996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tiptronic limits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Tiptronic limits

Looking for 600-650 Crank HP & 500 RWHP. Iv got K24's in the mail. Gonna do 24/18 upgrade. Gonna do 2.5-3 inch exhaust, tune, extrude hone or ported headers, and 5 bar FPR to start. At some later point i will do IC's, boost hoses and injectors. Already have evo intake. What sort of mods should i be thinking about for the stock tiptronic and who is doing these mods? I wont be on the track or strip. Its purely for my enjoyment and to put the mustangs, camaros and vettes to rest.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by perfuseme
Looking for 600-650 Crank HP & 500 RWHP. Iv got K24's in the mail. Gonna do 24/18 upgrade. Gonna do 2.5-3 inch exhaust, tune, extrude hone or ported headers, and 5 bar FPR to start. At some later point i will do IC's, boost hoses and injectors. Already have evo intake. What sort of mods should i be thinking about for the stock tiptronic and who is doing these mods? I wont be on the track or strip. Its purely for my enjoyment and to put the mustangs, camaros and vettes to rest.
I've been told that switzer and a couple others offer an upgrade for the tip, and you will likely need it. Downside is that Im told they need your box sent to them to work on it.

There is another source to get the parts only if you have someone capable to install them.

Also, I have a 5bar FPR that I bought last week in the classifieds here for 75 dollars last week. Ill sell it to you for the same if you want it. I'm giving up on my build because I don't want to get into tiptronic tranny re-building.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 PM
P2P
P2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the rough
I've the k24/18g,5 bar fpr setup its not enough u have to change ur injectors to take benefits .. when i run more than 1 bar it lean out coz of the lack of stock fuel sys.
Go straight and change ur injectors.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:00 PM
P2P
P2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the rough
Take a look on 911tuning.com they have a good quality kits with reasonable prices

Good Luck.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by perfuseme
With Proto 18g's u should be low-mid 500whp's and u will need

K24/18g's w/upgraded WG's
Clip turbine <--- it is $200 cheap and tricky option
Proto reflash
Greddy boost control
Diverter vales
Injectors w/fuel rail

Keep ur stock FPR it should be fine

Do u have old or new EVOMS intake??

BTW...I heard Akram ( Protomotive dealer ) in Houston offer rebuild/reinforce tip tranny also

Last edited by Shotcaller; 11-01-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
500-550whp but I don't think that the whp is so important like the torque.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Markski at 911Tuning is the King of this upgrade on 6speed. Check out his web site.

Todd at Vivid ran a Tip w/ some big HP too.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
Markski at 911Tuning is the King of this upgrade on 6speed. Check out his web site.

Todd at Vivid ran a Tip w/ some big HP too.
I'm no longer "at vivid" Craig. I wouldn't get anything bigger than 16/16gs on a tip unless you want continuous problems from your tranny. Just now worth it, IMO.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:23 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
No, the tip is much weaker than the stock 6 speed.

I'm trying to save you a ton of money and wasted down time in a shop by just sticking with 16/16's, injectors, exhaust and tune. Edit: also, IC's, DV's and upgraded boost hoses.

I made 500whp/525tq on that set up. Plenty for a tip. Spend the other money on PSS10's, links and sway bars (front and back).
If you are power hungry, you'll be ultimately disappointed in the tips weakness.

Originally Posted by perfuseme2
im having to use different screen name as my other wont let me reply. Yeh i have looked at all the tuner sites and have talked with mark some. he has been a wealth of knowledge! i have the old evoms intake. id like to stay away from the package deals. seems very expensive and im gonna try to piece most of my parts together used and save some cash. obviously il take the upgrade and tune package. i may just go with injectors VS the FPR. it almost seems like a toss up but in long run all seem happier with injectors.

Todd, seems like the tip would be stronger than the stock 6 speed. if i do 16G's can i/should i do IC's and FPR with exhaust. i just dont want to run a ton of boost and really stress the internals. i dont plan on maxing out the 24/18's. what sort of tranny issues did you have and what upgrades did you have to do. i can go to akram in houston. i dont mind throwing $2500 or so at the tranny. im just trying to put all my thoughts together before i really start doing mods.

Last edited by BlackHorseTurbo; 11-02-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
At that power level, I don't think you need to waste time($$$) on headers or hoses. I don't think you'd need to worry about the Tip, either. I was told that the Tip can handle 24/18Gs with supporting mods, and still be pretty solid. Anything past that and you may be waiting on a boom. I should add that Todd knows more about the Tip's capabilities than anyone I know.

Last edited by seth_horwitz; 11-02-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
I'm no longer "at vivid" Craig. I wouldn't get anything bigger than 16/16gs on a tip unless you want continuous problems from your tranny. Just now worth it, IMO.
I didn't know man, sorry. Anyway it doesn't change the fact you have a ton of hands on w/ HP & a Tip.

I hope all is well and you are doing great!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 AM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
No, the tip is much weaker than the stock 6 speed.

I'm trying to save you a ton of money and wasted down time in a shop by just sticking with 16/16's, injectors, exhaust and tune. Edit: also, IC's, DV's and upgraded boost hoses.

I made 500whp/525tq on that set up. Plenty for a tip. Spend the other money on PSS10's, links and sway bars (front and back).
If you are power hungry, you'll be ultimately disappointed in the tips weakness.
How is the tip much weaker than the STOCK 6speed? a Tip can easily handle a well modded 16G car while a fully stock 6-speed will not.

The tip can handle either a heavily modded 16G or a lightly modded 18G or if you upgrade the tip, it can handle just about anything. A big disadvantage of the tiptronic is there are no "partial" upgrades such as a new clutch or flywheel for a grand or two...its nothing or the whole package and its $6k.

Although I think we should be able to upgrade our clutch packs (having the parts machined to fit more) without upgrading the valve bodies (although I am sure anyone who upgrades the clutch packs wants the quicker shifts from the modified valve bodies) which could drive the price down.

Having done just what BHT is talking about, I would just do what he says...16G and call it a day.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
At that power level, I don't think you need to waste time($$$) on headers or hoses. I don't think you'd need to worry about the Tip, either. I was told that the Tip can handle 24/18Gs with supporting mods, and still be pretty solid. Anything past that and you may be waiting on a boom. I should add that Todd knows more about the Tip's capabilities than anyone I know.
Right Seth, what you a are "told" and what you "know from experience" are two different things. Rep for you.

Last edited by BlackHorseTurbo; 11-02-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Ben,

Tranny for tranny the 6 speed is stronger in the 996TT. Now, the clutch on the six speed is not strong enough to handle 550/550. Replacing the clutch is an easier, more accessible and less expensive and more proven option than anything you can do to a tip as of right now.

I loved my tip, but the more I threw at it, the more frustrating it got. I was not happy with dialing my boost back just so my tranny wouldn't blow again.

Originally Posted by bad107
How is the tip much weaker than the STOCK 6speed? a Tip can easily handle a well modded 16G car while a fully stock 6-speed will not.

The tip can handle either a heavily modded 16G or a lightly modded 18G or if you upgrade the tip, it can handle just about anything. A big disadvantage of the tiptronic is there are no "partial" upgrades such as a new clutch or flywheel for a grand or two...its nothing or the whole package and its $6k.

Although I think we should be able to upgrade our clutch packs (having the parts machined to fit more) without upgrading the valve bodies (although I am sure anyone who upgrades the clutch packs wants the quicker shifts from the modified valve bodies) which could drive the price down.

Having done just what BHT is talking about, I would just do what he says...16G and call it a day.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Todd you are a traitor! lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic limits