996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intercooler Cores

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Very nice thread...
I would like to add some comments though...After my research on my 997TT (logged IATs for 4 different sets of ICs)I found that FIRST you need to determine you hp goal and THEN to buy ICs...some ICs are designed for thermal efficiency while others are designed for maximum flow...Small turbos need good thermal efficiency while big turbos need great flow...

Old 12-15-2010, 03:49 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
Here are the cores that we are using on my 997.1TT. We have been testing this intercooler core for the past 1.5 years and it is BY FAR the most efficient core we have found. I have tested dozens of different cores from "aerospace" companies, Garrett and many others. Most of the efficiency was directly related to the design of the intercooler core and NOT the size of it. I will post the specific details about the design of these cores and what we found in terms of efficiency later. FWIW, these are 4.5" thick and support a REAL 1300+ Wheel HP
I am guessing this is Todd. Thanks for the information. What do your end tanks look like?

Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Very nice thread...
I would like to add some comments though...After my research on my 997TT (logged IATs for 4 different sets of ICs)I found that FIRST you need to determine you hp goal and THEN to buy ICs...some ICs are designed for thermal efficiency while others are designed for maximum flow...Small turbos need good thermal efficiency while big turbos need great flow...
I am looking for cores that offer the best of both as the car we have built has the quickness (outrageous response throughout the entire rpm range) of small turbo's and yet the ability to run with any big dog out there.

I understand this is a tall order, however, like everything else we have addressed I believe it is possible.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 PM
cjv
If we can get our hands on say six different intercoolers to run on our engine while on the engine dyno and post our results which six IC's would members like to see included?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:19 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
If we can get our hands on say six different intercoolers to run on our engine while on the engine dyno and post our results which six IC's would members like to see included?
i would like to see,
those new ones from evoms,
the cores that proto use,
secans,
marston mentioned earlier,
bell core or garret

Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Ist not going to be that easy to fit correctly let alone test 6 different ICs... if one uses stock upper and lower ducks like on the 3.5" direct replacements then it would be easy.. However, the really big ICs like the 4.5s and up usually do not use the upper duck and it relies on a sealed tight area just for that one reason. Such kits usually run the air filter on to of the ICs as well... too big of a filter blocks air to the core... holes not sealed up around the IC reduces the efficiency dramatically as well..... these big ICs have to be in a seal tight cavity for them to work... Just to put the 6" ICs like the ones I made you have to cut and weld on the car the brackets to custom fit them... then make the accompanied side panels that block the air on the car as well... you have to cut a few other things.... and the pics below do not even show that yet. you skip the side panels and your done... its really not that simple as sending ICs... putting them on.... and testing.... the 4.5s are a little easier but still require considerable work... then the ends piping comes out in different angles and position... how are you guys going to make each one fit your application,....
Cutting and welding of piping will only cause aluminum shavings to fall into the core... on and on.,. I know I do this regularly.... myself... thus when we make a custom IC we weld the end tank just so it stays in place... then do the fitting.... and the 2.5" piping to where it should be and tack it in place.. then take off the IC... cut the end tank off... weld the piping all the way.... port from the inside... then weld the end tank back on to the core... if you start cutting the piping because you have to make it fit your only getting yourself in a mess.... stuff will end up in your intake/TB.... don't ask how I know.. happened to me when someone did the exact same thing.
sorry for ranting... but simply not that easy and will requires a lot time and skilled labor... and doing 6 different ones is a serious 6 month project...
here are some pics of what I mean... Its my own car.... 6" Bell cores on this one... getting ready for dyno day so we will see.. 4.5's Bell were on prior....
Your better off narrowing down to what you want for a core and just do it... trust me... this takes a lot of time... I have no idea how you would create that same cavity on a engine dyno to simulate the negative pressure drop when they are used the way We use them( without the upper plastic)....

markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 12-16-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Mark,

cvj stated that all of this testing will be done on a engine dyno. Not in the car. Your post has no merit in this case. Cvj also states that he will test any intercooler on his dime and if one of those turns out to be whats needed he will even pay you for them. I do not sell parts so I feel there is nothing I can add to this thread or debate. cvj is going to get some answers that will bring all big hp cars on this forum up a notch.. I also feel the intercooler is one of the major items that is holding back our motors. The venders should get on this but I feel that they will not be cause all the testing will not be under their control.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Looking forward to your test results cjv.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Mark,

cvj stated that all of this testing will be done on a engine dyno. Not in the car. Your post has no merit in this case. Cvj also states that he will test any intercooler on his dime and if one of those turns out to be whats needed he will even pay you for them. I do not sell parts so I feel there is nothing I can add to this thread or debate. cvj is going to get some answers that will bring all big hp cars on this forum up a notch.. I also feel the intercooler is one of the major items that is holding back our motors. The venders should get on this but I feel that they will not be cause all the testing will not be under their control.
The IC's from Mark, Proto, and Switzer all have proven performance gains in the real world.

I love to run cars for multiple pulls in heat and humidity because I know that I won't heat soak.

When my IATs don't budge above 114 in 95 degree heat w/ high humidity what improvment can be made?.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Secans,
TPC
switzer
garret
evoms
marston
Bell

Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
I would also like to see the GT2RS intercoolers compared to all of the aftermarket setups. If you dont get any of the Bell cores I would be willing to send mine down for testing as well.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Mark,

I dont sell my 6" ICs to the public either... Im not trying to push anything.... but I will have back to back dynos as I had 4.5s Bell cores before. I don't have any " proprietary " secrets on my ICs... They are Bell cores 6"x8.75"x12"... anyone can get them...
The original post was "which intercooler cores?" not which ICs are the best for 1300rwhp lets say.... why dont they buy bell, garrett, Secan, etc etc cores, make similar end tanks and piping and test it that way? keep everything under control...
I have no gain but $1500 my cost on ICs I do not sell... nor do I suggest our 4.5s for 1300rwhp...
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
The IC's from Mark, Proto, and Switzer all have proven performance gains in the real world.

I love to run cars for multiple pulls in heat and humidity because I know that I won't heat soak.

When my IATs don't budge above 114 in 95 degree heat w/ high humidity what improvment can be made?.
CFM needed for more hp.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I dont sell my 6" ICs to the public either... Im not trying to push anything.... but I will have back to back dynos as I had 4.5s Bell cores before. I don't have any " proprietary " secrets on my ICs... They are Bell cores 6"x8.75"x12"... anyone can get them...
The original post was "which intercooler cores?" not which ICs are the best for 1300rwhp lets say.... why dont they buy bell, garrett, Secan, etc etc cores, make similar end tanks and piping and test it that way? keep everything under control...
I have no gain but $1500 my cost on ICs I do not sell... nor do I suggest our 4.5s for 1300rwhp...
mark
So you agree!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
I am guessing this is Todd. Thanks for the information. What do your end tanks look like?
Chad, sorry I could not take your call yesterday. I will try you tomorrow. Here is a photo of our direct replacement intercoolers with end tanks. The end tanks that we use on the cores that I posted photos of (currently running on my 4.0L) are a modified version of these end tanks. Talk to you soon. Todd

Attached Images  
F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Cores