996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY - Replace Coolant Reservoir

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Lowering is not necessary. Removal was tight, but as long as you remove everything indicated above there is enough room to get the tank out. Don't rush it - if it doesn't fit, try a different angle.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM
evil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud of
I somewhat followed this DYI. The only difference is I lowered the motor by putting a jack under the motor, removing the two nuts on the engine mounts and lowering the jack/engine about 2". This made a HUGE difference and I did the same job in 2-3hrs. I also changed the intake manifold gasket, Oil pressure sensor and fuel filter at the same time. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tt-engine.html

That being said, it is/was a good time to update the diverters too!

Last edited by evil 996tt; 07-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:36 AM
jasonradner is on a distinguished road
Just Started a drip

Ok guys....I'll DIY it. Can I really do this without draining system? Also if I do drain how much coolant is needed to refill? Is this like everything else a hard fluid to find on a sunday? Help@@

Old 08-10-2012, 08:09 AM
evil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud ofevil 996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jasonradner
Ok guys....I'll DIY it. Can I really do this without draining system? Also if I do drain how much coolant is needed to refill? Is this like everything else a hard fluid to find on a sunday? Help@@
Jason, i lost almost no coolant. The bottom hose is the last thing you take off so, you tilt the tank up and high before removal. Once I removed the tank, i kept it on its side and the cap on. It doesn't drain(much) because of the internal baffles. I poured it into another container and reused all of the fluid.

As far as how much to add, mine was at the low mark on the tank when i did it so, used about 1 quart.

Regarding where to buy coolant, i bought mine at the dealer so, i don't know.. $30+/- a gallon

Last edited by evil 996tt; 08-10-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 AM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
Just for reference, you can use Permatex anaerobic flange sealant on the sealing surface of the "intake distributor" in place of the factory gasket if it's damaged or just can't get it back in there. 1/16" bead around the middle of the flange. It will never leak. Same high temp/high torque sealant I use to seal case halves and gearboxes and never have had it fail. Just clean the surfaces with alcohol or similar degreaser first. (Do not use RTV)

Great writeup sir!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 AM
bobs02 has a spectacular aura aboutbobs02 has a spectacular aura about
I'm using the DIY instructions posted by Slider and am stuck on the final step--pulling the coolant reservoir out of the bracket. It comes out about 1/2" and no further (pics shows where I'm at now). Any suggestions to get it all the way out?

TIA,

Bob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant reservoir.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	397770  
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
The quickest (and easiest) way to make more room is to drop the engine an inch or so. I didn't do that when I took mine out but it was a very tight squeeze to get it through. All you have to do is jack up the car and put it on jack stands, then put a jack under the motor and jack up until you see the there is no weight on the engine mount bolts. Unscrew them one at a time until they come off, then put them back on and thread about 3/4 inches. Then slowly lower the jack until you have the clearance you need. It sounds like a lot of work, but it will only take 10 minutes or so.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Agree with Slider. It is so simple….The socket needed to remove the two rear mount nuts is a deep socket 18mm and the torque for these two nuts on reinstallation is 63 ftlb….

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 10.01.58.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	397772  
Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 PM
I agree too. I had it dropped (going to install semi solid mounts after the new tank is installed) but the problem is that the tank seems to be caught on something. It slides out of the bracket about 1/2" and then won't move any further. All of the hoses are removed, along with the connector to the coolant level sensor at the bottom of the tank, engine is lowered and the tank is empty but still can't get the tank out past a 1/2 ". Pic above shows as far as I've gotten it.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 PM
You are probably right - it's caught on something... Wiggle, squeeze, push, pull until it's not caught - there is no more magic once you have removed everything in the DIY. See if you can get a dental mirror in there to look at it from all angles - it does come out!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:29 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bobs02
I agree too. I had it dropped (going to install semi solid mounts after the new tank is installed) but the problem is that the tank seems to be caught on something. It slides out of the bracket about 1/2" and then won't move any further. All of the hoses are removed, along with the connector to the coolant level sensor at the bottom of the tank, engine is lowered and the tank is empty but still can't get the tank out past a 1/2 ". Pic above shows as far as I've gotten it.
Your saying, it slide out of the bracket 1/2 inch….Isn't it a bit more needed to clear the bracket? You have to slide sideways and after down...Here a picture old the broken bracket on my car and a tank attachment….

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 09.23.07.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	397877   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	397878  
Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Excellent picture. Yes, you can see from the bracket that a movement of about 1/2 inch will allow the tank to be dropped right off the bracket. If you go too far, it will anchor itself again. You need to slide while pulling down so it drops out as soon as it clears the first set of anchors.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Age not miles

Originally Posted by landjet
Wow, that old one was really yellow. How many miles on your car? Mine is still white but I did have to replace the cap with the newer part.
Its the age, not the miles. Great job on this DIY !! Mine blew at an inopportune time and left me stranded in nice clothes.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. In the end dropping the engine a few inches did the trick--the reservoir came right out. And since the engine was already down it made replacing the engine mounts easy.

The reservoir, cap, coolant level sensor and coolant cost ~$215 at Sunset; local dealership wanted almost $1200 just for the reservoir replacement.

Thanks again for the help!

Old 08-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Great job! Rep+ for your perseverance!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY - Replace Coolant Reservoir