996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hitting a Boost Wall?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Datalog

Old 12-31-2010, 01:03 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
how would you do this? what equipment would you use and how would you set it /configure it?

There are many ways and different types of eqipment for DAQ, most of what I have seen has been on race cars, I am not sure of what is used on street cars per se.
Most folks use Durametric. It's easy to use. For an informative thread on this topic click here.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:17 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
This is kind of obvious, but your clutch isn't slipping, is it?

I've had this happen on my previous TT AWD car, where I would slip the clutch launching the car and by the time I got to third, the heated clutch would start slipping, but once I shifted again and "gave a mini-break to the clutch", it would be fine again in 4th. Because the engine load decreased with the clutch slipping, the car was reading lower boost when the clutch started slipping.

Other than that, I agree with what TTDude said and BTW, 1.4bar on 91 does not sound safe regardless - you CAN run this boost, but you may be detonating at times without knowing it unless you are datalogging/monitoring knock/timing/AFR and know you are ok.

Good luck, TK

Last edited by tvr-4; 12-31-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-31-2010, 11:34 AM
uurfantasy has a spectacular aura aboutuurfantasy has a spectacular aura aboutuurfantasy has a spectacular aura about
I JUST installed a stage3 clutchmasters cluth and I know for a fact my clutch isn't slipping because I know what that was like since I was experiencing it just a couple weeks back.
I am pretty sure its because I am running 91, I am going to be adding 100 octane to my gas tank from now on to create a higher octane mixture.

Originally Posted by tvr-4
This is kind of obvious, but your clutch isn't slipping, is it?

I've had this happen on my previous TT AWD car, where I would slip the clutch launching the car and by the time I got to third, the heated clutch would start slipping, but once I shifted again and "gave a mini-break to the clutch", it would be fine again in 4th. Because the engine load decreased with the clutch slipping, the car was reading lower boost when the clutch started slipping.

Other than that, I agree with what TTDude said and BTW, 1.4bar on 91 does not sound safe regardless - you CAN run this boost, but you may be detonating at times without knowing it unless you are datalogging/monitoring knock/timing/AFR and know you are ok.

Good luck, TK

Old 01-01-2011, 12:29 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by uurfantasy
I JUST installed a stage3 clutchmasters cluth and I know for a fact my clutch isn't slipping because I know what that was like since I was experiencing it just a couple weeks back.
I am pretty sure its because I am running 91, I am going to be adding 100 octane to my gas tank from now on to create a higher octane mixture.
Cool, hope that solves it, good luck!

As far as the clutch, the fact that it's new means nothing - it could have been improperly adjusted or not be broken in yet and could easily slip under high torque. However, since you just had a slipping clutch, sounds like you know the feel of it so ruling this out makes sense.