996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Another Oil Debate...

Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Another Oil Debate...

The thread started over at 997TT but I thought for those who don't venture there debate here might be useful..

I've just had my car serviced by the respected German tuner closely associated with RUF. They’ve put in Castrol edge. I was panicking at first as I’ve always had mobile 1 and was completely shocked when they’ve told me. However tuner told me mobile 1 is ok for stock cars. (To be fair that’s what Porsche recommends it for). However in his experience once you start tuning cars, mobile 1 cause’s chain slap. WTF? I took his word for it. Also Castrol apparently has leaped forward with the new formula and it’s at the moment said to be a superior oil.

Castrol edge makes some bold claims agains mobile 1...

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/

Attached Images   
Old 06-19-2010, 12:11 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
interesting ,, thanks for sharing . my tuner recomends Valvoline VR1 , 20w50 since its the only one with ZDP in it anymore. and i believe its not fully synthetic either.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
I think personally for SHELF oil the Valvoline Vr1 is 1 of the best.. That wear on the cams IMO is lack of ZDP.. We ran Amsoil Dominator which is full of it on my 10k+ RPM 1000whp Evo and when we pulled the motor down the cams had a nice thin coating of protection over them.. They showed no signs of pitts, wear, etc.. That showed me the benefit of ZDP..

I personally run Motul 300v Power 5w40 in 997tt.. Can i say its good or not in the car i really cant as i dont plan to tear down the motor for inspection.. I have done enough research to trust it..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; 06-19-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:40 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Amsoil Dominator is used in high use/TQ diesel trash trucks nation wide. Might be the best oil in the world for long term protection and less frequent oil changing applications. I run it in my farm equipment (John Deere and Ford Massey tractors) but I will not run it in my gas cars.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Mobil one is OK if you religiously change every 3K miles....its viscosity is good, it just needs more zinc.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:01 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Valvoline has lots of zinc and phosphorus and it shloud be the best "racing" oil in the market.

They make a 5W-50 grade VR-1, and I'll try it for my next oil swap. It costs a lot though..35 dollars for a quart here.. But I never bothered about oil cost.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Valvoline has lots of zinc and phosphorus and it shloud be the best "racing" oil in the market.

They make a 5W-50 grade VR-1, and I'll try it for my next oil swap. It costs a lot though..35 dollars for a quart here.. But I never bothered about oil cost.
wow 35/qt.. Thats crazy..

Old 06-19-2010, 01:18 PM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
I use Castrol Edge Sport 0W40 but i know that Castrol sells 10W60 too ... would you go with it for a full race use or not ?
Mobil1 is not a choice for me since the day i have seen the problems you can have if you don't change it more than frequently !
Emadelta, interesting the VR-1 too ... where do you buy it ?
And, thank you for the REP !!!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ThePunisher
I use Castrol Edge Sport 0W40 but i know that Castrol sells 10W60 too ... would you go with it for a full race use or not ?
Mobil1 is not a choice for me since the day i have seen the problems you can have if you don't change it more than frequently !
Emadelta, interesting the VR-1 too ... where do you buy it ?
And, thank you for the REP !!!
That 10w60 if I am not mistake is for BMW M5..

Here is a common misconception also.. Not pointing fingers at you but just want to point out some things in my opinion that make people choose 1 weight oil over another..

The heavier weight oil offers NO MORE protection than a 30wt oil regardless if your in the desert where it is HOT, or racing for 1hr on road course or in the north where its 50 degrees..

Here is how i choose weight of oil.. I go by manufacture specs because it is my opinion that you choose the weight based on the bearing clearances not what your doing with the car.. I dont look at all the marketing and promotion of mobil 1 as Porsche recommends always but i would think they are smart enough to at least recommend the right weight oil so i try to stay within their suggestion..

If you have loose clearances in a race motor you would run a thicker 50 weight oil.. If you built it tight you would run 30wt oil.. I have had to make adjustments to oil used just on bearing clearances.. You really want the THINNEST OIL possible to be used.. Probably why BMW suggest 60wt ONLY for the m5 and have documented issues of spun bearings from wrong oil weight..

Ill also say that probably 99.9% of all the members on here will NEVER experience a motor failure from using 1 brand of oil vs. the other..

Mike

Old 06-19-2010, 02:29 PM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
That 10w60 if I am not mistake is for BMW M5..

Here is a common misconception also.. Not pointing fingers at you but just want to point out some things in my opinion that make people choose 1 weight oil over another..

The heavier weight oil offers NO MORE protection than a 30wt oil regardless if your in the desert where it is HOT, or racing for 1hr on road course or in the north where its 50 degrees..

Here is how i choose weight of oil.. I go by manufacture specs because it is my opinion that you choose the weight based on the bearing clearances not what your doing with the car.. I dont look at all the marketing and promotion of mobil 1 as Porsche recommends always but i would think they are smart enough to at least recommend the right weight oil so i try to stay within their suggestion..

If you have loose clearances in a race motor you would run a thicker 50 weight oil.. If you built it tight you would run 30wt oil.. I have had to make adjustments to oil used just on bearing clearances.. You really want the THINNEST OIL possible to be used.. Probably why BMW suggest 60wt ONLY for the m5 and have documented issues of spun bearings from wrong oil weight..

Ill also say that probably 99.9% of all the members on here will NEVER experience a motor failure from using 1 brand of oil vs. the other..

Mike
Mike, this is the kind of answer i was looking for !

Old 06-19-2010, 02:34 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
I'll also say that probably 99.9% of all the members on here will NEVER experience a motor failure from using 1 brand of oil vs. the other.
Precisely. Running 1.4 bar on pump gas will do more damage than any oil will ever do.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:46 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of

Mike
100% true

Old 06-19-2010, 03:01 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
interesting ,, thanks for sharing . my tuner recomends Valvoline VR1 , 20w50 since its the only one with ZDP in it anymore. and i believe its not fully synthetic either.
I run Valvoline VR1 20w50 too.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
I run Valvoline VR1 20w50 too.
Aaron I know lol

Old 06-19-2010, 03:33 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
a mechanic friend of mine swears that royal purple xpr oil is one of the best.. anybody know anything about this brand for our cars?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another Oil Debate...