996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Another Oil Debate...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:39 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Personally I only use pure sperm whale oil in my car. It adds at least 20HP because the lubricating properties of it are far in advance of anything else on the market.

The only trouble is it's pretty hard to get and I've lost 5 crewmen from my whaling boat this year alone...

Old 10-08-2011, 04:43 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
anyone here using lubro moly oil?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Yep most of the wear occurs at start up and 0,5,10,15,20 before the W is very important! I hear the whale oil is good as it can be programmed with boost controller to change viscosity
As needed

Originally Posted by Cayman Cab S
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Ok well just a quick lesson for you after chasing me down on my comment and telling me i am talking out of my ***..

UMM.. the 10 before the W has absolutely NO BEARING AT ALL on protection in the heat.. The W stands for WINTER.. Its the viscosity of the oil on startup..
Most BEArINg wear occurs on startup, IIRC...

Old 10-08-2011, 09:30 PM
paulycw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by randomquickness
so my 996tt has been running mobil1 5w40 and I randomly get the poof of white smoke upon start up. Is there a reliable proven oil I could try that would eliminate the white smoke? I'm due for an oil change right now.
On my 996TT, when I am 2 or 3 bars below the maximum oil level the chance of white smoke at start up is greatly reduced. Your engine will be fine as long as it is above the minimum oil level.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:45 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Wow that's a ridiculously short time period to be changing your oil. There's plenty of zinc to last a lot longer than that! What makes you think there's not enough zinc to last more than 3k miles?
Hi,I agree with you....I know everyone wants their babys oil changed regularly but even in Porsche Panorama,,,they also say anything under 7,000 miles is a waste of the oil and money{and they recommend higher intervals then even that..lol..] because of the properties of modern synthetic,,,,,I agree also with that,,,, unless you track or live in very high heat climate ....Also,according to my info charts that I have read/saw with oils in the 5W40 ,0W50,15W50,20W50 range >>>>>Mobil one has more then most competitors in Zinc.....Their is an oil comparison chart/test in Thunderpress.net[July 2011 issue]..Just my info and thoughts here....Hope it helps......

Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
royal purple is probably 1 of the last oils i would ever run.. I might try water 1st.. I have seen more lab results to prove that stuff is JUNK than anything else.. Great marketing skills with Purple oil.. Thats about it..

Mike

Could you please post some of the lab results you are referring to? I can't find anything against RP, except a very few people's opinions. I have been finding more praises about RP than anything. I would love to see where RP failed, and what test. I've seen they pass the NOACK test with ease, The bearing wear test, better than any oil I've seen, Blackstone oil analysis for a few different weights that were great, and many great consumer reports, but nothing bad besides a few peoples comments. Please let us see these lab results your referring to.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:44 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
OHH, By the way Mike. "Oils with the letter W are defined by maximum low temperature cranking and pumping viscosities and a minimum kinematic viscosity at 100°C". That's the definition I have found. Can't find anything that says it stands for "winter"

Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
OHH, By the way Mike. "Oils with the letter W are defined by maximum low temperature cranking and pumping viscosities and a minimum kinematic viscosity at 100°C". That's the definition I have found. Can't find anything that says it stands for "winter"
Here is 1 article in google.. If you need more let me know.. Ill gladly google some more if you need.. regardless though what the letter W stands for, the 1st # is cold viscosity.. So once again the 10 in 10W30 DOES NOTHING for your HOT ariziona temps my friend.. That is the viscosity while measured cold..

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/A...ally_mean.aspx

Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 AM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by paulycw
On my 996TT, when I am 2 or 3 bars below the maximum oil level the chance of white smoke at start up is greatly reduced. Your engine will be fine as long as it is above the minimum oil level.
Thanks! I'll try and keep it away from "max" and see if I notice a difference.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Here is a very good source about oils in general and how the EPA has made some oil companies reduce ZDDP, which protects our engines, because they said in reduces catalytic converter life, as I stated way above. This article has good info and actually mentions what happened to the good old Mobile 1, and now how they have the extended life oil now with high levels of ZDDP again. It also mentions Royal Purple having good amounts of ZDDP. It is a good read. This makes sense now to me. Read this: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
motorcycle oil is not as controlled by the EPA and has more additives to combat wear. Don't use it if you have cat's in your car because some of the additives will kill them.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
motorcycle oil is not as controlled by the EPA and has more additives to combat wear. Don't use it if you have cat's in your car because some of the additives will kill them.
Agreed....I even think that some diesel oils MIGHT fall in to this also??

Old 10-11-2011, 03:27 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Agreed....I even think that some diesel oils MIGHT fall in to this also??
The diesel oils people use on this forum are Mobil 1 TDT, Delvac 1 ESP, and Rotella T6. These oils ARE subject to EPA regulation because modern diesels have catalytic converters. These oils ARE approved for use in gasoline engines- Mobil will tell you that in writing.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
The diesel oils people use on this forum are Mobil 1 TDT, Delvac 1 ESP, and Rotella T6. These oils ARE subject to EPA regulation because modern diesels have catalytic converters. These oils ARE approved for use in gasoline engines- Mobil will tell you that in writing.
Hi,Good to know...Then I would think it is a no brainer to use them??..Also you would think these major oil/gas companies would have an edge on the smaller companies as far as the Whole additive package...IMO

Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
gee wizz kevin told me my turbos failed because i used red line and not mobil 1 of course thats when he was charging for rebuilding his turbos that lasted about 3000 miles .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another Oil Debate...