996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSM help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 PM
LO_996tt will become famous soon enough
PSM help!!

Put new rear tires on 2 weeks ago and PSM engaging at frequent and unpredictable times. Can't drive aggressively---Spooky--any thoughts?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Front tires are worn out of spec compared to new rears. PSM can't compensate. I think you need new fronts as well bit I'm not a 996 guy so perhaps others may have a different diagnosis. Best,

Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
I thought this might be an issue--but my fronts are barely worn with less that 2000 miles and had no issues before now. Now car feels unstable in tight corners when PSM engages.

F: 235/35/19
R: 315/25/19

Old 01-14-2011, 07:19 PM
TweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to behold
Are they same brand FR/BK?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Yes nitto innvo

Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Alignment within spec?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I removed 1" spacers from rear when we put the new tires on... could that affect alignment or PSM? I had too much fender rub --cut my old tires

Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LO_996tt
I thought this might be an issue--but my fronts are barely worn with less that 2000 miles and had no issues before now. Now car feels unstable in tight corners when PSM engages.

F: 235/35/19
R: 315/25/19
Aren't those the wrong sizes for a 996TT? Bit of a mis-match in tire diameters...maybe the newer batch of rears makes it worse? dunno

Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by ard
Aren't those the wrong sizes for a 996TT? Bit of a mis-match in tire diameters...maybe the newer batch of rears makes it worse? dunno
OP. do a search. There are a bunch of threads for compatible tire sizes with awd systems. I think the 996 is particularly sensitive with its viscous couplings. I don't know enough to have an opinion on what the removal of a spacer might do. I suppose it could change relative tire rotation in corners one side to the other and perhaps that has something to do with your issues. But that really is a WAG on my part.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Good advise-- The consensus at 6speed and at rennlist was this size combo for 19's. I had a new set of the same nitto's w/ these sizes for 10K+ miles with no PSM problems.

I did research on the tire size thoroughly before I purchased the first time around. Many nights reading long threads about front diff issues due to tire size mismatch. I love the search here.

The fronts were replaced about 6 months ago under warranty for a sidewall bulge. The rears I just replaced are same size as before.

I am going to check tire PSI --I imagine that with slightly worn fronts and excessive PSI on the rear they could be out as much as .5". Could this psych the PSM?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 PM
It would be easy enough to reinstall the spacers and rule that out as the source of the problem if that's all that changed in the replacement process.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
It would be easy enough to reinstall the spacers and rule that out as the source of the problem if that's all that changed in the replacement process.
And if that doesn't work, then I think you need new fronts regardless of mileage.

And if that doesn't work, then you should pay someone who really isn't making this up as he goes along. Good luck and best regards,

Old 01-15-2011, 12:01 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Ususally tire shops put a good 45-50psi to make them "set". If you don't deflate to something more normal sub 40 they can become pretty slippery, especially before they have been scrubbed in.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Now that I have had a chance to review what is going on and get feedback, I think that the rear tires are just not "scrubbed".

They must be letting loose because they are too new thus triggering the PSM. I have mostly been out in the cold and rain since the new tires. They probably just need some wear.

I will check back if they problem continues--thanks for your help everyone.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
As Mr White suggests, check the tire pressure. Also, the Nitto Invo is a directional tire. Make sure that the shop didn't accidentally swap the left and right. There should be a "Rotation" arrow on the sidewall of the tire.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSM help!!