996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oil leak/drip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:03 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Oil leak/drip

Happy new years guys. To start off 2011, I was given the gift of a pcar problem, yee haw.

I was in the process of swapping exhaust systems and noticed some oily buildup on the underside of my engine. I decided to hold off on swapping out the exhausts until I get this problem properly diagnosed and resolved if needed. I would like to get the opinion of those who know about these things.

Car has been running fine/normal and the leaking oil is the only sign I have of any sort of issues. I have attached some shots to help explain what I saw. Pictures 1 and 2 are wider angle shots to show the areas that is affected. Picture 3 is the area where the oil buildup is occurring. It is also the highest point that I can see from under the car so I am not sure how much further up the leak is coming from. Finally pic 4 is the same spot as pic 3, cleaned up and taken after letting the car idle and warm up to operating temperature. As you can see at the top middle of pic 4, there is a drop forming, and towards the bottom end of that cylindrical part where the drop is, there is a shiny haze sliding down, but not quite a drip yet. I will be checking it once a day to see how the buildup continues until I can get it into my guy. Until then, I am left with your opionions, which I would greatly appreciate: )

Any thoughts? First potential BIG problem I've had, so I am as you can imagine a bit nervous about this one. Thanks guys!

Justin

...err I need to learn to properly link images. Here are the URLs:

1. http://picasaweb.google.com/justinkw...56058717179618
2. http://picasaweb.google.com/justinkw...56063740739602
3. http://picasaweb.google.com/justinkw...56070047495986
4. http://picasaweb.google.com/justinkw...56074328120658

Old 01-01-2011, 05:03 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Make sure its engine oil and not pentosin leaking out from the PS reservoir which sits above that area. If the power steering reservoir is leaking, pentosin will flow down over the chain housing and collect around the rubber O-ring seal on the coolant manifold. This will cause the seal to swell. Even though pentosin S11 oil is a greenish color, normally by the time it collects on the bottom of the engine it is brownish from all the dirt it has picked up. I believe there are also some of the engine oil scavenge pumps above that area. Good luck and keep us posted.

Originally Posted by kwei
Happy new years guys. To start off 2011, I was given the gift of a pcar problem, yee haw.

I was in the process of swapping exhaust systems and noticed some oily buildup on the underside of my engine. I decided to hold off on swapping out the exhausts until I get this problem properly diagnosed and resolved if needed. I would like to get the opinion of those who know about these things.

Car has been running fine/normal and the leaking oil is the only sign I have of any sort of issues. I have attached some shots to help explain what I saw. Pictures 1 and 2 are wider angle shots to show the areas that is affected. Picture 3 is the area where the oil buildup is occurring. It is also the highest point that I can see from under the car so I am not sure how much further up the leak is coming from. Finally pic 4 is the same spot as pic 3, cleaned up and taken after letting the car idle and warm up to operating temperature. As you can see at the top middle of pic 4, there is a drop forming, and towards the bottom end of that cylindrical part where the drop is, there is a shiny haze sliding down, but not quite a drip yet. I will be checking it once a day to see how the buildup continues until I can get it into my guy. Until then, I am left with your opionions, which I would greatly appreciate: )

Any thoughts? First potential BIG problem I've had, so I am as you can imagine a bit nervous about this one. Thanks guys!

Justin

...err I need to learn to properly link images. Here are the URLs:

1. http://picasaweb.google.com/justinkw...56058717179618
2. http://picasaweb.google.com/justinkw...56063740739602
3. http://picasaweb.google.com/justinkw...56070047495986
4. http://picasaweb.google.com/justinkw...56074328120658

Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Thanks John, thats good info. I just did another visual and the fluid does in fact have quite a bit of contaminant in it, so hard to tell by color. It does not smell like oil though. Will definitely be keeping an eye and updating as things progress.

Justin

Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Try to find a drop or let the fluid drip onto a white paper towel and you should be able to get a better idea of the color. If it's fairly clear or has a slight greenish tint than it's probable pentosin. Pentosin will not smell like motor oil but is oily to the touch. I would check around the area of the PS reservoir on the passanger side of the engine where the filler cap is and where the rubber return hose and the metal lines attach or just bellow where the PS pump resides. Good luck.

Thanks John, thats good info. I just did another visual and the fluid does in fact have quite a bit of contaminant in it, so hard to tell by color. It does not smell like oil though. Will definitely be keeping an eye and updating as things progress.

Justin

Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I'd spray brake cleaner up there and get it clean to get a better visual of both the liquid and the possible the source.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deckman
I'd spray brake cleaner up there and get it clean to get a better visual of both the liquid and the possible the source.
+1
I would clean up the whole area as best as you can then drive the car and check the leak again. You should be able to deturmine the colour a little better.

The Turbo return scavenge pump sits in that area, in the same housing as the water pump. There is a shaft drive from the crank to the pump which is sealed by an O ring. Its not an easy job to change the seal but it can still be done DIY. Can be like opening a can of worms though.
Frank

Old 01-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Is it safe to spray Brake cleaner on the rubber and plastic parts in the engine bay? Reading the label of the brake cleaner I have, it warns against not getting it on those types of materials as it can damage them. I am assuming bake cleaner is brake cleaner and they are all the same. If there is a safe version, I'll go out and get the type that will not cause unnecessary damage. Thanks guys!

BTW Frank, glad to see you still have your pcar: )

Justin

Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
kwei,

Brake cleaner will work, just don't let it sit there. You can also use simple green, and clean up the whole underneath if you'd like.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by vntperformance
kwei,

Brake cleaner will work, just don't let it sit there. You can also use simple green, and clean up the whole underneath if you'd like.
Understood, thanks vnt!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Is it safe to spray Brake cleaner on the rubber and plastic parts in the engine bay? Reading the label of the brake cleaner I have, it warns against not getting it on those types of materials as it can damage them. I am assuming bake cleaner is brake cleaner and they are all the same. If there is a safe version, I'll go out and get the type that will not cause unnecessary damage. Thanks guys!

BTW Frank, glad to see you still have your pcar: )

Justin

Thanks mate, TBH its the P comunity that makes a difference. If I feel down about my car I come on the forum and have a chat .....always helps.
Frank

Old 01-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Alright so just an update for those of you who have been helping me with this, I had the car looked at and it appears I am in the clear as far as it being an oil leak. Jonselli was correct, it was pentosin. Leak was coming from the power steering pump above. I am in the process of having it replaced. Thanks very much for the feedback guys, I'll keep you posted once I have the car back to 100%!

Old 01-15-2011, 02:04 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
That's way better than an oil leak!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 AM
X98boardwell is on a distinguished road
Question, where was the pump leaking from? Was it where the plate attaches to the back of the pump itself? Thx, bryan