996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spark Plug Installation - Basic DIY Guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
How did you get a torque wrench in there to properly tighten all the bolts/plugs without taking the bumper off? Btw, it only takes about 20 minutes to remove the bumper cover and intercoolers.

Originally Posted by idget
Thanks for the tip! I'll try it that way next time.

Based on the pictures it definitely looks like access to the front plugs would be much more direct with the bumper off.

To be honest I was being a bit lazy and decided to try it with the exhaust off since it was coming off anyway.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Took me quite awhile to do the plugs the first time. Probably about 6 hours. I had to do a run to Sears to get a 12" extension and had some trouble gettting the boost hoses reinstalled correctly. Now after doing it once and being familiar with things, I think I could do it in 2 hours without a problem.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 PM
idget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by johnselli
How did you get a torque wrench in there to properly tighten all the bolts/plugs without taking the bumper off? Btw, it only takes about 20 minutes to remove the bumper cover and intercoolers.
with some math:

http://www.norbar.com/calculators/to...alculator.aspx

3 of them didn't require any extensions (that increased the lever arm) so I used a different torque wrench on those.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 PM
karimhamir is on a distinguished road
John: How do you change the plug without removing anything?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karimhamir
John: How do you change the plug without removing anything?
I'm pretty sure the only way to do that is to pay someone else to do it.

Either you take off the bumper and everything else in the way or remove the CATs and try to get your arm and fingers in there without being able to see. Either way, stuff has to come off.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
That's what I thought when reading the post.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM
That's what I thought when reading the post.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
The bumper-off method is most definitely easier for a non seasoned tech on this car, or if you only have access to/own the most basic of tools to get the job completed. I don't bother with bumper removal these days but I've done it numerous times now. On a car with a catless aftermarket system, the job goes quite quick even without removing the bumpers as there's a little bit more room down there where every bit makes a huge difference.

One note to make here, if you plan to do this yourself and do not have a helping hand with the bumper removal/installation it's a good idea to pick up a roll of 2-3" wide painters tape and lightly lay a couple layers on the rear quarters right along the body seam of the bumper/quarter. You can easily drag the bumper lip up on the quarter during the R&R if you're not paying attention and will scratch the paint, or mar it at the least(especially if there's dirt trapped in that lip).

Oh and be VERY cautious about torquing down the four tail lamp retention torx bolts when done. I've witness so many people cram those things in and snap the black mounting plastic of the lense body.

Otherwise, solid writeup guys

Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm trying to take the bumper off and the stoppers seem to be in the way. The two rubber bumper next to the license plate. Anyone know how to remove these???

Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
Look underneath them, you'll see a small little cover. pop that off(small pick or screwdriver) and then you can insert an socket up underneath and remove the bolts that holds them inplace(one per bumprette)

If they are OEM fasteners, I believe they are an 8mm allen. Don't quite remember to be honest but I could look it up quick

Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 PM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by karimhamir
I'm trying to take the bumper off and the stoppers seem to be in the way. The two rubber bumper next to the license plate. Anyone know how to remove these???
Look on the underside of the bumpers. There are plugs that need to come off. Use a small flathead screw driver to carefully pry them out. Once you move those out of the way, look up and you will see a bolt that is holding the bumpers to the metal bumper frame. There are 5mm (if I remember correctly) hex head , one on each side. Once those are out, the bumpers come off an that allows the entire cover to come off if you have all the rest of the screws out.

Happy wrenching!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Found it!

Thanks

Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM
croach is on a distinguished road
Guys,

I DIY mine this weekend. Took about 6-7 hours in total. I would add.

REMOVE YOUR TAIL LIGHTS. They are removed in the pics, but does not say that specifically. I chipped mine removing the bumper... Locktet and all good.

But I would do that.
Besides that... Great POST!!!
I would never done this without this post. Thank you, thank you , thank you. Saved myself about $400-$500

Old 04-27-2015, 01:10 PM
PatrickBE is on a distinguished road
Just did my sparkplugs today. THX for the DIY !!

Old 04-28-2015, 02:19 PM
BILLZ260 is on a distinguished road
Tool List?