996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Where is Tom Kerr??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I don't have any problem with members complaining, especially if something constructive comes from it...it is usually the only way any positive changes come to fruition

Old 11-26-2010, 02:10 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Rather than constantly complaining about how bad things are here, you should probably spend your time over at Rennlist. Sounds like you'd be much happier over there.
I hope you're not serious Scott, so any dissenting opinion is not tolerated? HC is a long standing member, his posts interesting and well thought out, even though I may not always agree. There is a reason Rennlist is a higher quality board, and it's not the vendors.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
I hope you're not serious Scott, so any discerning opinion is not tolerated? HC is a long standing member, his posts interesting and well thought out, even though I may not always agree. There is a reason Rennlist is a higher quality board, and it's not the vendors.
+1000 ( because just +1 is not allowed here )

Old 11-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
I hope you're not serious Scott, so any dissenting opinion is not tolerated? HC is a long standing member, his posts interesting and well thought out, even though I may not always agree. There is a reason Rennlist is a higher quality board, and it's not the vendors.
I'm very serious. It has nothing to do with dissenting opinions, or what's tolerated and what isn't. I'm not speaking as a moderator, I'm speaking as a fellow member. If all he wants to do is whine about how bad it is here, maybe he shouldn't waste his time over here at all. His attitude got old a very long time ago.

As far as Rennlist being the superior board....I personally believe 6speed to be the higher quality board. But that's subjective.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 11-26-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:33 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
guys please don't fight!

I really made some friends here, I've learned a lot and I feel that here we are like a very big family, with problems, misunderstandings but in the and we are all good!

I LOVE 6SPEED!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:05 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Looking at Tom's absence and some of the comments I don't believe it is very hard to figure out.

Tom, Mike and others like him are very much into tracking their cars ......... not just going in a straight line. For many, a Porsche isn't a dragster ..... it is a track car. I happen to agree with this view.

The personality of those who track these cars is different. I find it to be much more serious and they tend to stay with their cars (using them and practicing their skills) over a lot longer period of time. They also seem to be a much more principled group. Many times you will find the cars that are built to go in a straight line sold or flipped soon after completion. This does not appear to be the case with the track group. They spend a lot of time seriously practicing their skills on the track.

I do not find many 6speed members seriously tracking their cars. Rennlist on the other hand has a pretty good track following. I believe this is what the 60-130 comment was directed at.

Then again, I may be wrong.

Last edited by cjv; 11-26-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Looking at Tom's absence and some of the comments I don't believe it is very hard to figure out.

Tom, Mike and others like him are very much into tracking their cars ......... not just going in a straight line. For many, a Porsche isn't a dragster ..... it is a track car. I happen to agree with this.
A Porsche is whatever the owner wants it to be; drag car, track car, 60-130 car, dyno queen, garage queen, whatever.

That said, there are probably more guys that road-race their cars on Rennlist, and more guys with bigger HP, straight-line cars over here. Neither is superior over the other. Just different.

I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to go on Rennlist and complain that their are too many Randy Pobst or Walter Rohrl wanna-be's over there, so it makes no sense for people to complain about the popularity of 60-130 and 1/4 mile times over here.

I think some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining. Which gets old.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 11-26-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I got a complaint: I still have an infraction from Chuck from March

How about showing me some holiday love and removing it, hmm?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:35 PM
CupsRule is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Just stopped by since someone sent me the link to this thread ... there are too many statements in this thread I agee with to "quote" ...

There are those similar reasons I have not participated hardly at all ... not to mention having what I thought was a useful and tasteful post pulled within 24 hours ... and someone else I know very well that I have never seen post on a forum or speak in public in any manner that was not appropriate and polite ... and he was banned from this place for life.

Like anything else in this country ... we still have our freedom ... and if we don't like something for what ever reason we have the right to move on ... kinda like ... if you don't like the channel your watching, change channels.

I've changed channels ... can find me posting regularly at RennTrack

Old 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by CupsRule
Like anything else in this country ... we still have our freedom ... and if we don't like something for what ever reason we have the right to move on ... kinda like ... if you don't like the channel your watching, change channels.
100% spot-on.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:47 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
A Porsche is whatever the owner wants it to be; drag car, track car, 60-130 car, dyno queen, garage queen, whatever.

That said, there are probably more guys that road-race their cars on Rennlist, and more guys with bigger HP, straight-line cars over here. Neither is superior over the other. Just different.

I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to go on Rennlist and complain that their are too many Randy Pobst or Walter Rohrl wanna-be's over there, so it makes no sense for people to complain about the popularity of 60-130 and 1/4 mile times over here.

I think some people just like to complain for sake of complaining. Which gets old.
Scott,

It has to do with mind set. Spend a few days on the track or at the track and it will become pretty self evident. The track guys spend hours, days, weeks practicing. These cars are designed to be track cars. Yes, people like to make them go fast in a straight line but most people know they are not the best platform for straight line racing.

People can do what they want with their cars. Who are we to judge, however my observation regarding the two two types of groups is still valid.

As I see it, those who track constantly perfect their skills, many times week in and week out. Weather doing something right or wrong it is there for all to see time and time again. Not too much really has to be said. How many times a year does someone practice 0-130 or 1/4 miles? Like I said earlier, the cars seem to be build, they get their best time and then the car is sold. You can't blame it on the cost of repairs as both are high. My point is not to criticize anyone but to demonstrate the two groups are very different.

I am not trying to insult any group. People are entitled to do what they like. I'm simply noting my own personal observations.

As for "complaining" I am not in a position to judge any specific complaint. If the complaint is based on ones belief that information is not true or the best information it may be a valid complaint. There is obviously a perception from some members that sponsors get preferred treatment. As a mod I have not found this to be true. What I have noted is sometimes word about a non sponsored product is stifled because it is not sponsored. This makes some people who are trying to explain what they tried or did mad because they believe good news is not allowed to be shared. This becomes a double edged sword because sponsors pay the operating costs and become upset when a non sponsored product gets any exposure. I can understand the feelings of both sides.

I do like Chuck's statement about listening. Hopefully, the members provide good honest feedback and 6speed becomes a better place for it.

Last edited by cjv; 11-26-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:55 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
heavychevy, tell me if I did not understand your point about off topic subject. You are against posting anything other than TT related? About half an hour ago I posted a video of "James May at 70,000 feet" from Top Gear and it was moved immediately to the Off topic section. 6speed is sooo big, I rarely go anywhere else than 996TT section. I feel more at home here. And sometimes having different subject, in the TT section, to read about is not so bad to a certain limits....
Some are not bad, but it had gotten to the point where every little detail about every other car was posted here, I will admit it's gotten better here recently. But there has to be limits. This is not like a home room, this section is for posts relating to the 996 TT.

I'm pretty sure Tom didn't have any problems with any Moderators, Admins, or anyone else on this forum. That was Mikelly.
I'm pretty sure you're wrong, Tom has voiced his displeasure with as much as gone wrong here as I have. IF you were paying attention to anything other than 60-130.

Rather than constantly complaining about how bad things are here, you should probably spend your time over at Rennlist. Sounds like you'd be much happier over there.
Since you're speaking as a fellow 6speed member, I thought we were past you trying to suggest things to me....... Please show me where my complaining is constant then we'll talk.

Go ahead, I'll wait.....

You are the one responsible for turning this into Supraforums, Drag Race, 60-130, standing mile of the world section. Probably one of the biggest complaints we've had here. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
Scott,

It has to do with mind set. Spend a few days on the track or at the track and it will become pretty self evident. The track guys spend hours, days, weeks practicing. These cars are designed to be track cars. Yes, people like to make them go fast in a straight line but most people know they are not the best platform for straight line racing.
I'm very familiar with the time, effort and money that's involved with road-racing a car. I have plenty of friends whose passion revolves around it. You might also be surprised to realize the time, effort and money involved with trying to break 1/4 mile records, or Texas Mile records.

I also don't believe the Turbo cars are designed to be track cars. They are designed to be all-arounders. The GT3's, however, are definitely designed to be track cars.

Some people take this stuff so seriously that they actually maintain an air of superiority regarding what they choose to do with their car. It's laughable.

In the big scheme of things, none of it really matters to the rest of the world. Running a fast time around VIR means nothing. Running a 9-second 1/4 mile time...nothing. A big dyno number, a fast 60-130 time...nothing.

None of it produces anything more than bragging rights and personal enjoyment for those directly involved in the effort. Hence my point that a Porsche is whatever the owner wants it to be. It's his car, his time, and his personal enjoyment. That's as far as it goes. Literally.

I'm not saying that complaining isn't allowed, it is and it should be. But you would think that after a while, the person complaining would simply put themselves in a position where they have less to complain about.

CupsRule said it perfectly; if you don't like what's on the the channel, rather than continue to watch it and complain about it, change it.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I love to track and I respect those who do so immensely. Probably takes more skill than anything else in motorsports. I still love to take my car through some big sweepers by my house and the time I spent on a road course has improved my driving a lot.

However, I disagree with the assessment that the 996TT is not a good platform for straight line racing. Maybe not for the 1/4 mile, but for roll ons, 60-130, 40-160 it is actually superior since the rear engine allows for much better traction than say a Vipe, Supra, or Corvette.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Some are not bad, but it had gotten to the point where every little detail about every other car was posted here, I will admit it's gotten better here recently. But there has to be limits. This is not like a home room, this section is for posts relating to the 996 TT.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong, Tom has voiced his displeasure with as much as gone wrong here as I have. IF you were paying attention to anything other than 60-130.
I quickly checked his past posts, and didn't see anything glaring me in the face. But yes, you're definitely correct that I care more about a fast 60-130 time than the completely inconsequential time that you ran around Road Atlanta last Sunday. Regardless, as far as I'm aware, Tom has never had any problems with any of the staff here. He was well liked by all of us.

Since you're speaking as a fellow 6speed member, I thought we were past you trying to suggest things to me....... Please show me where my complaining is constant then we'll talk.

Go ahead, I'll wait.....
I'm not 'suggesting' anything you. You've already complained about 60-130s twice in this thread alone.

You are the one responsible for turning this into Supraforums, Drag Race, 60-130, standing mile of the world section. Probably one of the biggest complaints we've had here. Thanks.
I'm the one person directly responsible for getting hundreds of people on this forum interested in modifying their cars and competing in 1/4 mile events, TX mile and 60-130 events?? I must admit that's a HUGE compliment, Dez. So if you believe me to be directly responsible, thank you for pointing it out. Interestingly, this also happens to be the most popular section of the entire forum. I wonder why that is?

Anyway, if you are so unhappy here....no one is forcing you to stay.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 11-26-2010 at 04:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where is Tom Kerr??