996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Your thoughts on driver side race seat w/stock pass. seat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:17 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Your thoughts on driver side race seat w/stock pass. seat?

Hoping to get some action in general forum since traffic in track/autocross forum seems to be weak...

For those of you that track your car regularly but still drive it on the street, what are your thoughts about having only the driver's seat a true racing seat w/harness while leaving the passenger seat stock?

Considerations:
- I didn't like the feel of the stock seat/restraint at the track and as I transition to a stickier tire, I'd like to be as planted in the seat as possible.
- My street/track mileage will likely be 95% Street/ 5% Track (2-3 events / year), so I'd like to keep the passenger comfort as reasonable as possible.
- I recall reading something about "equal" restraint systems at DEs for driver/passenger so not sure if driver's side race seat/harness vs. stock passenger seat/seatbelt is an issue.
- I have a TQ full rollbar in the car.

Questions:
1) Do DE rules allow for a driver side racing seat & harness w/stock passenger seat/restraint?

2) What are your personal thoughts on this? Not fair to the passenger at the track? Looks weird?

Thanks, TK

Old 12-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
some events will require you to have equal seat/belts protection for the passenger or they will not permit you to carry one...most instructors will insist on having the same protection...any racing club will require you to have the same setup or will not permit any passengers...anyway...you need to think about your protection first and just don't carry any passengers...besides a good seat will help you to be a better driver

Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 PM
griggsat will become famous soon enough
I only have experience with PCA DE's, but they require equal safety/restraints for driver and passenger. I went down this road and bought the two seats, two harnesses, etc.

As for having a race seat and harness, you will love them. Being held tight makes a huge difference.

Ashley

Old 12-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
If you track the car put in the full race seat and take out the passenger seat for events. On the street the mismatched seats look funky.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Get a set of Porsche GT3 seats. Great compromise and they look great as a set!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 12-18-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Get a set of Porsche GT3 seats. Great compromise and they look great as a set!

The best option for Race seat / Street Setup..

Mike

Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
If you track the car put in the full race seat and take out the passenger seat for events. On the street the mismatched seats look funky.

^^This^^

But only if you are solo, obviously if you still require an instructor you will have to have both for most all DE groups. There may be a few low budget ones that allow it, but there aren't many.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome, very helpful!

I have always been a huge fan of GT3 seats, but really like some of the Sparcos & Recaros that have side helmet support... Considering my street mileage, GT3 seems to be the clear choice.

How do you guys feel about ROTec CF replicas - I would have bought some a long time ago, but I can't help the uneasy feeling about those seats not beeing OEM / impact tested?

Would you trust them in a track crash?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Dr Kans is on a distinguished road
I have the recaros that resemble GT3 seats and they are very comfortable for daily driving and have great support when pushing it ! Plus they are a lot lighter.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tvr-4
Awesome, very helpful!

I have always been a huge fan of GT3 seats, but really like some of the Sparcos & Recaros that have side helmet support... Considering my street mileage, GT3 seems to be the clear choice.

How do you guys feel about ROTec CF replicas - I would have bought some a long time ago, but I can't help the uneasy feeling about those seats not beeing OEM / impact tested?

Would you trust them in a track crash?
Not sure about that side helmet support on the street. Would it restrict your vision?

I have the GT3 seats, and like them very much. You should definitely install seat back supports to the roll bar. It's dangerous to not have them in the event of rear impact, as your spine can hit the bar.

The install is pretty easy. I have a web page with pics when you get around to doing it.

Jon

Old 12-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Not sure about that side helmet support on the street. Would it restrict your vision?

I have the GT3 seats, and like them very much. You should definitely install seat back supports to the roll bar. It's dangerous to not have them in the event of rear impact, as your spine can hit the bar.

The install is pretty easy. I have a web page with pics when you get around to doing it.

Jon
Jon,

I really liked the way your seats felt at Putnam, and as far as the side helmet support on Recs/Sparcos, they do restrict vision - the main reason I'm leaning toward a GT3 seat.

Would you trust GT3 CF replicas w/seat back support?

If you have the information on the back supports/install, would be great if you can post/send.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:33 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Hi, Tvrtko,

I have no experience with the GT3 replica seats, so I can't comment. However, any plastic-back shell seat should be supported by a brace.

Here's a link to the GT3 seat install page:
http://quattro.me.uiuc.edu/~jon/Pors...Seats+Rollbar/
I did the braces later, so they're not shown. Basically, you just drill through the bar and bolt them in place. You lie on your back on the floor, drill up and enjoy the hot chips falling in your face. I got the braces from Brey-Krause:
http://www.lpiracing.com/Brey-Krause...332p122183.htm

Jon

Old 12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Hi, Tvrtko,

I have no experience with the GT3 replica seats, so I can't comment. However, any plastic-back shell seat should be supported by a brace.

Here's a link to the GT3 seat install page:
http://quattro.me.uiuc.edu/~jon/Pors...Seats+Rollbar/
I did the braces later, so they're not shown. Basically, you just drill through the bar and bolt them in place. You lie on your back on the floor, drill up and enjoy the hot chips falling in your face. I got the braces from Brey-Krause:
http://www.lpiracing.com/Brey-Krause...332p122183.htm

Jon
Jon,

That's very helpful, safety should always be #1 and looks like you made all of the right choices with your car. If I end up with a GT3 seat, I'll definitelly invest in the back support.

If anyone has any tracking experience or an opinion about GT3 CF knock-offs, please speak up!

Thanks again, TK

Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I think Recaro has some nice options as well for race seat for the driver. As an instructor with PCA and many other groups, it's ussually safer and most of our groups require to have same seats with same restraints, however if the driver has a full on race seat and I have a seat that has good bolstering (like say a Recaro Speed) & passable restraint for a 5 or 6 pt harness then I am ok with that, it does not have to be the EXACT same seat, but each instructor is different.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tvr-4
Hoping to get some action in general forum since traffic in track/autocross forum seems to be weak...

For those of you that track your car regularly but still drive it on the street, what are your thoughts about having only the driver's seat a true racing seat w/harness while leaving the passenger seat stock?

Considerations:
- I didn't like the feel of the stock seat/restraint at the track and as I transition to a stickier tire, I'd like to be as planted in the seat as possible.
- My street/track mileage will likely be 95% Street/ 5% Track (2-3 events / year), so I'd like to keep the passenger comfort as reasonable as possible.
- I recall reading something about "equal" restraint systems at DEs for driver/passenger so not sure if driver's side race seat/harness vs. stock passenger seat/seatbelt is an issue.
- I have a TQ full rollbar in the car.

Questions:
1) Do DE rules allow for a driver side racing seat & harness w/stock passenger seat/restraint?

2) What are your personal thoughts on this? Not fair to the passenger at the track? Looks weird?

Thanks, TK
1) look like a tool
2) most PCA clubs must have equal seating/restraints on both sides
3) look like a tool

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on driver side race seat w/stock pass. seat?