996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997.2 Intercoolers - Wow!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:34 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dynamic gt2
The issue we are facing in the flashed 997tt is the high IAT (160fahrenheit)and this is obvious from the 3rd gear,i cant find a reason other the ic that can cause that,who think there is another cause?
Thanks.
Ali
Hi Ali,

I own a 2007 997TT 6spd tuned with ugraded VTGs, 660hp/900Nm.
My stock Ics were heat soacked even by 10°C end 4rth gear when hard pulling (IAT>60°C)...
I bolted 997.2Ics and now IAT get 60°C end 6th by 10°C AT...
My experience is the 997.2 parts are far better than the 997.1's, but still not enough to hold long runs with tuned 997TT cars.
Until you will play 100-200 or 60-130 they are cool, but not for long runs at high speeds...

I'm now myself looking for a solution to resolve this issue, perhap's water spraying my cores, because the others Ics I logged (Durametric 6) were all worse...

You have to know too the 997TT ECU is very very conservative, far more than the 996TT one.
So the maximum IAT allowed with the 997.2 Ics can suit well a 996TT which will not go into time pulling or Lambda enrichment even by 55°C IAT, but the same IAT will "brake" a lot the 997...

Those 2 cars do not react equally with IAT, some tuners can modify the knocking tables, time regulation and Lambda correction of the 997, but it is dangerous and going backward...

Let us know the following...

P.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:33 AM
H8T WP is infamous around these parts
hmm, the intercooler pipes are bigger and my kit wont fit , its a few mm too small, what can i do ?

Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by H8T WP
hmm, the intercooler pipes are bigger and my kit wont fit , its a few mm too small, what can i do ?
grease the fittings and push harder or tap gently with a rubber mallet to get the fittings to click in. I run the Forge on mine, as do a few others. They are a tighter fit but still work.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by earl3
grease the fittings and push harder or tap gently with a rubber mallet to get the fittings to click in. I run the Forge on mine, as do a few others. They are a tighter fit but still work.
my issue is that the 997 cooler end is larger and 996 smaller, so when pushing it in, its too small for the 997 end tank and is loose and wont click in ... its just a few mm short? do you have pic of yours? so your saying just shove it in there?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:07 AM
They are not a Tighter fit, they are a looser fit. 996 hose diameter is smaller than 997 end tank diameter. It goes in but I can just pull it out with one hand. It will just blow off under boost if I leave it like that...

Old 02-11-2012, 06:48 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
I found this isn't the problem with aftermarket boost hoses there is a lip on the inside of the oem tank that the oem hose fits over and centers the hose , the aftermarket hoses have too small of an ID on the fitting I had to machine .010 of the ID of the fitting and it slipped in and snapped perfectly

Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 AM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jonty
I found this isn't the problem with aftermarket boost hoses there is a lip on the inside of the oem tank that the oem hose fits over and centers the hose , the aftermarket hoses have too small of an ID on the fitting I had to machine .010 of the ID of the fitting and it slipped in and snapped perfectly
Please, can you put a photo to explain the way that you resolve this problem. I have too forge hoses and I have the same problem .... The aftermarket hoses don´t fit like the stock.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by H8T WP
They are not a Tighter fit, they are a looser fit. 996 hose diameter is smaller than 997 end tank diameter. It goes in but I can just pull it out with one hand. It will just blow off under boost if I leave it like that...
So are you guys saying that the 997.2 intrercooler end tank diameter is different than the stock 996 end tank diameter? This hasn't been mentioned before. I have AP hoses on my stock 996 ICs. Will they not fit the 997.2 coolers properly without additional surgery?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jonty
I could see having to do that, but what I'm saying is that my Forge hose ends did not have too small of an ID. It was tighter than stock, but it fit with a touch of grease and gentle tapping. Machining it would probably negate the need for tapping it in. ...unless there was a batch of hose end with tighter IDs.

my issue is that the 997 cooler end is larger and 996 smaller, so when pushing it in, its too small for the 997 end tank and is loose and wont click in ... its just a few mm short? do you have pic of yours? so your saying just shove it in there?
I don't think you're clearing the lip that jonty is talking about. Here it is fully seated:

(hopefully we're all talking about the same thing here )

If its still not seating, you could:
A) have it machined
B) touch the inside of the bottom of the Forge adapter with a 60 grit dremel bit/roll to get the desired clearance

Last edited by earl3; 02-11-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by vshugo996
Please, can you put a photo to explain the way that you resolve this problem. I have too forge hoses and I have the same problem .... The aftermarket hoses don´t fit like the stock.
NOTE: This applies to Forge hoses only! Stock works fine and I'm not sure about other AM hoses.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Thats what I am talking about earl3

Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 PM
That's perfect info. Thanks

Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by phil996tt
Hi,

done the swap from 996 to 997.2 IC too with great results!

With "little" mods it fits nearly perfekt....

Log from Durametric at 15,4°C ambient temp.

Speed limited to ~250 because of winter tires.

Hey guys,
First of all I would like to thank Earl for such a fantastic write up. I'm getting ready to install a set of these ICs on my car and just had a question with regards to attaching the .2 intercooler end tank pins to the existing frames. Looking at the pictures here I can see that the rear end tank pins both attach to the frame. However, looking at the forward end tank (see third picture from the top), it looks like neither pin in attached to the frame which would mean that the front end tank is not supported in any way. Earl stated earlier that only one of the forward pins is unusable but here it looks like neither one of the front ones is engaged in the frame. Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong. Thanks in advance....

Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Did you need a Re-Tune after fitting these IC's

How much do you think you got out of it after fitting ?

Cheers,

Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Banned
MannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by K24F
Hi Ali,

I own a 2007 997TT 6spd tuned with ugraded VTGs, 660hp/900Nm.
My stock Ics were heat soacked even by 10°C end 4rth gear when hard pulling (IAT>60°C)...
I bolted 997.2Ics and now IAT get 60°C end 6th by 10°C AT...
My experience is the 997.2 parts are far better than the 997.1's, but still not enough to hold long runs with tuned 997TT cars.
Until you will play 100-200 or 60-130 they are cool, but not for long runs at high speeds...

I'm now myself looking for a solution to resolve this issue, perhap's water spraying my cores, because the others Ics I logged (Durametric 6) were all worse...

You have to know too the 997TT ECU is very very conservative, far more than the 996TT one.
So the maximum IAT allowed with the 997.2 Ics can suit well a 996TT which will not go into time pulling or Lambda enrichment even by 55°C IAT, but the same IAT will "brake" a lot the 997...

Those 2 cars do not react equally with IAT, some tuners can modify the knocking tables, time regulation and Lambda correction of the 997, but it is dangerous and going backward...

Let us know the following...

P.
Karol

No matter what u do. ppl here only believe on 997.2 and Secan Intercoolers only lol

Here is some reviews from other forums

Quote:
Thats an extremely high temp gain for a 1-4th gear romp. What setup & how much boost are you running? Are you sure there are no boost leaks?

RS tuning 600hp DME + Decat Europipe exhaust

1.55bar of boost

No boost or exhaust leaks

My IATs 1-4th gear redline (235kmh) are 58 deg with 997.2 coolers , if you look at the data posted by skand on Georges car as reference to my results on post 5 @ https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...game-over.html

you can see the datalog posted for the 997.1 ICs @ 230kmh 20 deg ambient reach 63 degrees IAT which is a little higher than my IATs with the .2 ICs at this speed.. and that was starting from 95kmh so i presume on third gear? which means lower heatsoak since there was no 1st and 2nd gear loading.

Whilst with the 997.2 ICs IATs at 237kmh is 45degrees @ 16 deg ambient.. and that was starting on third gear .... and i presume sparying the ICs with water? + bigger vtgs + ported engine = lower IATs

From what i understand when they conducted the test this was with 100octane fuel + 104 octane booster? My results are on 97 octane..

I am not bashing the 997.2 ICs i am only sharing my experiance which is what this thread is about.

Yes they are better than the 997.1 but our cars run stupid high boost plus the VTGs produce alot of heat compared to normal Turbos... also on the track they heatsoak faster than the 997.1 ICs on my car..

Last edited by MannschaftQ8; 04-05-2012 at 03:53 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Intercoolers - Wow!