996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear View Mirror extremely loose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 AM
marksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud of
Rear View Mirror extremely loose

Is there a way to tighten the rear view mirror. Mine is extremely loose (basically useless) at the ball joint that attaches the mirror to the mounting post (2002 turbo). I am hoping there is a way to fix it......

If it can not be fixed is there a better mirror that can be installed - maybe one with homelink?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Get a copy of the service manual online. The link is posted in the stickies.

The section you want is "68 27 19 Removing and installing the interior rearview mirror". Whether there's a way to tighten up that pivot point is TBD.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I'd like to know if this is possible as well. Hope someone else chimes in.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Aside from jammin material in the socket there must be a way without having to buy another mirror and it happening again. 997 mirror?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
marksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud ofmarksf123 has much to be proud of
I was quoted $460 for a new mirror - Porsche says need to replace the whole thing. That sounds rediculous as it works great but just loose. I probably will take it all apart before I commit to a new one...... I will also try the toothpick method. Unfortently I dont feel too safe going 115 with one hand on the wheel and one holding the mirror so I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new one if all else fails.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Mine was loose when I purchased the car. I took it back to the dealer and they said they just took a pliers and basically crushed the socket to tighten it. It has been good for two years now.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Depends on how often, if any, you need to adjust the mirror.

For my motorcycle mirrors, that were constantly getting moved and needing readjustment, I applied 5-minute epoxy to the joint, made sure I had it adjusted where I wanted, now they're set.

I tried versions of gasket and silicone sealants but they didn't have sufficient resistance to movement.

Blue Locktite produces a somewhat temporary bond that slowed down movement but didn't resist vibration well. Super Glue, even the gap sealer thick version, didn't work at all.

Hope this is more helpful.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM
mdbreaux is on a distinguished road
I have a fix. I tried multiple things on my wife's 06 Carrera 4 and finally got it! Please pass it along becuase it is very easy and makes the mirror tight again. It can be moved around as new and stays very nice and tight. Get a bicycle tire inner tube. I had one lying around already cut up that I used for various things. You can buy one at Walmart for cheap. Cut a small strip about 3/16 to 1/4" wide and about 3/4 to 1" long. remove the plastic cover from the bottom of the morror with a wide flat blade screw driver. Gently pry it apart from the opening on the botom. Grab the rear view mirror and the base it is atached to and hold the base real tight so it does not come of the windshield and move the mirror all the way to one side and pry it off with your hand while holding the base real tight against the windshield. Take the strip of rubber and place it agains the ball joint on the mirror vertically so that some of it protrudes from the bottom of the ball joint out the bottom, but most of it is inside the ball joint. Push the mirror back in the socket and move the mirror around to ensure the rubber stays firmly in place. Snap the pastic pieces back together and be careful that the small sensor stays in position. Done. I tried various things before finally trying this. It works well. Any questins, send me a message. Michael

Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 AM
mdbreaux is on a distinguished road
Just to check in and say the strip of rubber from the bike tire tube as stated above it still working beautifully. The Carrera 4 is my wife's car and I frequently drive it so we change the mirror back and forth. It is still tight and works well after a month.