because of smog controls. CA is not the only state that bans MTBE (see attachment). It's about 50/50 blue/red states.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MTBE Ban.pdf (44.7 KB, 744 views)

Last edited by TTdude; 06-08-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Totally agree with Robert. CA may have its faults but the all year near perfect turbo weather more than makes up for it.

MS109 is banned because it contains MTBE. MTBE has nothing to do with air pollution but rather ground water contamination. People who didn't live in LA in the 70s and 80s, have not experienced stage 3 smog alerts and how unbelivably bad the smog was then. It is soooo much better now because of smog controls. CA is not the only state that bans MTBE (see attachment). It's about 50/50 blue/red states.

thanks for the info. I grew up in cali and you are right the smog levels are much better now, but I would suspect it had a lot to do with the removal of most of the manufacturing industry from socal and the addition of cat systems than just the type of fuel. I think that if vp fuels were still available, there would be the same level of smog as there is now. Maybe diesel restrictions have helped as well, if there are such. Diesels cause much more contamination and smog than many cars. yet no one deals with this.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Anyone know where to buy toluene in the Maryland area?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
shonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to behold
in a recent study california was recently rated 51st in the us. too many rediculous regulations. all of this type of overwhelming, small minded, laying-on of the rules has occurred in the last 20 years by socially liberal governments. they've killed the golden goose!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:17 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Anyone know where to buy toluene in the Maryland area?
Check out some hardware stores near you for this product, Kleanstrip toluene. MSDS says its 95-100% pure. My guess it's probably closer to 100 but I've not tried in my tank. I think you would be better off just putting in ms109. It's cheaper and would probably get similar performance.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/

Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Wow! That really sucks for enthusiasts out in CA. Time to go E85. But it's not easy to find in the pump. And doubt it will get any better in the near future. Even in Ohio, I only have 1 pump 20 miles away....

Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Check out some hardware stores near you for this product, Kleanstrip toluene. MSDS says its 95-100% pure. My guess it's probably closer to 100 but I've not tried in my tank. I think you would be better off just putting in ms109. It's cheaper and would probably get similar performance.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/
Is ms109 unleaded?

I'm thinking that toluene at $6 a gallon is a lot cheaper as an additive than race gas. 100 octane race guess around here is $11 a gallon, rip off.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:12 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
You can get the race gas you just have to identify what and why you are using it. I have purchased about 30 gallons under the new rules. No issues.

100 octane in CA is now $8.99 per gallon. VP 109 $11.00 per gallon.

I could never run toluene in my car.......

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by robertp
I could never run toluene in my car.......
Why not? The article posted said that gasoline companies put it in gas as an octane booster.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
Why not? The article posted said that gasoline companies put it in gas as an octane booster.
The F1 guys used to have a heyday with tolulene on the unlimited 1.5 l turbo engines making 1500hp during the 80’s…toluene is a significant component of high octane fuel. You would have no problem running your turbo with toluene as an octane booster. You just to make sure that the toluene you get is pure and not technical grade consisting of mixture of other products--that to me is the greatest risk of using toluene purchased from a hardware store. Pure toluene however would be better than mixing that 100 octane junk we have in CA, imo.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CA Race Gas Ban