996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Broken timing chain...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atisvt99
Thanks for the condolences... I've always been an avid believer in 'if it's meant to be, it will...' so this whole ordeal was obviously in my cards. Might as well play with the cards I'm dealt...

So, you're the 2nd person to suggest I remove the secondary air pump... I don't know much about this process. It is obviously a performance based mod (or delete), but my concern would be emissions... will I have a problem passing them after the fact?

I think the Air pump removal is more for long term reliability than any performance gains as far as I can see and TBH I'm not that well informed about the removal my self. I just know its a good idea too as it removes a lot of the vac valves and pipes and places for air leaks to start. As to emissions as far as I know the AAP is there to speed up the Cat process by producing a quick heat up of the Cat from cold. It means the cat starts to work quicker. I believe once the Cat has warmed up there are no issues with emissions and the AAP doesn't even run on a warm engine. I am a bit like you on this, I just cant put my hand on my heart and say its a fact fact . Still I do believe in not burning ones bridges so if it does become a problem the AAP will have to go back in.
Good luck with your engine rebuild and I wish I had your positive attitude to problems its a credit to you.
Frank

Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Aron Fridrik is on a distinguished road
man that's tough !

atleast the next time you'll drive it you won't have to worry about the engine

Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 PM
eyeain is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tphss
How can the engine over rev to 9000rpm? What happened to the rev-limiter?
By the way did this over rev come out in the PPI inspection?

Sorry to hear...
so its not a good idea to set the limiter higher with software tunning

Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eyeain
so its not a good idea to set the limiter higher with software tunning
The OP is referring to a money shift....aka: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=money%20shift

Old 02-27-2011, 10:12 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atisvt99
Thanks for the condolences... I've always been an avid believer in 'if it's meant to be, it will...' so this whole ordeal was obviously in my cards. Might as well play with the cards I'm dealt...

So, you're the 2nd person to suggest I remove the secondary air pump... I don't know much about this process. It is obviously a performance based mod (or delete), but my concern would be emissions... will I have a problem passing them after the fact?
fixing the coolant lines is a good idea, removing the air pump and plugging the lines, checking your IMS gearshaft.

Todd K has a fix for the emissions side of the air pump delete.

there is a company that makes a full gasket kit now that is easier and cheaper then ordering from the dealer.

are you going to do any internal engine mods?

ive done alot of research on this as i had an engine failure due to lack of give a damn by one of the board sponsor tuners. if you want to chat send me a PM and ill steer you in some directions that might help you out.

-William

Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
fixing the coolant lines is a good idea, removing the air pump and plugging the lines, checking your IMS gearshaft.

Todd K has a fix for the emissions side of the air pump delete.

there is a company that makes a full gasket kit now that is easier and cheaper then ordering from the dealer.

are you going to do any internal engine mods?

ive done alot of research on this as i had an engine failure due to lack of give a damn by one of the board sponsor tuners. if you want to chat send me a PM and ill steer you in some directions that might help you out.

-William
What are the drawbacks of the air pump delete? I'd love to see more info...

Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
What are the drawbacks of the air pump delete? I'd love to see more info...
having to reflash your ecu to pass emissions

Old 02-27-2011, 01:19 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
About broken chains..I experienced a tire spin under acceleration in 4th gear today (wet out there), and actually, after thinking a bit, I'm sure that this can cause a lot of stress on the chain too...

Think about it...the tires spin and at the moment they grip again, suddenly the engine takes a "hit" form the transmission...which in 4th or higher gears can be hard on it, due to the gear ratio effect..

Does this make sense to you guys?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:22 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I would hope the timing chains can withstand that kind of stress... But I'm no expert...

Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by emadelta86
About broken chains..I experienced a tire spin under acceleration in 4th gear today (wet out there), and actually, after thinking a bit, I'm sure that this can cause a lot of stress on the chain too...

Think about it...the tires spin and at the moment they grip again, suddenly the engine takes a "hit" form the transmission...which in 4th or higher gears can be hard on it, due to the gear ratio effect..

Makes sense, but think about the fact even though the gear ratio in 4th carries much more speed, it carries significantly less torque compared to the lower gears.
So the stress on the chain might be the same, although I'm sure if you calculate it then the ratio between the speed/torque is not linear.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:34 PM
GT2rainge is just really niceGT2rainge is just really niceGT2rainge is just really niceGT2rainge is just really nice
Originally Posted by emadelta86

As i've said in an earlier post i completely agree with that.
But the only thing i don't get is that it only seems to happen to gt2's or tt's,i've never heard of it happening to a gt3/rs. Maybe its to do with the extra torque finding the weak spots

Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
checking your IMS gearshaft.
Putting in the one piece GT3 IMS would be a very heads up move. If that OEM sprocket loosens up, you will have to tear down the entire motor to fix it. I know...had it happen last year. Very poor design and extremely costly repair. I found out about the one piece IMS a month after I had the job done or I would have used it - I just hope the new OEM IMS goes another 102K miles or more...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 PM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Some updates...

Hey there fellas,

It's been a while since I've posted anything of substance. First off, thanks to all for their concern, comments, suggestions, etc... I appreciate it!

So a few posts back, I was 'assuming' that the damage was not all that bad on the inside - I was right. The case has now been cracked and things seem to be in pretty good shape in there. I even found the only piece of the timing chain that broke off when it went... (a semi-circle end of the center link - the outer links snapped right in their respective middles) So I have the entire chain now and will hang it on the wall in my garage next to my collection of broken pistons, bent rods, exploded fuel lines, etc... We will of course, still take everything out and clean the hell out of it to make sure there is no metal anywhere it isn't supposed to be.

It turns out that my X50 motor does in fact have the dual pickup oil pump... not sure if this is the same as a GT3 RSR pump or not, but I think I'll stick with what I've got since this build cost is fast spiriling out of control.

So, my list of things being done to the motor as it goes back together:
  • Carrillo rods
  • GT3 IMS
  • Boattail the block - my shop is calling it a windage mod
  • Complete valve job with stock valves and 997 guides
  • Welding all water lines
  • *possibly* port job on the heads - not $ure yet
  • *possible* ARP headstuds - not sure here either, might just over-torque the factory ones???
  • *possibly* removing the Aux Air Pump - still toying around with this one

Other stuff that's being added/done while the motor is out:
  • USP hard piping kit (pre-turbo)
  • K24/18GXT upgrade
  • 83lb injectors
  • GT2 master/slave cyl conversion - the less common method (John D. style)
  • Upgraded clutch - leaning towards Sachs
  • Forge DVs
  • (Catted?) exhaust

So much for my BONE stock X50 car...

And I'm sure there are some other minor things that I'm missing... Please feel free to keep the suggestions coming. If it makes sense, and I can afford it, I'll certainly consider all that I'm hearing from fellow p-car owners.

Here are a few pics of the innards:

I'm now out of town on business travel for the next month... I hope to receive some photo updates from my builder along the way. If I get anything worth posting, I'll be sure to do just that!

Thanks again for all the feedback and input...

Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
I hope it goes good with the build!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Good luck with the build. Keep us updated

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Broken timing chain...