996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What's your criteria for selecting and independent shop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 AM
S4Drifter will become famous soon enough
Question What's your criteria for selecting and independent shop?

When it comes time to have someone do work on my turbo, I really only have one choice that's within an hour of my house. The dealer is no closer. Yet, where I live, there seems to be a high demand.

A buddy of mine is therefore thinking of opening up a shop to cater to high end European vehicles. Not a tuner, just and independent shop. My question to you is this: What makes you choose the mechanic/shop you do? What criteria is involved in selecting the shop and more importantly, what would it take for you to try someone new?

I am a marketing guy by trade, but the best information always comes from the target market (you! ).

Thanks in advance for the input guys!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
A) Experience working on these cars. B) Cost. and of course, C) service, in that order. A reflects B, based on time. I would give a new shop a chance, if the cost was reasonable enough to "switch". Tough digs starting out now in this economy. Good Luck to your friend!!!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:14 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Marketing is one thing, the shop and the tech delivering, is another. Having a great website may bring clients through the door, but keeping them will depend on the quality of his work, his people skills, and his character. I went through 3 shops before finding a guy I could work with. He does first class work, is meticulous, and treats me and my car with respect. He knows his trade. He does the work in the time frame he tells me. His shop is clean and neat. He is honest and the one time he made a mistake he owned up to it and corrected it on his dime. He charges the going rate but it's worth it to me to know that I can trust what he says and does to be straightforward.

Last edited by landjet; 07-15-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Mgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to behold
Honesty, Ability, Cost. No hidden fees, add-ons, or bull****.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 PM
S4Drifter will become famous soon enough
Thanks guys. Follow up question. What would be the best way for him to reach out and communicate with potential customers? Sure he can advertise in the local PCA newsletter etc... and I plan on a Facebook page etc... but my opinion is his time/money is better spent doing tech sessions and offering hands on activities such as Local drives and shows. Let people meet him and his current customers. Your thoughts?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:26 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Definitely make a good website and the tech sessions for meeting people face to face is also very good. Our local shops run monthly ads in the PCA newsletter too. Going to the track and meeting people and offering track support will have him meeting the hard core folks who spend money on mods and more frequent maintenance. Most others only do Porsche recommended maintenance intervals or emergency repairs.

Last edited by landjet; 07-15-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Yeah I would say local club involvement would be a huge plus! My local indy is the club President this year. You probably won't screw the people you hang out with and not have a bad name real quick!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
You don't have to go crazy when starting up just make sure people who of you and if you do honest, dependable work w/out crazy costs word will spread. I was in private restaurant business for 4 years and we advertised 2 times, it was all word of mouth. Website helps yes but its the work that will pay bills. Good luck to your buddy