996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What gains from pipework and coolers ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
Gains from pipework and coolers ?(Result data on page 2)

In the last two days i have replaced my coolers and intake pipework from the maf down, what sort of gains could i see on a K24 car running 1.1bar flash.

Engine dropped and old coolers and pipework removed

Inlet of old GT2 coolers compared to Bell cored units.

Old pipework compared to alloy hard pipe.

Last edited by Neil A; 06-11-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Look awesome. Who made the pipes? Let us know how much is better.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:57 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Cant give you a number but doubt you will be disappointed. I would especially expect to see improvement at the top of the rpm band though.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
I dont know who actualy made them, i bought the coolers and pipework from Al Norton off here. They were awkward to fit with the engine still in place but the fit on them is great clearance wise.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Mgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to behold
Don't you mostly pick up boost protection and reliability?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:05 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mgib
Don't you mostly pick up boost protection and reliability?
No, you also get faster spool and less power die off up top due to maxed out airflow through stock intake piping. My car also have much more audible turbo noise once I replaced the stock intake piping.

As far as ICs, my car boosted 0.1 bar higher after I upgraded. I guess the stock ICs were not allowing as much boost by as the ECU was calling for. I doubt the OP will see much of a boost increase with his tune though.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:15 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
No, you also get faster spool and less power die off up top due to maxed out airflow through stock intake piping. My car also have much more audible turbo noise once I replaced the stock intake piping.

As far as ICs, my car boosted 0.1 bar higher after I upgraded. I guess the stock ICs were not allowing as much boost by as the ECU was calling for. I doubt the OP will see much of a boost increase with his tune though.
When I finally upgrade to these items, I would expect a 20-40whp increase with the appropriate tuning, if not more.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
When I finally upgrade to these items, I would expect a 20-40whp increase with the appropriate tuning, if not more.
Very reasonable expectation.
EVOMS GT700 kit adds the intake piping and a tune (and some other less vital items) and adds 40 crank hp. The ICs would probably be good for a few more.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the info guys i know i wont see big gains because of the smaller turbos, but will report back my findings once i have been for a test drive.
Im going to disconnect the batery for half an hour to reset the ecu then go for a drive to let it addapt. I also took some Durametric logs before changing the parts so will do the same runs after to compare temps and at wich points boost builds.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:18 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Well it would be nice to compare your results with mine,I don't have bigger piping but I have better intercoolers ,K16/24,and FVD flash for 1-1.1 bar boost.
Here are my results:

Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
nice pipe work looks like a great fit.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:11 AM
I have just been out and did 25 miles in the car , and im pleased to say there are no new knocks or rattles and actualy think i have fixed some of the old one while i was under there .
The car seems to rev more freely, sounds slightly different , and boosts earlyer its hard to watch the boost gauge while on bumpy back roads but looked to be making 1.1bar just after 3000 rpm in 3rd and 4th. I will try to get some proper data logs tonight once the roads are quieter , so we can compare them to the last set of data.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Neil A
I have just been out and did 25 miles in the car , and im pleased to say there are no new knocks or rattles and actualy think i have fixed some of the old one while i was under there .
The car seems to rev more freely, sounds slightly different , and boosts earlyer its hard to watch the boost gauge while on bumpy back roads but looked to be making 1.1bar just after 3000 rpm in 3rd and 4th. I will try to get some proper data logs tonight once the roads are quieter , so we can compare them to the last set of data.
neil, are these 18g's?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:16 AM
No just standard K24's justnow im wanting to do all the mods it help flow then go 18g towards the end of the year.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:24 AM
thanks just wondering cos 1.1 bar at 3k would be nice and having issues with my car so wanted a benchmark.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What gains from pipework and coolers ?