996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

KW V3 Ride Height, C & R, and Alignment Settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:30 PM
dog4delta will become famous soon enoughdog4delta will become famous soon enough
KW V3 Ride Height, C & R, and Alignment Settings

Getting ready to install KW V3s on my ’03 Turbo. I’m still trying to figure out where to set the ride height, compression & rebound settings, and alignment specs. The car is on OEM size 18” tires & wheels. The car sees an occasional DE event (intermediate / blue group) but is mostly just street driven for pleasure. At present running Michelin Pilot Sports for DE, but will most likely try some R-compound tires after a few more events. The only other suspension mod is an H&R rear (adjustable) sway bar. Will be installing new OEM top strut mounts, but at this point not planning on going with after market camber plates.

Per the service manual, these are the spec ride heights:

Front ride height with 18−inch wheels [mm]. From road contact surface to lower edge of hexagon−head bolt (a/f 18) of the tension−strut screw connection to the body;

Turbo USA 158 ± 10
Turbo ROW 138 ± 10
Turbo X73 128 ± 10
GT2 118 + 5

Rear ride height. From wheel contact surface to the locating bore in the rear−axle side section (between toe and camber eccentrics);

Turbo USA 163 ± 10
Turbo ROW 153 ± 10
Turbo X73 133 ± 10
GT2 133 + 5

My initial thoughts are to go with the X73 spec in terms of ride height. That will put the front end a little more than an inch lower than stock. I’m afraid the GT2 height will be too low for street driving. Anyone have any advice to offer in terms of ride height?

Does anyone running KWs have any baseline settings for the spring collar positions, BEFORE the struts get installed? Any recommendations for C/R settings (street & DE if available)?

I’m also thinking about using the X73 alignment specs. Those specs call for -0 45’ deg of camber in the front (stock is 0 deg, GT2 is -1.0 deg) and -1 40’ deg of camber in the rear (stock is -1 25’, GT2 is -1 50’). Toe & caster are all the same for USA Turbo, ROW turbo, and X73. I think I can achieve those camber settings using OEM adjustability, but am not for sure. Again, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 PM
silverlight is on a distinguished road
Hi - I just had a set installed using GT2 spec's (19" rims). Just fine for street driving (pretty much all I do) and have had no issues. We have two entrances to our driveway, and the nearest one is now out of the cards as I scrape the front lip going in/out on that side but fortunately good on the other (which has had a small fraction of the in/out traffic). The ride is awesome! Love the upgrade over stock - they handle FAR better but at the same time feel better over the bumps (less harsh). Best of both worlds! Have fun with them!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:49 PM
DJM
DJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really nice
I am on the verge of purchasing some of these as well, and had a few questions that maybe you guys could answer. First I know labor rates can vary with geographic location but in general how much are you guys paying for install corner balance and alignment? Secondly did any of you guys do the install yourself and then take it some where for corner balance and alignment and if so how much should I expect to pay for that service. Also in both scenerios do have the corner balance and alignment performed and then drive a few hundred miles and let the springs settle and the go back and have everything checked and realigned or do you have the install performed drive some miles and then go in for the c/b and alignment. thanks guys

Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
DJM
DJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really nice
With all the folks that have had coil overs installed on the board, no sage adivce to pass on?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
silverlight is on a distinguished road
I know Dan at Vivd as worked alot with these kits so might be worth tossing this over to him for his thoughts. He recommended I install, go to GT2 settings, let it settle, then make adjustments as necessary to height and compression/rebound. I had full corner balance done on install, but they're going to do it again shortly (fortunately for free) as to get to 100% alignment they needed to replace an inexpensive bar underneath my car that was slightly bent, affecting my rear right alignment which they needed to order.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
DJM
Originally Posted by silverlight
I know Dan at Vivd as worked alot with these kits so might be worth tossing this over to him for his thoughts. He recommended I install, go to GT2 settings, let it settle, then make adjustments as necessary to height and compression/rebound. I had full corner balance done on install, but they're going to do it again shortly (fortunately for free) as to get to 100% alignment they needed to replace an inexpensive bar underneath my car that was slightly bent, affecting my rear right alignment which they needed to order.

Thanks, if you dont mind, it looks like your in NY so not the same as FL, but what did you pay for the install and C/B with alignment? I have been quoted 800-1300 and that was quite a spread so I am trying to get a feel for what is normal or appropriate.

Josh

Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 AM
charnph is on a distinguished road
I have the V3 with HLS lift kit, so I can comment a little bit on this. This is my current alignment:
Height: Front = 128 mm.,
Rear = 133 mm.

Toe: Front
Left = +0.0 mm.,
Front Right = +0.0 mm.,
Rear Left = +0.3 mm.
Rear Right = +0.4 mm.

Camber: Front
Left = -1.34 degree, (-0.4)
Front Right = -1.46 degree, (-0.4)
Rear Left = -1.48 degree,
Rear Right = -1.51 degree

Caster: Front Left = +7.54 degree, (-8.0)
Front Right = +7.46 degree. (-8.0)

For the first few month my D/R setting were a few click softer than the standard setting. It was actually quite nice at speed up to about 100MPH on smooth road, but it get a little bit too bumpy on a on a not so smooth Thailand highway going above 125. So I soften the setting up a few more clicks and it work out quite nicely. Over a VERY bumpy surface, it would react a lot better than stock suspension, and high-speed stability improved by a lot. However, the car few a little bit sluggish while doing hard corners or fast passing. I am installing a new rear sway bar, motor mount and tran mount in a month, so I think I am going to readjust everything then.

I read that KW actually work a lot better with harder R/D setting, so I would really appreciate feedback from other members on this subject as well.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I'm on stock wheels but have gone to 245/40/18 and 315/30/18 tires. 7mm spacers all around. I have a track alignment at -2.25 camber front and rear. My ride height is set at 109mm front and 119mm rear. No rubbing or any problems. The car looks good and drives even better.

Last edited by landjet; 07-21-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
I'm on stock wheels but have gone to 245/40/18 and 315/30/18 tires. 7mm spacers all around. I have a track alignment at -2.25 camber front and rear. My ride height is set at 109mm front and 119mm rear. No rubbing or any problems. The car looks good and drives even better.
What tires are you using with that alignment?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Nitto NT01's.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I suggest 15mm spacers all around (you can do 21mm rear if you want to roll the rear fenders) and an H&R sway bar in the rear. Finally, you can go with 255/35-18s (same diameter as stock) iin front with more aggressive camber to dial out a LOT of the understeer.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-21-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
This is where I have mine; mainly street use, ride height is about 10mm above GT2 (315/25-19, 235) no rubbing issues, good day to day.

Start by closing the valve and then counting the clicks as i open it

Compression = 3 clicks from close

Rebound = 5 clicks from open (yes very loose rebound to prevent the car from having the bouncing effect )

Old 07-21-2010, 11:51 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
Nitto NT01's.
Larry, I thought you rolled your fenders to clear the 315's in the rear. Please clarify.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:44 AM
I did roll my rear fenders. I had 15mm spacers on the rears but it was so close to the fender I bought another set of 7mm to give a little more room for the track. I was at the track this past weekend and didn't have any problems. The wider tires do make a difference even on the street. NT01's are R compound track tires.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have the KW V3 on my 997TT setup amazing. Ride height, alignment, compression, and rebound

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KW V3 Ride Height, C & R, and Alignment Settings